Which belt is better!?

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Sithsonn, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Sithsonn Elder

Anyone out there parse the melee belt vs caster belt for sks? Help a brother out and maybe save me some raid points!
  2. Lianeb Augur

Go parse the group belts they have the same effects.
  3. Drogba Augur

caster belt.
    Sithsonn likes this.
  4. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Want that caster belt =(
  5. Sithsonn Elder

Caster belt it is then, thanks Drogba. I already have the melee one so just didn't know if i needed to get it or not
  6. blinder Journeyman

I'd give up a kidney for a 5 luck Lost Gypsy Belt
    Sithsonn likes this.
  7. Tucoh Augur

bruh it's not worth it, don't do it!
  8. Maedhros High King

RIP
  9. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

A certain FQ Champion I know parsed Boon v. Threads at my harassment request and dps wise, it wasn’t particularly close, sadly.

With his permission could post some of the detail/maths.
    Sithsonn, Spellfire and Sancus like this.
  10. Sithsonn Elder

I would love to see those
  11. Spellfire Augur

Are you on vacation sir? I was hoping we can see some numbers ...
    Sithsonn likes this.
  12. Sithsonn Elder

I honestly say I parse like a champ with the melee belt, and the caster belt from gmm has a focus on there that I honestly don't think effects anything i do. The heal part of that belt. Then, on the other hand, the melee belt has 2 focuses that would be use to me instead of the one-sided caster belt. I see the caster belt going to pallies, just not sure which belt i should blow my load on
  13. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Help us ForumQuest Champion @Sancus, you’re our only hope.

Given that they were your numbers to share, and a lot more general/theoretical than your usual meticulousness, I would leave this to you, good-sir.

Teach us!
  14. Sancus Augur

To preface this, this is all math, rather than parsing, as I don't have/play/own an SK to test things on. I feel reasonably confident in the assumptions regarding which focus affects what, but it wouldn't surprise me if there's a quirk with one or more of these abilities that isn't clear in the spell data. That said, the gap is large enough I think it's unlikely to change the conclusions. Also, I'm referring to "Treaded Boon of Potential" as "Threads" and to "Overdrive Boon" as "Boon," which I know is a bit confusing (in my mind I think of Threads of Potential and Boon of the Seeress).

Essentially, I looked at a nightly combined (GMM+TBL) for one of our SKs in a tank group and based the analysis on the # of hits from all of the eligible spells he cast. Both damage additions are unmodifiable (with the exception of SPA 461), so calculating the damage added is simple. There may be some oddities of EQ math for lifetaps that I didn't account for. For abilities with capped returns, I calculated the benefit based on the # of hits below the return maximum. With all that said, here's the spreadsheet:

[IMG]

That's approximately 7x the damage and 6x the healing for threads relative to boon. Now, boon does have Overdrive Punch, which I didn't include because I don't know how that SPA calculates proc rate. That said, eyeballing the proc rate for our melee, it's in the ballpark of once every 10s (I looked at Rustbottom and saw a range of 7 - 14s average between procs). It's unfocusable and can't crit, so its damage is consistent. If you have 3,000 SD, it'll do 1750 damage each time, or 175 DPS. The night in question had some dead time (doing some achievement IIRC) and was 6749 seconds long. Boon would have procced at a significantly slower rate over that time period as a result of that, but even if it hadn't, it would have only closed ~1.2 million of the ~7.7 million damage gap between the two belts.
    Spellfire and Sheex like this.
  15. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

The only thing I think we might be missing is...

Doesn’t the boon effect apply to the base damage of the proc? Meaning when crit occurs, or double crits with the heal, the effect is returning more than just the 500?

I remember watching boon making my soul of the grandmaster shield aug go from 360 base to 900something with boon/spell damage. Then it would crit dd and/or heal and end up being a ~2.5k nuke and a ~5k heal.

I was under the impression that threads was added on top and applied independent of critical(s).

Assuming I’m not talking out of my poop chute (highly dubious, I know), all of that would help the boon case a little, but not likely to bridge the gap given how substantial it is, eh?
  16. Sancus Augur

No. Boon uses SPA 286 and Threads uses SPA 462, which is an identical copy of 286 for stacking purposes. Neither crit or are otherwise modified, with the exception that 286 is modified by 461 because 461 is "broken."
  17. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Poopchute it is, then. Don’t know why I had that impression. Maybe was testing it back on the Void raid boon belt, when threads didn’t even exist yet. Derp.

Thank you, sir.
  18. Brohg Augur

sheet shows Spider's Bites but not Dragonmagics. Dragonmagic not boosted, or that SK didn't use it?
  19. Sancus Augur

Dragonmagic isn't focusable, whereas Spider's Bite is. He also doesn't look to have used Dragonmagic.
    Brohg likes this.
  20. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Our rogues give out spider bites like crazy, can also use free old ones from chalandrias, not for our dps but to proc rogue alliance. Makes more sense than trying to up our own parses a tiny bit.