Raid content for the non 1%

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Windance, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Frogbert New Member

I won't begin to make suggestions for future raid content, as I have not raided in about ten years. On a positive note: while there are certainly aspects of the group game that I would change if I had the power, that list is much smaller and easier to digest than the raid side of the game.

What I can do, however, is highlight the reasons I stopped raiding. By and large, my list is probably not worth reading; I certainly have no expectation that my reasons for increased disinterest in raiding over time are shared with anyone. My reasons distill to the following: there have been too many evolutions/devolutions of the game over the course of time to make raiding enjoyable for me. As similar issues accrue I tend to think other people will stop raiding/playing as well.

• Underfoot.
    • Excessive use of emotes with extreme reaction times and extreme punishments for missing the required action(s). I want to play a fantasy role-playing game, not Simon Says.
    • The prevalence of third-party programs being used to assist people playing the game. I have never and will never use one of those programs (to include voice chat, parsing, audio triggers outside of game, etc.). I'm not even speaking of programs that are used for cheating (or could be), as I /ignore anyone in game if I discover they use them . . . and I certainly wouldn't be knowingly guilded or grouped with them.
    • The inability to head back to solo old raids after many years, just to experience the content and maybe snag a cool clicky/weapon/whatever. When it became clear that this type of raid (forever un-soloable) was more and more common . . . I was less and less interested to even try current raids. I had/have no desire to support content creation that a large segment of the player base has no hope of ever completing due to designed restrictions (DoD, PoR, UF, HoT and probably many if not all of the expansions since then). I probably would have swallowed this pill if the raids were in the static zones, but as instances there is no reason to say: you can't come in here when you're level 999 and beat the snot out of these baddies because reasons.
    • This one might sound odd, but . . . that in-game chat feature you could use from the patcher without logging in. I really hated losing that. Trying to coordinate with people on different servers was a bit of a hassle when that went by the wayside.
    • I hated losing EQPlayers as well . . . I could check which people had/were missing which flags, aa, etc., on my own time. Sure, it wasn't perfect, but it was better than having nothing.
    • There are other tangents I could go on, but the real final straw for me was when gear became a non-choice. Standardized focus effect slots really irk me, too (as does the task window). There is no gear planning of consequence for anyone.
  2. p2aa Augur

Another problem that can happen in low tier raiding guilds is that the top player of this guild's class is not always also a top player of the class. For example, there can be a berserker (just an example, insert whatever DPS class you want here) that is topping parses in his low tier raiding guild and is seen by the guild as a player that plays his class to his fullest, but in a mid tier / high tier raiding guild he would be at most average versus other berserkers.
    The same can be said for non DPS classes too, like tanks or healers.
    So even if all other player of the low tier raiding guild would match the skill of the top player there, would not mean the guild's DPS or tanking or healing would be still enough important to beat events properly.
    Allayna likes this.
  3. Whulfgar Augur

I am all for individual raid achivements..

This way if x player fails their emot.. THEY.. don't get the achivement..

Punish a single .. rather then the entire..
    Zunnoab, Yinla and Allayna like this.
  4. Whulfgar Augur

If they truely are a decent player.. they will get the achievement if not.. that's 100% their own fault for not knowing how to pass a individual raid achiv.. and only they get punished for their own incompetence..
  5. Kleitus_Xegony Augur

Things like missed emote achievements would probably be doable by just staying out of the zone while everyone else does the event and then coming in at the end / before the chest was opened. There would be a lot of issues with doing it this way.
  6. Madeni Elder

Seriously
  7. Whulfgar Augur

That's why you disable.. such trickery.. If they have not faced the actual mechanic and defeated it personally.. then they can't zone in at end of raid at all.

This is how I would run it if I were a dev.
  8. Smokezz The Bane Crew

It's very good that you aren't a dev. For so many reasons.
    Zunnoab, Yinla, Jhenna_BB and 3 others like this.
  9. Ibudin Augur

At least the hardest raid of TBL is the very last raid which only locks a few items of loot behind it, and achievements to increase the chase loot some points. Its a nice way to boost those who can do it, and not completely crippling to those who can't do it. Would of been horrible if it was the road block to 2-3 event. I thought TBL was well done, and I am one of those in a guild who is stuck at the last event, but we haven't really tried all that hard yet either.
    Yinla and Coagagin like this.
  10. Kleitus_Xegony Augur

It's probably not worth "fighting" the players to stop all the "trickery" that they'd come up with. So you take a death and not get rezzed in until a certain mechanic is over but before the chest is opened. Maybe you find a safe place in the zone to go and hide in. Some things never hit the main tank, so auto-achievements for them. etc....

It's not that I hate this idea but I can see it being a real pain in the butt to implement. It would add extra complexity to all of the raids for them to plan for. They have enough pain and misery to deal with. Why add more right now when they have a system that works?
  11. Vumad Cape Wearer

Always wondered why chatfontsize is not linear...
  12. Lianeb Augur

I always loved the emote fail punishment from the second arx mentis one off raid. You fail twice you are banished from the zone and can’t return until the event is over.
    Allayna and Maedhros like this.
  13. Allayna Augur

Should lock 'em out of loot from that chest too imo. Spoils go to victors.
    Travestii and Spellfire like this.
  14. Spellfire Augur

I like this :D.

I wonder if it would cure some peoples nonchalant attitude to emotes.
  15. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Taking this a step further, every raid should have a jail like Sanctus Somnium raid. Fail a mechanic, you're banished to the jail hovering over the raid until the event is won or it resets. A little public humiliation is good for the ego.
  16. Bamboompow Augur

There are supposedly still some guilds that will boot people from raids on the first offense of emote fail. Especially if there is a sideline bench full of people waiting. Fail emote? Grats, you are out for the night. No DKP. No loot. Doesn't matter who you are or why.
  17. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Some of us boot people out of the raid for THINKING about failing an emote too!
    Yinla, Mintalie, Voxynn and 3 others like this.
  18. Tucoh Augur

Nothing keeps a raiding force in line like a bench of hungry backups waiting for you to fail an emote.

[IMG]
  19. Voxynn Elder

Ain't that what RoV does?
  20. Tucoh Augur

No idea, it's just what I did for years, many years ago.