Blatant botting is completely out of hand

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by JeffHanson, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I think I don't notice in most cases because if I see a camp is camped I usually just move on and don't stay long enough to notice. I dont think anyone should be autobotting but unless someone points it out to be I don't go looking for it. Generally the only time I might wait around is if people are already at a camp but aren't fighting at all. Then I will wait 10-15 minutes to see if the camp is really open and they are just sitting there.

Only time I notice is when I REALLY want a certain camp bad enough to sit by the side and patiently wait until its available. That and it being someone botting has only happened twice. Once was years ago when I wanted a certain camp for the cloak of ancient flame (close of ancient flame?) you know the one.

Now I know it happens a lot more then that I am just saying I never stick by already camped camps long enough to see it happen.
  2. divirgmar Lorekeeper

Botting, ok, I can see. But what about one player, farming for rare drops for Tradeskills, in a mid level zone that is rarely occupied. Stands in an area for- say - 2 days- auto looting and maybe auto-goes AFK while monsters bump into him and he auto kills. Just to farm enough rare drops to TS. But is not there all the time, and eventually leaves. Said person who ahs had a subbed account for well over 15 years and has played on a one account one player server, with a supreme rep until the evil came in some 6 years ago and all this took place.
    And some snowflake comes by, petitions, and this person gets banned for 3 days.
    They are not botting, once they have enough they leave.
    Asking for a friend o_O (twilight sea)
    Leerah likes this.
  3. Gana Augur

If you killed a mob while afk (doesn't matter if you are botting, merc/pet killing or riposte killing), it is a violation of the unattended play policy and you are subject to the punishment for it. Let your friend know that if you are going to be away for - say - 2 days - to go somewhere where (s)he cannot kill mobs. Otherwise, it may snow for longer than 3 days.
  4. Whulfgar Augur

After reading some of these posts .. some of the very people posting .. are some that do the very thing the person who started the thread .. is ticked off about ..

LMFAO
  5. Cailen Augur

Glad they are taking this serious they just suspended me a week for solo killing grey cons for a slayer achievement. Much more important than going after the krono farmers. Don't fall asleep at the computer
    Leerah likes this.
  6. Whulfgar Augur

Curious.. how you fell asleep yet still kept casting spells as a caster to kill gray con mobs ?
    Nennius likes this.
  7. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I suffer from a bit of insomnia from time to time - like no sleep for up to 3 days at a time. If I'm camping a named, I tend to find a hiding spot nearby and invis just in case I pass out lol. I've never been warned or suspended in game as a 20 year player, I'm not doing it camping greys haha
  8. Cailen Augur

gaming keyboard and a simple macro key for pet attack, I wasn't casting spells there smart guy. or using 3rd party software if I was using 3rd party software it would have ceased my activity when a GM entered the zone that's how the true abusers get away with it.
    Leerah likes this.
  9. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Just ignore that guy. That's what the rest of us do. ;)
  10. Cadira Augur

Doesn't gaming keyboard require 3rd party software to do automation? lol. At least mine does.
  11. Cailen Augur

lol..... is the only reply this is worthy of. especially to someone who's banestrike is 1 of 4
  12. Laronk Augur

The real problem, for the gm to come to you. Someone most likely reported you for killing a grey while they thought you were afk. As far as the keyboard, it is 3rd party software but it's dumb to suspend someone because they had a keyboard macro going or they had a merc out or a pet killing things that attacked you.

Lets say your 6 year old is playing in the back yard, you're playing EQ. Then your child falls out of a tree and breaks his arm you hear his scream and go to him and find him with that broken arm. You take your child to the hospital, his arm gets set and he has a cast you all get home and you've been suspended from EQ because "afk farming" all because you're using a keyboard to go 1 1 1 1 1.

There are actually people here on the forums that think you should be suspended and that you should of taken the time to go back to your computer and logged off properly. In another more likely happening, you have the laptop out on the couch with a mage and the pet is killing a spawn for a quest with a cleric merc out and you're watching TV. Your phone rings, its a booty call you forget about the laptop and you end up getting suspended. Again some people here think you should be suspended for that.
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

No the real problem is then someone would be saying their kid broke their arm several times a month whenever they got caught afk killing.

Does anyone have any actual information on DBG "banning" someone for a first incident of passive afk killing (ie merc or riposte) or is it more likely people get a suspension of a couple days or a warning?

I gotta think the player whose kid breaks their arm is going to be so busy with that for a couple days they won't even notice a suspension or care about it. Well a good parent that is.
    code-zero likes this.
  14. Laronk Augur

No one really gets banned as far as I know, you get a couple day vacation.
  15. Cailen Augur

one week suspension
  16. Laronk Augur

But really any kind of suspension from a passive or mostly passive type deal is dumb. Pretty much by the rules you have to go invis or go somewhere safe if you're going to poop or make a sandwich, it's stupid.
    Leerah likes this.
  17. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

In the end DBG has no wish whatsoever to be having to decide which excuse for going afk is good or not. And suddenly EVERYONE would have an excuse whenever they were caught AFK killing.

Back in the early days of eq I knew a player who would convince they lost their gear due to a bug and get new gear. When actually they had sold the old stuff. You may think but hey they would check all that. Apparently not. Back when gear stayed on corpses all sort of scams were prevalent. This is why companies have to draw a line.

So lets see how this works out. The odds of a GM randomly coming and noticing you afk killing when taking a bio break or making a sandwich have got to be incredibly small. Even if someone reported you for afk killing (and lets say you weren't) again the odds of a GM coming by and noticing you just when y ou were afk for 5 minutes incredibly small. Or do y ou think the GMS have time to sit by for hours just waiting for you to go take a crap so they can nab you?

Odds of a gm catching you afk killing when thats what you have been doing for 12 hours much much more likley. If you are taking a 12 hour crap please seek a doctor's attention immediately.
  18. Windance Augur

#1 - DB should never have put in PoP hunter for the chase gear. No one in their right mind wants to go ripping through zones killing grey cons for days to get some check mark, so of course people are going to up a toon with a pet or merc to cycle PHs and AFK over night.

#2 - There is a huge difference between someone who is AFK in a stationary spot relying on their merc / pet to kill something that auto aggroed, and someone who as automated an entire group and is actively grinding XP / current gear / ultra rare items to sell.

#3 - I would love the dev's to tell us what kind of evidence we need to proved to get people who are doing really abusing the game suspended / banned.
    Leerah, Mintalie and Cailen like this.
  19. Cadira Augur

Lol is the response for someone saying they don't use third party software when....they do in fact. To afk kill no less. Enjoy your banestrikes! My cleric dps has been lacking lately I should probably work on banestrikes level.
    Dracolindus and Allayna like this.
  20. Laronk Augur

The pop hunter stuff is ridiculous as some of the ones on the list are so freaking rare, if you don't afk it's almost a miracle to get them. And then some people get to have the advantage of being part of a guild that "raids" them so they don't even need to be in the same freaking zone.
    Leerah likes this.