Rustbottom raid (GMM raid 1)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ofearl, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Dhurgan Augur

I thought they recently increased the range on damage reporting, you may be getting more chat spam due to that change. Events where you are in close proximity and doing massive burns will also generate a ton of chat log spam at a rapid pace. Gina was written like four or five? years ago and I doubt he was anticipating the volume of active triggers and pace that lines of logs are written. If you only enable a small portion of triggers, say 20 or so, and there is no GINA lag, then you need to disable old unused triggers or optimize the triggers you have. Triggers using a regex match is an expensive operation. If you're using a regex with fast check enabled, you need to check the digest as well. The digest could inadvertently match a ton of lines and subsequently be doing a regex match on that line. I've written my own audio trigger/trigger sharing program and used it in tandem with GINA on all of those events without any lag/delay on either program.

[IMG]
    Duder likes this.
  2. Raccoo Augur

Would optimizing look something like this?

[IMG]
  3. Dhurgan Augur

That's a specific enough text, changing that to just a straight string search 'You begin casting Prophet's Gift of the Ruchu' and not using regex will increase the speed of that trigger. That's just one trigger out of a bunch, but it all adds up when you're talking about processing hundreds of triggers against 10's to 100's of lines of text a second.

Edit:
    I copied that trigger to my GINA and looked at the digest, it's searching for "you begi". Any time 'You begin casting' anything it's going to generate an additional regex search on that trigger, causing it a lot of unnecessary searching.
    Duder likes this.
  4. Raccoo Augur

I thought that having the ^ at the beginning of the trigger was supposed to make it quicker, because it would skip all the lines that didn't begin with whatever came after it, instead of reading the entire lines for matches?

How do you check the digest? I'm new to using this, mostly learning by reading other triggers people have made and shared, and then reworking them to what I want.
  5. Dhurgan Augur

Caret means to match at the beginning of the line and dollar sign means match at end of the line. The caret with the dollar sign is telling it to match the entire line. There's probably a few instances where you could legitimately use a regex match, more often than not a string match is all you need.

When you open the trigger for editing, hover your mouse over the "Use Fast Check", you will see the digest. The fast check creates an eight character string and uses that as a regular string search first. If the line matches that digest, then it continues on with a regex search of that line.
    Duder likes this.
  6. Dhurgan Augur

I guess to clarify a bit further, even if you have the caret there, GINA doesn't skip the line. GINA still has to process every line to determine if it matches or not. Using fast check is really a gatekeeper for the expensive regex operation. When creating a trigger, your goal should always be to make it work with just a string match. Using a regular expression should be a last resort.
    Duder likes this.
  7. Raccoo Augur

Well, that sucks, I made almost all of my triggers using regex cause I thought that made them better. Saved a copy of all my triggers, now I'm going to change all that I can back to normal strings. Thank you, Dhurgan.
  8. Raccoo Augur

Would it be better to use regex, if fast check digest is looking for something that is less likely to be spammed on raid?

For instance:
    ^Unfettered( Emerald Excellence boasts, 'You )cannot kill me. I am eternal!'
    vs ^Unfettered Emerald Excellence boasts, 'You cannot kill me. I am eternal!'

Would place the digest on the 'cannot kill' part instead of the Unfettered. Unfettered is going to get spammed a ton with all the dps going on. At least that is my understanding?
  9. Xorsazis Augur

Most of the events I see mentioned seem to incorporate some sort of tracking of PCs/NPC's.
    • GMM1 would be the mechanics under the boss.
    • GMM3 would be the whirligiger being up or down? Or possibly the state of the 4 ballistae (sp?).
    • Generals would be the location of each general. Possibly players to spawn adds on top.
    • Maeratas has a lot of player tracking going on at the same time.
    Perhaps something in that regard is bottlenecking things. I can especially see how Maeratas would be so terrible since it is probably tracking all 54 raiders at once.
    Moldar likes this.
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I can't say I've noticed much lag out of the ordinary at all on AB.

Though that could just be we tollerate more after our issues of a couple of years ago.
  11. ClubersMS New Member

I sincerely appreciate the suggestions from Raccoo, Drogba and Kurage offering steps to take to combat the problem. What I'd really like to see is someone from Daybreak chime in and admit that there is a problem and that they are looking into it. It would be nice if they actually cared enough to make an effort to fix problems instead of just stealing our money every month. It would be refreshing to see that someone from their company actually gave a damn.
  12. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Due to life, I was unable to raid this past cycle. I know there was not a patch or anything but did anyone see anything different with adjusted gina triggers?

As a community and since no Dev’s seem to want to chime in we need to help each other here. I’ll be 110% honest, I dislike Gina and rarely adjust triggers when they are sent out. I would love to learn more and maybe adjust a few/add some.
  13. Raccoo Augur

I initially changed mine, but after reading the other thread, which Sirene posted in, I reloaded my saved original triggers, but then I unchecked whatever I didn't think was pertinent, minimizing the number of triggers I had running. I noticed a drastic change with Mearatas in particular, where gina triggers were not lagged at all.
    Scornfire likes this.
  14. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Something else to be aware of is excluding your Logs folder from any Antivirus real-time scanning. And changing your in-game chat filters to not show certain messages that you don't need has a very dramatic effect on this as well (for example, unless you're doing parsing, you have no need for the "Other Damage Other" filter to be enabled)
    Winnowyl, Moldar and Duder like this.
  15. Traxen Lorekeeper

My guild attempted GMM1 last night. We failed at 28%, wiped, were rezzing and 3-4 AFTER the failure, Gina triggers were still going off.

The lag in this instance is ridiculous.
  16. svann Augur

To the question of whether its faster with or without regex:
    gina has a way of actually measuring it. Set it up one way, then go to the performance tab (in gina), click start, and then fight a combat dummy for a few minutes. Sort the trigger list alphabetically and find your trigger. In the 3rd column is Combined Average microseconds. Write down the average time for the trigger in question, the repeat with the alternate trigger method. There is no reason to debate which way is better when you can so easily measure it. You can also sort by that 3rd column to see which triggers are the worst then work the worst one to try to minimize it.
  17. Axxius Augur

Or maybe you just have bad triggers? Or somebody is on a hotel internet?

The raid lag is bad, as in seconds, but if you have it in minutes then your issue is caused by something else.
    Aldren, kizant and Sancus like this.