New chat channel: Raid Class

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fian, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Fian Augur

We currently have a channel /rs to send a message to everyone in the raid. What if we had /rc that would send a message to everyone of the same class in the raid? It would solve the need to set chat channels for alliance, plus for lazy raiders, it would probably increase communication.
    eepok, Nniki and kizant like this.
  2. chronicler Augur

Totally unnessary, You can create a channel, which most do, and get your class characters in there.

Why invent something that you can already make ?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Axxius like this.
  3. Brohg Augur

Because there's an arbitrary cap of 10 chat channels, so Fian's idea would backdoor an 11th. I'd live in like 30 or 40 channels if they were available
    Elyssanda likes this.
  4. Lannin Elder

I'd live in like 30 or 40 channels if they were available

Gees , how would you even be able to PLAY the game ...
  5. Elyssanda Bardbrain

I know I keep seeing you in ones I am in =)
  6. Brohg Augur

nearly all channels are very low traffic, but I'd like to be able to monitor them still, and occasionally direct requests & questions to the folks that can do something about or answer them
    NameAlreadyInUse and Koryu like this.
  7. Nuttmeg Augur

Why have a New Players channel? Why have class channels? Why have an ooc channel? You can create them all yourself... /sarcasm off

It's like there's always some troll that does nothing but scour the forums looking for something to disagree with.

OP, fantastic idea. I'm in.
  8. Bahdah Augur

Not a bad idea tbh.
  9. kizant Augur

It would be useful.
    Bahdah likes this.
  10. Bahdah Augur

Avoiding the issue of not having those specific channels when chat service goes down.
    Brohg likes this.
  11. Deloehne Augur

I raid in an alliance. One guild or the other has to give up their class channel. A /rc [classname] ability would be helpful. Our server, like many, has pickup raids involving several different guilds and some not guilded. The channel limit of 10 arises pretty quickly if you are a regular.
  12. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

I just want to make sure I understand the request from the folks in the thread ...

… you want there to a new command that when someone types it will dynamically decide (on the server side) which class has made the chat request and then automatically push the message to all other members of the same class that are also in the same raid? And this would be happening for every single raid across EQ? When there is nothing like this in the game currently? And the current state of raid lag?

I think it might be simpler to ask for 5 more chat channels per toon.

And … you know your fellow raiders … how many cannot type in the proper channels now (specific channel, raidsay, guildchat, etc.)? And you want to introduce a new command for these people to learn?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Duder like this.
  13. Bahdah Augur

You make it sound outrageous. It can be as simple as rsay.. /rclr, /rwar or as op suggested, /rc as a raid tool command.. No one has to make the channel, the raid management can do that for you. How difficult it would be to implement it i dont know.. But this is an idea.. A good one at that.

And again it will allow you to communicate with your raiders of the same class when/if chat service goes down...
  14. Bigstomp Augur

I think we should have a way to join a channel (suggestions?) but I don't want stuff spammed to me.
  15. kizant Augur

The people asking for features aren't required to understand how difficult the implementation might be. There's nothing wrong with asking. Plus it doesn't necessarily have to be so complicated.

EQ already supports chat channels that are dynamically created. The client knows what class the current player happens to be and it knows when the player joins and leaves a raid. Channels also support passwords. So, I'm thinking they might be able to implement this with only a little bit of work on the server. All they need is some way to generate a unique ID and password for the channel based on the current raid and player class. Then when the client receives join/leave messages from the raid it could just do a normal /join and /leave on behalf of the user with the generated channel name and password. Think of it as just automating what's already being done by the player. After that all it needs is a special case for those channels to give them a nice name and a new command on the client to use them.
  16. Repthor Augur

theres needs to be an epic click channel so bahdah dont ask in povar genral chat for it when he wants to burn
  17. Elyssanda Bardbrain

I have 10 autojoin chat channels. if I leave #5 (general) for whatever reason, then for the rest of the night, 5-9 are now messed up and I will spend the rest of the night doing mistells. (just ask poor serverwide.eqresource, they get the brunt of those mistells). I wish there was a way to Mute a channel without dropping it so the rest of them don't get messed up.
  18. Mazame Augur

I would like to say I think Cragzop has the right idea in just adding X more chat channels.

Reason 1: you want a channel that is for say SK. but in may guilds I been in they had a Knight channel or a tank channel. having a channel that go to only one class would not be effective for classes that are combined. Another example was in one guild I played the it was split into melee and caster channels.

Reason 2: currently in our bst channel we have 1 char that used to be a bst and still play a bst from time to time that in many ways is consider part of the bst group. because he join the channel on his other toon he stay up to date with our tactics. Having a channel that only talks to the class you want would prevent this type of social experience.
    Point being most people don't play 1 class and have joined many different class channels for X reason having a channel that blocks all but 1 class type doesn't promote togetherness but more so segregation.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  19. Bahdah Augur

Keep your combined channels this would be a raid channel and not be flagged as a service channel.
  20. Fian Augur

I thought this would be brought up. The /rc chat channel is not there to replace all existing raid chat channels. Tanks are probably in one channel, healers are probably in another channel. /rc would not remove the need for those channels. Where it shines is in public and pickup raids that are not as tightly organized. I play a bst in a public raid. There is no official channel setup for bst in the raid. Sure I could organize things, send tells to all the bsts, remind those that forget/are new, but it is really only for that slight gain in coordinating buffs, and encouraging use of alliance/dot for those that don't have GINA triggers setup for it.

Not all classes are as dependent upon having a class raid channel. This feature would be for those classes.