Raid enrage timers.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Horyuken, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Horyuken Augur

So moving forward it would be nice if when requesting a raid we have 2 options.
    Both raids are identical with one exception.

Raid choice A has no enrage time.
    If we can maintain a raid for 40 minutes( follow emotes, keep up mana, DPS, handle the onslaught of adds etc) we should still get a win.

This is just as big an accomplishment as finishing in under 20 minutes.

Raid choice B, 15-18 minute enrage time.
    For guilds that push the limits and dominate content let them chose this route, give them a bonus chest with 10 extra currency, extra spells, and an armor piece.

This helps them because it provides a challenge and allows them to get to the end zone faster and proves just how much better they're at the game.

Nothing is a bigger waste of time than spending 20 minutes to get some mechanic that is an instant DT at 4 percent.

Often raids will fall behind for failing an emote or raid mechanic that is unavoidable because of server lag and raid lag. Also the random nature of emotes and who an add spawns on is totally up to RNG and this can put a raid behind by a few minutes and if you don't have 54 people you can't make up the time.

Please don't say GET BETTER, some guilds can not field 6 berserkers with 6 bards to dominate content.

This should allow for a more balanced raid approach for guilds that have massive DPS.
  2. Axxius Augur

I guess there is nothing to say then. ;)

We beat the expansion with 1 berserker and 3 (sometimes 4) bards.
    Elyssanda and Sathayorn like this.
  3. Verily Tjark Augur

With the way loot is done in the last couple expacs, you can defeat tier 1 stuff and get all the same armor pieces. I guess some stuff is still locked on vendor, but with multiple muhbis per chest, you can gear up a raid force without ever clearing a whole expansion.

That being said... hard mode could be fun. I'm all for more raid options.
  4. Fullwin Journeyman

2 cents from someone whose guild has beaten the expansion (though I don't know what constitutes "massive DPS" versus average DPS these days, I'm a cleric so I don't pay much attention to zerkers or bards :) ), there shouldn't need to be the complexity of easy/hard mode timers or differences in loot.

Better would be to just design the raids to avoid needing enrage timers at all... if some guild takes 25-30 minutes to beat an event instead of 15-20, but they can keep their players alive that long and kill what needs killing and deal with whatever mechanics there are, I don't see why it's so horrible for them to get a win and that set amount of loot. They're going to get less done overall and the inefficiency and boredom alone (and pride!) should be enough incentive for them to want to play better.

Or if not that, I still agree that enrage timers shouldn't be an immediate auto-fail (I know in Mearatas that UEE regen is basically an auto-fail, though I haven't seen us go past other timers)... enrage should just make the raid increasingly more difficult to win over time (ramp up boss damage or increase other mechanics) but at least leave a small window for guilds to eke out a win here and there even with a flawed run.
    Verily Tjark, Yinla and Duder like this.
  5. Dahaman Augur

This difficulty level idea can be implemented without creating an entire second raid by having the boss eating a key at the "hard mode" time limit. The key would have opened that extra chest for those bonus rewards (not better, just more) you listed.

Oh, and have the boss say when eating the key: "Get Good Already!"
  6. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

most enrage timers do exactly what you're saying they should do. boss hits harder, adds spawn faster, etc. but one has to realize that in every expansion there *needs* to be a simple DPS check event or two.

the killer of UEE is that it's the "everything check" event.... as an end of expansion event should be. don't do enough DPS? you can't win.... can't follow emotes? you can't win... issues with CC/bane? so sorry.... can't tank or heal good? maybe next year! IMO every expansion should have one event of this caliber... and it should always be the final event unlocked for the expansion.
    Xeladom and Sancus like this.
  7. p8aa Elder

Seems you complain about UEE mearatas raid. You don't need 6 berserkers and 6 bards to beat this raid. It's logical to have the last raid of the expansion hard. So sorry to say it but yes play better, or wait for new expansion lvl cap to beat this raid or wait for next round of nerfs to this raid.
  8. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

End game raids should be hard. Not everyone should be able to beat the final raid of an expansion while currant. Sorry if you think the mechanics make the raid too hard. Learn to overcome them. That's what makes EQ fun. Overcoming things which seem impossible.
  9. Allayna Augur

We beat UEE on the regular, I can see where people would be frustrated to get it to zero only to have him enrage and insta-regen. If you can control the raid for 99% I don’t think it should be unbeatable due to a time contraint.
    Duder and Yinla like this.
  10. Cailen Augur

Wait UEE is hard? omg did they un-nerf it??? ;)
  11. Whulfgar Augur

Git gooder..

Enrage timers are here to stay..

Participation trophies .. aka if we can survive a raid for 40 min we should get a win too ... mentality is every thing wrong with society today..

Learn the mechanics get a strat .. hold to individual performance standards across the board. If your guilds dps sucks.. recruit.. If your guilds healing sucks.. recruit.. If your guilds tanks suck.. recruit..

End of thread..
  12. Piemastaj Augur

Events that have an enrage timer should NOT have various times where the Boss is unkillable. That is an incredibly dumb mechanic and hurts guilds more than the enrage timer (at least on UEE).

Enrage should stay though. Having an event like Sepulcher 5 take 2 hours because of no enrage and overall stupid mechanics/phases was just awful.
  13. Maedhros High King

6 Bards would be helpful for UEE, but I will gladly trade 6 berserkers for 6 other dps classes with more bane casts!

Definitely think the enrage timer on UEE is unnecessary, but on some other raids it is a mercy.
    Yinla likes this.
  14. Duder Augur

Enrage timers help them design events. Saying there should be no enrage timers is like saying that there should be no repercussion for an emote fail. Its part of the designed event. The fact that there are no enrage timers for T1 EoK/RoS/TBL goes to show that they are throwing a bone to folks. But to advance beyond T1 you must be atleast "this tall". Its part of the progression of raids.
  15. Laronk Augur

As long as they don't add enrage timers to tier 1 then I think they're fine specially if they do this muhbis thing again next expansion. If stratos, smoke and fire had enrage timers then it wouldn't be great (though if your dps is too low in stratos it gets really really hard to handle)
    Duder likes this.
  16. Duder Augur

DPS checks and enrage timers - Two different things
    Allayna likes this.
  17. Zolav Augur

Said berserker here!

We do have some beastly rogues and monks and wizzies though, well all the dps in the guild is beastly... ~Insert shameless Triton plug here~
    Duder likes this.