Can we either not give group mobs charm or change how damage affects you while charmed?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fian, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Fian Augur

First off, I am not complaining about charm in a raid situation. If Devs want to charm half the raid and let them die to a warrior buzz saw, so be it. Raid will rez and buff them.

However, from a group perspective, charm can be a death touch, and when you are rezzed, you won't have all of the buffs available to you. It is basically a percentage based death touch. Once charm lands, you just pray that you don't die, and wait to see the results. The most recent example was fighting a mob in Stratos. I was duoing with a ranger (I was a bst), and I got charmed. I was sent to attack the ranger, and died almost instantly. One thing about it, I looked at the log, and I only saw one minor damage hit from the ranger while I was charmed. The log did not record how I died. The obvious assumption was that I died to riposte, however the log couldn't confirm that.
    Nniki likes this.
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Not saying you are wrong or right on this but if possible I would avoid charm mobs when your group doesn't have someone who can remove it. I think it would be more problematical if there was a large number of mobs charming. I don't do a lot of fighting in Stratos though so maybe it is more common then I think.
  3. Smokezz The Bane Crew

You can't remove it Corwyhn. Nor can you cure the new mez's that some mobs use in TBL. They're pretty annoying spells they cast. I've never even come close to dying to the player that's charmed though, even if charmed while burning on my Rogue/Zerkers... it's the Warrior getting charmed and the named going YOU HOO! Hi chars that can't really can't tank very well...
    Yinla and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Ahhhh.. the only one I am used to is from the NPCs in Tyrant of Fire and those radiant cure removes or so it seemed to me. EDIT DOH I was thinking of Mez there not charm. Sorry mind was on other things.

Yeah in that case they would be super annoying. Just glad I got past stratos without having to deal with it.
  5. Fian Augur

Just to be clear, the charmed player is the one that dies, not his target. Players do somewhere in the neighborhood of 100k dps, which is enough to kill a charmed player in under 3 seconds. Riposte damage can be especially lethal.
  6. Whulfgar Augur

I just wish per classes .. who use pet tanking get effected the same exact way as normal tanks when it comes to both mez and charm.

NPC should be able to mez them an short durationally charm them. As much as they do normal player tanks.
    Allayna likes this.
  7. Paradisic_parasite Elder

Have the ranger(tank) switch to non-damage weapons when someone is charmed.
  8. Duder Augur

It isn't the weapons, its the kick ripostes, theyre broke in pvp as well vs melee. The ranger kick that procs a 40k spell or whatever repos nearly 100% of the time if attacking them from the front, and that occurs when charmed as well.
  9. GoneFission Augur

The limitations on groups using pet tanks particularly the inability to tank multiples and the lack of discs and abilities that make real tanks superior is punishment enough.
  10. Whulfgar Augur

Addimitedly .. Ive been afk for the past hr an a half in game..

since when did they nerf Mage pets an beastlord pets from tanking more then 1 ?
    Allayna likes this.
  11. GoneFission Augur

They don’t hold aggro. Human tanks brag about just tanking down 5 or 6 or more. The mage pet won’t hold that kind of aggro, even if it survives that many mobs. You’re just being disingenuous about that. Pet tanking is a suboptimal group that has serious disadvantages over a real tank.
  12. Whulfgar Augur

Once again .. I've seen mages especially hold down 3 mobs 1 with primary tank pet, 2 other's with their swarm pets.

Do you deny that they have this capability ?
    Allayna likes this.
  13. Whulfgar Augur

While the primary tank pet swaps back an forth from 1 mob to the other.
  14. Cicelee Augur

The best part about tanks that complain about pet tanking is that they tend to leave out 85% of the facts, and instead only focus on the criteria that helps their cause.
  15. Piemastaj Augur

It is a design decision, and a code decision to prevent this. The off-topic pet nerf call is nice though, get to test the new CM fairly quickly. I can't see what would go wrong with uncontrollable pets being unable to be stopped....

Back on topic though, Charm on players in the group game is dumb imo. It should never be allowed to land on the tank or healer for obvious reasons, it would make more sense to just make it raw damage.
    Yinla and Whulfgar like this.
  16. Whulfgar Augur

This is how all debat's work.

Funny that ..
  17. Whulfgar Augur

Couldent help but notice.. what I pointed out has not been refuted..

I wonder.. why..
  18. Piemastaj Augur

Well, considering moloing a named my pet will 100% die with a single merc healer under full defensives. And the topic in question is NAMED, it is refuted. This will also happen quite frequently with 2 mages, both using healer mercs on the same named. Tons of stats and no actual tanking utility is uber fun sometimes.

That however is again off topic and also a discussion for a different thread.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  19. Whulfgar Augur

And I as a raid geared warrior will also die .. with a single merc healer who will die before me but I will inevitably die as well to a NAMED.
  20. Wuddane Elder

And I as a raid geared shadowknight will als..oh actually no...I won't die (Neither does my pet most of the time, tanking named with one healer merc. In case you wanted to know). Anyways, just stop dude.

To the OP > Sometimes different mobs require different tactics. If you and your friend know you are fighting a mob that can charm, just stand next to each other on the same side. If one of you is charmed you don't always get riposte stuff that way. Or as others have mentioned you can take a more reactive approach in bandoliering or even (my favorite) the non charmed one can offer up their backside a moment.
    Allayna and Jondalar like this.