GMM – Let’s get this over with.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tappin, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Lianeb Augur

What the heck is autogrant!!

Darkness Howls HA
    DH HA
    Coincidence? I think not
  2. Bamboompow Augur

Its called TLP servers.

The point of this thread and countless others like it is that the proposed "Another way to help" is that there IS no way to help and there WON'T be a way to help. At least as far as LIVE servers go with built in mechanisms. You have to go out and grind them out the slow and painful way, deal with the community at large, deal with the logistics of getting a competent group and hope your guild is patient. All the while dealing with cliques, the secretive, the obtuse and people being jerks in general. Which is just people being people. They might not even be doing it on purpose. They just want to play and be left to do their own things and they expect their peers to share that approuch. There is no requirement that anyone has to help out anyone else or that the game mechanics be designed to take up that role. Thankfully there are also people who do chose to care. The game devs didn't come up with all that. Players did.

The so called top 10 guild here is not patient and a bit more old guard. You have to know your stuff or they boot you out from their raids. They won't immediately toss you out of the guild but you might get busted down to the minors if you don't un-EF yourself pronto. Some of the guilds that are ahead of them in the so called hierarchy ARE patient and want to develop their members which might say something of why they are ahead. Probably quite a few are not because not everyone respects that approach. Projects requires WORK and back in the day you had to be guud or get gone so that nurturing/development of "project" members was not a thing back in the day. If that is the attitude of those running that show, then it is going to manifest itself in complaints that the game design is turning out bad players. They would rather the game be fixed to their liking than do the work. Which is reasonable. People are busy and don't have time for that crap. Ultimately also there is always some sour grapes from those who took the "correct" path of toil and hardship when a shortcut presents itself later. So we get nerfs, more contempt in the community and more people pushed into TLP where the pace is a bit slower.

I don't envy the dev team at this point. They have to find that Goldilocks Zone of difficulty. Or they can just accept that more casual players are going to herd into TLP where the playing field for EVERYONE is level and there are at least a greater potential of other people to group with in abundance. Which might also make good sense from the EQ as a business perspective. Maybe later some of those TLP players can transfer to LIVE, since they learned "the right way". LIVE can than remain a situation where the difficulty has to appeal to those who are expecting a challenge to equate to the skills they have mastered in the past 20 years. Hard to say if TLP can churn out enough bodies to fill those raid rosters tho.
  3. Grabatz Lorekeeper

Maybe we should wait and see if the changes to GMM HA feel like the gracious gift all eq players (not only the overpowered high end raiders) received for the 20th anniversary was being nerfed.
    And if so, we should start a tradition to curse the OP in OOC upon requesting a HA - just like some marathon runners (after 1908) curse the british queen (historically Queen Alexandra) during the last 2 kilometers (1.2 miles) of a marathon! :D

In my opinion TBL was a slap in the face for casual players and only GMM made it bearable (albeit only for all-access casuals due to everything being prestige). If i knew last december what i know now, i wouldn't have spent money on TBL! And even better: GMM came for free, no need to own TBL.

This thread should have been locked on page one, long before it drew the devs attention. :rolleyes:
  4. Bamboompow Augur

Pretty much, but its not against the rules.

From the 25 July 2019 Forum Rules Update:

Nerf Calls - Openly calling for "Nerfs" (blanket reductions to abilities) is not allowed. If you feel something is overpowered or needs to be toned back, post your constructive comments and explanations.

So that means posting a thread calling for nerfs is not Ok but it IS Ok as long as you abide by the "Constructive comments and explanations" guideline. A loop hole you can fly a Death Star through wouldn't you say?
    Yinla likes this.
  5. Bamboompow Augur

6. Funky Augur

lmfao... so, make them immune to melee damage, spell damage and riposte? basically make them impossible to kill all together?

Pally and SK self healing is what makes this possible to solo. a warrior could solo no problem also if they had self healing, but they dont, so they can molo it just fine.
  7. Bottle Journeyman

I did now a bigger dive into this GMM HA because I wanted to know how the hell can somebody tank 27 at once?

Yes it is possible to tank 10-15+. But what is left out - it makes a hell difference which mobs you tank in that mission. If you tank mobs which give experience then they hit a lot harder then all other mobs which give no experience. I had a train coming because of a wrong pull. It added up to 15+ and I was suprised that I can do it at L108 as a SK with ease while having wipes in the past. This are the gnome mobs. But not a single one of this whimpies gave ANY XP!!!!

So it seems that there are a lot of mobs which are weak but give no xp and a smaller number of mobs which hit harder and give xp. Or this HA is nerfed since around 2 weeks.

If a raider pulls all the weaklings and kills them then he does

a) get no xp
    b) get big negative faction hits which are not correctable through normal gameplay

So having 27 - like here in the thread said - mobs on a pull would be possible but pretty useless and clearing the whole zone makes no sense. Or are raiders meanwhile so powerful that they can do that with the normal mobs? Or is it simply a wrong number?

So here my question again:

What SDPS do

a) group geared
    b) raid geared

have when equpped with the appropriate weapons for TBL? Any clues? What are your numbers in your groups (esp. if you mastered all TBL missions)?
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  8. Natal Augur

It is not a question of "getting good". By any objective measure GMM is far too easy for the rewards offered (best in game for group players) and the mount of xp gained. This is a balance issue. If you have end game rewards in content that presents no challenge at all it makes the actual challenging content pointless. The FF evolving items fall into that category as well IMO.

Best in game items should require a lot of effort and present considerable difficulty, which GMM clearly does not.

If GMM presented the same level of difficulty, but had a bad ZEM with tier 1 level gear drops, then it would be fine. But that is not what happens. It provides very good xp and end game drops at a trivial level of difficulty. That is what is wrong with the zone in terms of design.
  9. Natal Augur

The mobs we are mass pulling are the orcs. Tanking that many is entirely possible because their hits are so weak. They DO give xp (a LOT of xp, you can easily rack up 50-60 AA in half an hour from killing, and that is not including the AA on completion of the HA). They are basically level 95 mobs giving level 110 xp, that is the problem with this zone balance wise.

Most of the damage to the mobs is done by riposte. So, the weapon you have is relatively unimportant, as long as it has a big base damage value and you are in hunker down mode. Basically a shield with a long delay weapon in the main hand. Wurmslayer works well for this, especially if you have the invested one, but any of the melee raid weapons will do (these are not that hard to get if you guest with a mid tier raiding guild for a bit). On these mass pulls mobs will often die or almost die to ripostes alone, depending on how big the pull is.
  10. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I don't think many people are tanking "27". Only place you could do that is the final step, and you'd have to run around aggroing everything in there, letting all that stuff warp to you, etc. Don't see much point, just run through and grab 3-6 at a time and kill them that way, doubt you save more than 2-3 minutes pulling that entire area, and there is no way you don't die sometimes.

I died a couple times pulling 11 at once, through some bad luck. But almost impossible to die with 6.
  11. Bamboompow Augur

Really? Those things are a PITA to totally evolve. So that's easy mode? Ok. Whatever you say.

Ok. Can you define that "considerable difficulty" metric? it seems a bit arbitrary. Is it "Esteemed longstanding member in top 5 guild with perfect RA, top of parses who is so awesome that the best gear is probably an entitlement people pass on to you in-spite of them having more DKP? Quest that takes literally all expac to finish even when devoting 50 hours a week to it. Only 3 people game wide obtain and all 3 are in RoI?"

Be definitive. Don't just say more difficult than "Zone in. Kick mob in the junk. Win.".

Then no one would go there and it would be a waste of the Dev's precious man-hours. Other than to level up those other easy mode items you mentioned that probably should be banished into oblivion. *rolleyes*. Hardcore got a whole expac to play in. Casuals got a ....zone. Added months later.

It was a special zone for a big round number Anniversary. For EVERYONE. Maybe it should have sank back under the waves in entirety (or at least the HA's) when the rest of the Anniversary stuff faded off into the rear view. That might have done the least damage but instead they tied it into the whole TBL mechanics. But hey, you didn't get to decide that at your pay-grade, did you?

Putting that zone in was a dev decision and a management decision. Devs are not free range chickens. Some suit type has to green light those decisions. Sometimes they have to pander to those filthy casuals to bring in money to keep your hobby/obsession whatever you want to call it financially viable as well as affordable. I like playing this game too but I am not going to pay 300 dollars for an expac or 50 dollars a month for a sub. I can go to the bar and maybe bring home something far more fun for that payout.

Anyway, poor DBG. Now they have a PR quandary yet again. Piss off their most adherent players or piss off their largest revenue base. Sucks to be you, Absor and the Gang.

Decent read:
    https://plusmana.com/casual-and-hardcore-players-history-of-hatred/

We will NEVER all get along. Never. Maybe we can try to not destroy each other however?
  12. Nennius Curmudgeon

Can I pass that advice along? Lots of folks nowadays seem to think that if you disagree it is grounds for hatred. I have stayed mostly out of this debate, but that quote was very worth reading. Thank you.
    Gana and Sissruukk like this.
  13. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

No offense taken. It's in our DNA to try to make raiders out of casuals. Our original raid force like 8 semi raid geared folks and all groupers in RoF. We've finished between 6 and 10 overall since the final tier of cotf I believe.
    Spellfire and Bamboompow like this.
  14. Bamboompow Augur

Good on yah! Keep up the good work! :D
  15. Spellfire Augur

16. Drakang Augur

Thanks for making it harder on people that do raid to refill all their AAs with limited play time since everything was dialed up to make the Glyphs almost a requirement at times. This was a nice way to get the 200+AAs restored without impacting time to go do other things.
    Dsuna likes this.
  17. Bigstomp Augur

The faction hit is fixable.
    Killing orcs gives 2 faction
    Killing gnomes gives -1 faction

But there is no reason to pull the gnomes at all.
    They are not social with the orcs and give no xp (they can give some TS items).
    Sure, you can catch one by mistake with an AE but I doubt most people pull them on purpose except for maybe a charmer that's in a bad spot just to get it out of the way.
  18. Brohg Augur

That's Memorial Gnomework, not Iron Legion
  19. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Except when it is the 20th anniversary.
  20. Windance Augur

I hope you reduce the amount of mobs you have to kill at each point in the quest to offset the increase in killing each one.

I also hope you increase the drop rate / spawn rate of the named to reflect the increase time requirement. Having to do a harder version of this mission 15+ times to get the aug for a single character on "hard" mode is going really suck for anyone who hasn't gotten it yet.
    Caell and Yinla like this.