Phinny 4.0.... really!!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Silver-Crow, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Aziuno Augur

So this producers letter comment really confuses me in a few ways.

1) why would they make a EQ1 server to celebrate a EQ2 Anniversary?
    2) why are they making a server launch in HoT right after Phinny finished it?

As far as question one, I assume it has to do with EQ1 being more popular and November is probably when Mangler will start to see population start to trickle off slowly until it hits PoP, as has happened slowly on all the other Phinny Clones. Casuals really enjoy Classic > Velious, and they get left behind even more in Luclin if they aren't raiding.

Question 2, why HoT launch?
    I would speculate they are trying to get some of their Classic>Velious only players to try new EQ play style. What better way to get them there by launching in a really easy group setting, auto granting up to TSS, in an era where Pets can tank group content and named, mercs can be used to fill in group spots, and people can get a taste of what the modern EQ kind of looks like, with all the skills and abilities that are not there prior to SoF'ish eras. People also enjoy a clean slate where everyone is on the same level (look at D2 seasons, or every TLP fresh start).
  2. Numiko Augur

Auto grant wont be all that great if they keep the same 4 expansion back rule, they may end up with about 1.75 to 2K aa's which is not a lot if you want to go raiding right away in HoT.
  3. ShivanAngel Augur

I want to see someone tank hot raids
    in group gear
  4. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Read it, good luck to those going to that new server. :D
  5. Aziuno Augur

Lower tiers in HoT were a joke, and you could easily get tanks culturally geared quickly via this path.

I also wonder how hard UF would be with lvl 90's in HoT group gear, as UF loot was x2, could pretty easily gear up in that with Rangers/Rogues being able to Assassinate alot of the content.

I still imagine it would be a bit more difficult the first few weeks, but wouldn't be impossible.
  6. taliefer Augur

at least they are trying something different.

does seem like an odd choice of starting point tho. why not start at level 75 with TSS? thats where the game really starts the morping into more modern EQ.

you could even just have everyone start at level 1, or the old 51/50 starting point.
  7. TLP Addict Augur

+1 for TSS start, would be a much better place to kick off a TLP.
  8. Machen New Member

If this is their goal, it is really foolish and short sighted. The average classic->velious player will be absolutely overwhelmed by the hundreds of aa's, discs/spells, instant clickies, etc etc that are available instantly on a level 85 heroic character. Combine that with the difficulty of group content in group gear SoD+ and I doubt many will stick with the new server who aren't already experienced in those expansions.

The best way to get classic-Velious players to play in later expansions would be to just not open a new progression server for a couple years. When all the current servers progress past PoP, and there is nothing new on the horizon, players will either continue to play or they won't.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

HoT unlocked Launch & all characters being Heroic is an interesting starting point as you would start with a ton of AA from being Heroic along with a full set of what is equivalent to T1 HoT group gears.

It's an interesting change from the usual "classic recyclers" and if it manages to attract anyone from that crowd i would be surprised, but ya never know until you offer it up to them to try.

I would personally prefer unlocking heroic on Phinny early but they probably went with this so everyone is starting from the same place there.
  10. Lacka Journeyman

+1 for TSS launch - and NON-truebox. makes way more sense. start from lvl 1
  11. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

I mean with HoT out immediately and 85 heroics you just roll in there with some mages and a bard with mercs and skip everything else.

Aside from going back to SoD for augs and to get J5 merc you can pretty easily do HoT raiding with Morells group armor.

Not having truebox (assuming since it's not mentioned) also is appealing for the era the server is starting in for me personally.
    NoWay likes this.
  12. yukan Augur

For those wanting TSS and a non true box server, you are in luck. Ragefire has both!

I think Ragefire has been forgotten by a lot of people, but there are multiple guilds who have been together there since before the launch of Phinny. It's a nice slow 3 month pace that isn't a race where people aren't overly rushed. 3 months is the perfect timeline for this TSS and beyond era too.
  13. Lookingforguidance New Member

Honestly know quite a few peps who would try a TLP like this just to have something to do on content current to when they started while waiting.
  14. Vumad Cape Wearer

Maybe SOE is still running EQ and the whole DBG is just a rousse.
    Boze likes this.
  15. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Imagine playing EQ in 2019 over that other Classic MMO that comes out in less then a week. o_O
  16. jeskola pheerie

With Heroics in, I would assume the solo J5 Merc quest in feerrott will be in
  17. Sandrito Elder

Anything has to be better than raiding classic yet again...
  18. TLP Addict Augur

51/50 Luclin start TLP
  19. Machen New Member

I'd say that's a pretty huge assumption, but if it is in fact free of truebox, I'd probably come back and play on it.
  20. Hinastorm86 Augur

I might play both lol, with how much of a joke early classic raids will be with 1.12 class/talent/gear changes.

Funny how history is repeating itself on classic. Can't wait for all the #nochanges clowns to eat humble pie.