Understanding the Everquest playerbase

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Corwyhn Lionheart, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Aurastrider Augur

If after 20 years the devs don't know there customer base that's on them. It's nice to have the OPTION to test and provide input but not everyone has the time to play and be a free video game tester. Those with minimal playing time cant afford to spend 1/6th of the year testing a new expansion when they have not finished the current one. They depend on that 20+ years of development to do it right. If they fail that's on them at a cost as this playerbase will continue to get smaller and smaller as they find other ways to spend their time and money. The old "they always come back" isn't always true. I have known several hardcore and casuals alike who have taken a break and never returned.
  2. Bigstomp Augur

It sounds like you are saying we should not have an expansion because you are not done yet.

I'm happy to beta test. My xp bar is full, and has been for months.
  3. Aurastrider Augur

I am not sure how you came to this conclusion? Wulf is saying either test and give your input or keep your mouth shut. No other product or business that I know of operates this way. It places accountability of the product on the consumer instead of on the company that profits from its sales. Customer feedback is great and welcomed but ultimately it's a companies job to deliver a buyable product not the customers job to make sure a product is developed and made to be worth the money. I am happy there will be another expansion but as the consumer my responsibility is with my ability to pay for the product not its development. I have and will continue to buy expansions that i wont get much benefit from while current if they include my demographic in the design. If they fail to do so then there is zero reason for me to spend my hard earned money on it. I am happy for the extra levels but we will see about the actual content side and how they handle things.
    Spellfire likes this.
  4. Vumad Cape Wearer

EQ is so much more than raiding... It was designed as a MMORPG

That's like saying grade school is designed to get you INTO COLLEGE. While it may be true now, removing shop and all the trade school type courses have really stacked the cards against the trade school type of people from succeeding.

Ultimately what is hurting Everquest is a dwindling player base caused by the game having to evolved to exist only around end game content. Everquest needs those "filthy casuals" patching in groups, creating a community and so forth. Why? Because their presence in a MMO increases the appeal for early "low end" gameplay which is where the future raiders are recruited from.

Everquest has found its success in that it was the first and only quality 3D MMORPG for 5 years. People had well established lives and families in it before any real competition existed. That's why people stay here and that is why, like the prodical son, people end up returning. Norrath is a home.

Unfortunately, DBG has spent very little effort on encouraging new players to join us and very little to discourage boxing over true grouping. I do box, but the same reason others do. To fill the gaps in the dwindling player base.
  5. Tanise Elder

They also need to ask if they box and how many. Based on my experience since returning, I would estimate at least 70% of the community runs 2 or more toons with many running 3 or more. I personally have 2 boxed since around 2002. When mercs were introduced I tried cutting back on the cleric box but merc programming is so stupid that I had to keep the cleric.

And they need to factor that into development. Many newer things have been very boxer unfriendly.

They also need to fix mercs. I know a ton of people that do use them, but they are limited in what they can do because mercs are pathetic. Cry all you want about EQ being a social game but it's still hard to form groups of real players. This has become worse with the release of Wow classic and many of the people that had returned, have left again (go fig.)

Making mercs useful would probably bring/keep more people because they wouldn't be as limited to playstyle simply because they can't find players.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I have not complained, not once about how hard something is or AA changes or many of the other things you all are complaining about in the game. I have not requested changes to spa or spit or whatever raid is the hot topic.

I stated why I do not buy into the beta process.

Please stop taking offense at a person's right to state how they use their money and stop making assumptions that everyone is complaining.

No, I am not part of the solution cause I don't see your problem.
  7. AcemoneyFV Augur

The same people telling us to go BETA test are the same ones who said during TBL Beta that the devs ignored most feedback. :confused:
    Graves and CatsPaws like this.