Two populations playing the same game

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Corwyhn Lionheart, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Bahdah Augur

"Aliens"
    Sancus, Funky and menown like this.
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I think there are a few things to consider when you talk about two populations in the game.

One thing is that talking about competitive versus less competitive is that people move around between these groups all the time. Having run a more casual grouping guild for almost 20 years now I have seen a few things.

Someone might raid for years then decide they want a more casual play environment I have had people join my guild over the years saying this.

Also over the years I have had long term casual players go from group casual to group hard core to raiding over a span of several years.

I have had some join my guild and let me know there aim is raiding and they level up in my guild and then join a raid guild. Which I support btw. My end goal is people have fun in the game as long as it is not to the detriment of others.

Some people are top hard core players but who aren't competitive with anyone but themselves. Though I had to admit when the eqplayers was still up it was fun being in the top 10 on the xegony paladin charts. (at least earlier in an expansion I tended to fall behind as raiders geared up. Though come to think about it I enjoyed getting there but it wasn't what drove me to plow through an expansion early.

The whole point is that there will be lots of movement between the groups and also degrees of how much someone fits into each group. But the breakdown of the populations simply highlights one of the design challenges for the game devs which is creating content that is going to keep the majority of players happy enough to keep playing the game.
  3. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

I always thought it was
    "those on my friends list, and those in my way"
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  4. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

5. Cadira Augur

I know you're just doing your job, but you can't convince any of us you don't enjoy this any less than we do.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I think the Dev team is trying different things to make content last but I am not sure that is the answer. I think the best they can do is make good enjoyable content but realize folks may finish it. I don't think releasing content piece by piece will result in more content. I am not a game developer but I suspect it would be easier to release a content all at once.

I guess the other answer are evolving items or extremely long quests that take a lot of work but have a great reward at the end.

I agree GMM was great but I am not sure how often we can expect additional content like that except on special anniversary dates. GMM was a loot pinata for group geared folks because it was the 20th anniversary.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Why does it have to be additonal content? They could if they wanted include a zone similar to GMM as the first zone of the expansion. It doesn't have to have as much loot or be the best loot, but a nice laid out zone that everyone can play without worring about stupid AEs
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Oh if you are saying the first zone and missions/progression should be more like GMM or FM I agree completely.
    Yinla likes this.
  9. Shanarias Augur

THIS is what I have been watching for an hour or so of watching/reading this thread.
    2+8=10.
    So does 6+4, etc.
    My own experience way back on Xev, was that I REALLY enjoyed being in a good group. The camaraderie and the drama trying to take down stuff that we were at the edge of not being able to do, was great. Then they took me on a raid. Although the graphics were out of this world, I was just a "healb*tch", and it all just seemed ...impersonal. I thought "If this is all that's left, then I am gone."

Thankfully, I came back. I am a casual player who has been in all of two groups on the way to being currently a lvl 65 Cleric. And I enjoy every minute that I play this game.

I just am not very good at it. :)