Phinny 4.0.... really!!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Silver-Crow, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Silver-Crow Augur

i'm just boggling at https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...rs-letter-late-summer-2019-discussion.259197/

specifically...

Also on tap this year is EverQuest II’s 15th anniversary on Nov. 9 which we will support in EverQuest with a new take on a progression server. Players will start as Level 85 Heroic Characters with experience gain at the same rate as live servers. Content up to the House of Thule expansion will be available at launch with expansions unlocking every 2 – 3 months. We’ll release more details as we get closer to that date!

Phinny has only just finished HOT with expansions unlocking every 2-3 months, so this seems a very odd choice.

TSS would be a better jump off point as all races/classes are unlocked, and it's the last expac to offer a full levelling curve from level 1, but the issue is there the cap is 75... so no heroic toons.

if this must be done, then why not just allow free heroic starts on Phinny... job done.
  2. Aegir Augur

Yeah. TSS or SoF start seems better off.
    TLP Addict likes this.
  3. Boze TLP complaint factory

Starting a server in HoT when Phinny finished HoT 4 months before it opens? This makes zero sense. Total waste of resources.
  4. Xanathol Augur

Have to agree, I'm not sure what the target audience is here.
  5. Jaera Augur

Would be nice if they'd disable Truebox on Phinigel and let the people who get about that jump to the new HoT server.

I mean, I know it has no realistic chance of happening, but I can dream about them finally putting in a sunset on Truebox now that it it's basically irrelevant on Phinigel except to annoy people.
  6. Darchon_Xegony Augur

I think it’s pretty obvious that this proposed server is a shot at something different that also requires very little extra coding effort.

They already have two character templates.

Mayong/Quarm - Level 51 characters with Defiant Gear
    Heroic/New Server - Level 85 characters with equivalent to HoT T1 Group gear

They already have the Heroic character templates and all they need to do is launch of server with HoT lock point to start and offer everyone one Heroic character.

I do think a more cool idea would be a level 65-70 Template that starts off in something like DoN/DoDH or TSS/TBS, as something different. But those would require a lot of time to create the new character templates.

Would be nice if Phinigel gets Heroic Characters though.
  7. ShivanAngel Augur

So a server, that starts you at 85, in a level 90 expansion, in gear that comparable to SoD group gear.

You will have to hit 90, then start raiding probably in SoD to gear up so you can even think about doing underfoot gear up in underfoot, and then do HoT.

So the server really starts in SoD tbh.
  8. Dahaman Augur

I agree with you completely. This is close to what Mangler was to Coirnav.

Mangler had double XP and is only a few expansions behind Coirnav. The new server will be free level 85 equipped characters (massive XP/time gift) and only TWO expansions behind Phinny. It's just too close together for TLPs using the exact same ruleset. They'd do better to just add heroic characters to Phinny as you said, rather than sabotaging the arguably best TLP they have made to date.

However, the most astonishing thing to me is, with all the rampant suggestions (the oh so many suggestions) made for TLPs in the present and past, this new server isn't even remotely what people have asked for. More people asked for a PVP server than what they are releasing. And the requests for a Free Trade server were countless comparatively. It's almost like they are actively ignoring the customer base completely (similar to the original ruleset of Mangler not only ignoring but compounding the chief complaint of the TLPs).

That boggles my mind.

C'est la vie! Won't affect me. I'll stick to the Coirnav TLP. :-D
  9. Crowley New Member

Wish they would do away with truebox period. It's honestly pointless. Boxers are gonna box. You still see 24 man+ box armies. You're only hurting players who like to box a couple on one PC who do not have room on their desk to have multiple pcs. Sometimes being able to box rather then sitting LFG for hours on end keeps you actually interested in playing. 2cents.
  10. ShivanAngel Augur

uhhhh in current EQ a geared 85 is hardly a "massive" time gift

if you are going solo maybe, but you can get a toon to 85 and up to speed in a few days at most with the right people
  11. Darchon_Xegony Augur

I will pile on to say that Truebox was good for the server launch of Phinigel but since then the people who were mass boxing on Ragefire and Lockjaw have figured out how to mass box bypassing the Truebox requirements so the rule is not working to stop what it set out to do.

Beyond that, even if it was once a server reaches SoD where Mercenaries come in it doesn’t make sense to have any sort of boxing limitation at that point in a servers life.

I’ll be very curious to see if the proposed server has Truebox and AoCs.
  12. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Maybe the new server will not have truebox, and you can go there, leaving a server that's happy with Truebox WAI.
  13. Dahaman Augur

The problem with doing a level 70 version in November of DoN/DoDH is that this would be dumping a barge full of salt into the Coirnav wounds that Mangler inflicted.

The problem with doing a level 75 version in November is that Selos is in direct competition and will have a far superior XP rate.

If they are going to use the same ruleset, again, they need to space the new server away from the other TLP servers more instead of encroaching on the others' turf.

Example: They could start level 85 heroic characters, give double live XP, and start the expansion 1 before EOK. This sets it up as a racing server at first, as well as a catch up server. Then... EOK after 3 months. ROS after 6 months. The upcoming expansion after 9 months. And at 12 months, November 2020, set the server to live server XP rates and it is ready for the 2020 expansion release.
  14. Jaera Augur

I'd consider playing there if a. my guild would move, b. there's no truebox, and c. the characters that start there have the heroic character flag that allows them to catch up augments by doing Feerrott and Lower House.

No b or c and its a hard pass.
  15. Machen New Member

On a brand new server, it's a pretty massive gift. I was one of the first people into Korafax on Mayong, and thus one of the first ones geared up in SoD T5 group gear, and it took a huge time investment. That was starting at 51 with intricate defiant--which I was mostly still wearing when I hit 85. Most people would not make it to the point of being geared equivalent to a heroic character within the first 3-4 months if they started with naked level 1's. Camping 22 slots worth of group gear plus augs, in itself, is a huge time commitment even if you were to start at max level.
  16. Guzzle Augur

DBG makes another questionable decision, clearly indicating they don't truly understand their customer base.
    Magic and TLP Addict like this.
  17. Dahaman Augur

And don't forget all the AA granted, the epics gained, the flags given, etc. of the heroic characters.

You have to work hard on phinny, even if only a "few days", compared to the click of a button on the new server. That's a "massive" difference to me. Insert your own adjective qualifier as needed tho. :-D
  18. Guzzle Augur

Is the new expansion going to be named "Empires of Velious"? Followed by "Tribes of Luclin" and "Planes of Power but Not Fire 2.0"?
  19. Tierdal Augur

Why not just...give free heroic characters on phinny? and up the exp rate?
  20. Kiaro Augur

House of Thule is honestly easier than UF By a huge amount, when they gave out free heroics on live servers, I was able to roll up a 3box+3Merc set and farm my way up the HoT group gear and be set for raiding HoT content within 2 weeks.
    Nolrog likes this.