So about that aa trumpet sound...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ravanta Suffer, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Ravanta Suffer Augur

I know I'm weird for playing with sounds in EQ (don't worry I am not a total heathen, I don't use combat music) but the only issue for me is that the AA trumpet sound is annoying.

I'm sure once I find the file it would be easy to disable. Could just edit it to be something silent and bypass the patcher.

Can't seem to find the file though. Anyone happen to know? There's over 2700 sound effects in the sounds folder...
  2. Nniki Augur

2650 wav files with a combined duration of 2 hours 30 minutes and 45.518 seconds and 75 mp3 files with a combined duration of 30 minutes and 47.423 seconds. Over 3 hours of sound in that sounds folder!

Unfortunately, you're probably looking for a sound that's packed into one of the 17 pfs files.

Quite a few previous posts asking about this sort of thing.
    Mar 2017 - https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/disabling-specific-sound-effects.238959/
    Oct 2014 - https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...-control-for-ridiculously-loud-sounds.214568/
    Aug 2014 - https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/changing-sound-effects.212978/
    Nov 2013 - https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/aa-ding-sound.205150/
    Oct 2013 - https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/enough-rolling-thunder-already.204366/
  3. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Aye, my search-fu is a little weak nowadays. Thanks for posting links to those threads. I grabbed the app that was posted and looked for fanfare.wav, didn't see that in any of the pfs files but I did find that it is another file.

If anyone else sees this, it's located in snd2.pfs and in that file it is endquest.wav

Personally I just made a half second silent sound in audacity as a 16bit wav, named it accordingly and inserted it into the .pfs using s3dspy.

Skipped the patcher, and happy to report that it works. :)
    Nniki likes this.
  4. Travestii Elder

Nominated next for the half second sound byte of silence: The Abominable Helicoper Mount Hullabaloo
    Annastasya and Elyssanda like this.
  5. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Yeah, I would totally use a jetpack mount but I prefer skeleton illusion and don't like the crouch thing that it (and carpets) have.
  6. Flatchy Court Jester

I could do without the damn skeletons cackling during a fight.
    Herf likes this.
  7. Ravanta Suffer Augur

If you're wanting to tone their volume down or remove them...the files you are looking for are in snd4.pfs and are skelatt1.wav and skelatt2.wav

As for me...I'm personally adding them as notification alerts in my phone!
    Prathun and Flatchy like this.
  8. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I don't think you're weird for playing with sound, I think it's weird to assume anybody would not use any sound. Why not take it another step backward and remove the graphics - just go back to MUDs :D

My biggest sound gripe is AWFUL sound my brand new flying carpet makes in any new zones (no horrible sound in old zones, it seems to be limited to the new expansion's zones). Just sounds like television static, but it's so loud it drowns out everything else.
  9. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Those were the reason I turned off sound in EQ way back in 2001 or so. Though I have recently made it the notification sound on my phone... for a short time.
  10. Flatchy Court Jester

I am a total heathen and actually play with the fight music on. I guess part of the reason I do that is because there has been a time or two when I pull something and an messing about with a box and noticed that I am not even attacking on Flatch. The music lets me know. Then there are some audio triggers I have set up that I want to be able to hear. I know most people play music when they play but I really only do that when I am trade skilling.
    Herf likes this.
  11. kizant Augur

Why do you hate one of the few truly good things in this game?
    Nennius and Ravanta Suffer like this.
  12. Ravanta Suffer Augur

I first got into EQ because I was playing majormud and someone on the board (might have been the person who ran it) told me I should check out EQ. Never went back, but after all this time I have always come back to EQ.
  13. Flatchy Court Jester

Because it is not logical for a skeleton to make any sounds out of its "mouth". Then again what is logical about most of this game heh.
    Nennius likes this.
  14. Diptera Augur

Or move its arms without tendons or muscles... :) #TeamSnakesThatKick
  15. Ravanta Suffer Augur

This is quite the necro post, but did you ever happen to come across what sound file it was?
  16. Pintoy 3 Journeyman

I haven't heard an EQ sound in many years. I watch TV or movies while playing so my sound is set to zero. Either EQ is a distraction from what I'm watching or what I'm watching is a distraction from EQ.
  17. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

People who play games without sound ARE heathens. o_O
    Thunderkiks likes this.
  18. Herf Augur

Rangers firing bows while in wolf form - kill them now.
  19. Velisaris_MS Augur

Oh man...I've had the wolf form illusions blocked for so many years, I totally forgot that was a thing. :p
    Nennius likes this.
  20. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Just seeing this thread now because of the necro, but man, the AA trumpet and the cackling skeletons are some of my favorite EQ sounds :)