Working on my shaman improvement

Discussion in 'Priests' started by ptah, Aug 28, 2019.

1. ptah Augur

110 shaman alt here. 20k AA a bit low. but it an alt.. and 7th or 8th teir alt
    Working to improve my non box shaman duty.

In the pass I focus on healing and letting others fearless dps or tank. Six or so spells mashing away with some Adps.. but 90% hyper healer role.

Now I believe I need grow up.. and adjust.. play a more flexible roll of healing as needed but Dot bombing and Adps. The problem im having I clueless to shaman dots.

Atm I use 3 or 4.
    Combine dot
    2 fast dots the 2 tick one.. I love mutli targets.. but maybe longer dots would be better here
    magic dot

Content is most tbl.. so im AE rooting often.. and still healing.. but people just love a healing merc over another dps.. so I feel I need offer more to the group.. and working on improving my role.

Gear is mix of GMM, ros pick up raids.. both scaleborn and conflag mod stuff, 100% Hsta
    Eok neck.

Thanks ahead of time.
  2. Moldar Augur

If you're looking for a balance of group healing and DPS then you're going to want your healing spells to be:

Cloud of Renewal (mostly for synergy)
    Spiritual Squall
    Reckless heal 110
    Reckless heal 105
    Eryzekla's Recourse

For Dots it is going to depend on your group makeup, but I tend to use the following:

Chaotic Poision (combo poision)
    Pandemic (combo disease)
    ** if you're using these do not use "fast" dots they will not stack
    Ergo's Curse (magic dot 1)
    Jinx (magic dot 2)

At this point that gives you 5 big dots on the target. Depending on your killing speed the mana expenditure might be a bit too nvm high so make sure to pace yourself.

Typing from my phone but you get the general jist
  3. Liin Edud (Tunare) Augur

A few extra items.

I always have Prehistoric Intervention memmed in every spell set I have. This and Soothsayer's Intervention(AA) are your uh-oh buttons.

Incapacity on the MA and any fool DPS who regularly pulls off aggro

ROAR. ALL. THE. TIME.
    While Roar doesn't proc synergy its about 80% of the group heal that Cloud of Renewal does and they stack along with a mighty DD proc. Don't forget to turn on auto attack and make sure even the casters are too. I don't raid so I'm limited to Dissident Rank 4 but its a regular 100k proc for me when it crits. (17.5k when it doesn't)

Include with rabid bear form as you can for the stat increases, the group rune, the DD and Dot and the extra healing.

Epic 2.0 all the time.

Shaman Spire 3 is great too but there are some stacking issues to be aware of depending on who you're grouping with, so you might go Spire 1 if need be.

Every mob gets an AA slow (with languid going) as well as an AA malo.
  4. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

shaman DPS is the suck if you compare yourself to any real damage dealer... but if you insist, the above advice isn't bad.

if you're using combination dots you will be mana intensive... but if your group dps is reasonable then using combination dots is also a horrible waste of mana. with decent dps, use your fast dots + 2 magic dots (curse/jynx), and have languid bite enabled. that's 5 dots stacked on every mob, and not such a mana suck that you'll have to med every few pulls. its' not great dps, but throw on roar and the epic while you melee and you'll pull reasonable numbers.
  5. ptah Augur

Thanks for replies and suggests.. but I think we getting a little of topic and misinformation moving forward.

The goal was improve the play of the shaman. Maybe I didn't offer great detail but it was improve that was the goal. Average group with or without a merc. I understand and enjoy healing without a backup but at times we don't have the players so 1 or 2 merc are used. So I wanted advice on improvement when im not primary healer. Yes I largely was casting few dots.. but was seeking how to improve it.

100% im not comparing shaman dps to that a dps class. The compare is more so merc dps with shaman healing or healing merc with shaman dps. Add in support as needed. That is role I wanted to improve and I think zipped over that detail.

Yes I dodge the rants.. my shaman don't have his 2.0.. should I mean he really really should.. but he don't atm. Between evol xp grind and way too many alts. its 103 on list much longer in pov of importance.

I have not med once in past few years on shaman. I use canni both AA and spell, Mrod if that is around, yes I would need med if peak of the event was longer than 22 mins.. but honestly what outside of raids is running that hard that long?

Thanks again for imput, sounds like I need put Roar in mash a bit more often.. I cast it but not 100% uptime, enjoy third spire most of time, and use aid often.

Enjoy the class for the flexible theory of play but largely focus on healing.. trying to be a better shaman everyday.
  6. Tappin Augur

What DoTs you use depends on what mobs you’re killing and how long it takes to kill. In most groups (even in TBL), it’s not worth casting anything more than slow AA + Malo AA + Curse + Swift DoTs, + Poison Nuke. Everything is dead at that point. Assuming you’re a backup healer, I’d focus on AoE heals (use AA group heal if you aren’t) and use Reckless only when absolutely necessary.

If you’re going up against a mission named - I’d swamp out swift DoTs for others an go with DPS burn. I don’t use a mount in these scenarios and use the action sit to interrupt a long casting spell if tank in a pinch.
  7. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

I never felt the AA reqs for usable AAs for shaman were that deep. As my primary shaman closed in on 28k AA I felt pretty much everything was there. So if you are 20k AA you are at the point where its starting to be icing on the cake stuff.
  8. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

if you don't have your 2.0 and aren't making that your top priority for the character, then you don't actually want to improve.

stop wasting everyone's time.
    Raccoo, Danaleigh and Brohg like this.