Any negatives with doing tlp expac releases based on level cap?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Badateq, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Badateq New Member

Classic
    kunark-luclin
    Pop-GoD
    Oow-PoR
    Etc

3 month releases of each era, exp rate somewhere between mangler and selo’s

What’s the downside to such a rule set assuming everything else remains constant?

Sure kunark and velious gear might be skipped for luclin, but content will still be completed for epics and clickies, but it opens so many more xp spot options, after luclin, all expacs for each segment of level cap is relevant. One would have to be dumb to try to do GoD content without some PoP gear.

Tradeskills remain relevant too.

Discuss
  2. Guzzle Augur

Why though? Just to make it go faster? If anything, expansions should just be 2 months (LDoN / DoN only one month).
  3. Machentoo Augur

The biggest negative is that every expansion but the last in the level range becomes virtually irrelevant. And often, the last expansion is not the best or most fun. POR is a great example--people aren't going to spend a ton of time wanting to flag for Anguish when they can skip to POR and get far better gear, but OoW and DoDH are both far more enjoyable expansions, at least in terms of raiding. You see the same thing to a lesser extent at level 75--TSS is much more fun than TBS.
    snailish likes this.
  4. Nolrog Augur

Saw this proposes a short while ago.

I give credit (to you and whoever it was that proposed it the first time if not you) that this is a different kind of idea, instead of the usual FV rules, PVP, change the unlock, no boxing, no krono, etc that we see all the time. However, as Machen points out, you run into the issue where people skip expansions as soon as they can to go to the last one in the level range. Though I do disagree that raid wise, TSS is much more fun than TBS. I thought Solteris was a great raid zone. Group wise, though I agree; aside from the hand augment, I found a lot more to keep me occupied in TSS.
  5. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

I posted this in the Slow Bake thread:

The only downside I saw at the time was PoP spells would be for sale in PoP on day one since they unlock with GoD. I assume the same with OoW spells.
  6. Machentoo Augur

Eight months of PoR being the end game would kill any server.
    Nolrog likes this.
  7. HoodenShuklak Augur

The reason people bring up FV loot as the low hanging fruit is because, in general, tlps are pretty solid at getting you your eq fix. But with fv loot, a simple change, completely changes the way you upgrade your toon, play the market, and twink your alts. And that just about covers enough to feast on compared to just drawing out expansion xyz.
    snailish likes this.
  8. Machentoo Augur

Not to mention, all the kronos!!!! Which is as much or more important today as actually gearing your toon for most people still playing.
    snailish likes this.
  9. snailish Augur

Not sure if I would like this server idea or not (level cap clustered expacs) but it is different and should be very easy for them to implement. I say do it.

But I also say do a Phinny rules + free trade loot. [Which I might also hate]

And a new Quarm event or 3... one of which could be PVP based [and I won't play EQ PVP again]

...I'm still intrigued by the idea of the actual level caps being manipulated (i.e., you do Classic in 3 weeks but are capped at 40 or maybe even 30). The idea being you automatically up the challenge in-era because content is now overtuned to you at the top end (without any dev time spent tuning it). However, if level caps per expac is a global thing (seems likely) then this is tricky to offer as it would have to fit between normal capped server timelines to not mess them up.