Paladin +3

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Petalonyx, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Petalonyx Augur

So, my A Team is pal/dru/mag/mag. They're nearly maxed out. Im looking for an alt team that provides more burst alongside paladin (so just 3).

I know there is a lvl increase expansion upcoming, which may favor casters.

I have no interest in berzerkers, so ive been debating between the following:

Wiz/Wiz/Ench

Rog/Rog/Bard

I alt tab box, so looking for something that performs well with less button mash, or that has effective macro capability.

Which 3 will best fit the bill? I'd be all over wiz, except they seem really behind at present, and I understand a lot of their dps comes from random proc interactions that i cannot pay any attention to while directly piloting 4.

Any other non-berzerker comps to consider? Remember, just interested in quick burst capability. Do i need to consider stacking SK with HT?
  2. Metapsyche Augur

Honestly not much is going to be better than your current setup without berserkers. Some other options would be...

Magician x 3 (Reliable Covenants)
    Magician / Magician / Enchanter
    Shaman / Rogue / Monk
    Shaman / Rogue / Ranger
    Ranger x 3 or Rogue x 3 or Monk x 3 (covenants)
    Wizard / Magician / Enchanter
    Wizard x 3 (covenants)
    Paladin / Paladin / Necro / Necro (make everything undead, watch holyforge disc win the day + slay undead is fun)
  3. Petalonyx Augur

I wouldnt need 3 wiz to run covenants with a wiz merc in tow, correct?

Same thing for rogue x2 plus assassin merc?

Yes the existing team is great. I have no regrets at all there. It's one major limitation is burst dps. Basically what can be achieved within a single macro, or 30-60 seconds.
  4. Brohg Augur

Melee dps mercenaries don't assist in firing the rogue Covenant, but other non-rogue melee player characters can. Rogue Covenant fires based on having poisons proc on the target. Other rogues are best at it thanks to Virulent Venom AA and constant access to pants poison, but anyone using a Spider's Bite will help out.
  5. Petalonyx Augur

Thanks Brohg. I almost forgot i'd have to also wrestle with rogue poisons. The more i think about it, the less im inclined to roll rogues.

No one has yet commented on SK stacking. 2-3 SK HT seems a lot of burst to me... and they can keep themselves alive well enough. Bard or ench + 2 SK?
  6. aozs Augur

If alt-tab boxing, I wouldn't recommend using melee. I tried war/brd/rog alt-tab for a bit and it was just too much work.

Regarding rogues - not sure how reliably rogue covenant would proc with pal/brd/rog/rog. I can get my rog to proc it pretty reliably with war/pal/rog/zerk/brd/shm but that's with everyone wearing Spider's Bite and melee'ing pretty much full time. Even then, it's only around 2.7m damage, which is less than 5% of a standard TBL named's hp pool. I had my rogue make a low level Spider's Bite with only vendor-purchased materials, so it's not bad from a maintenance perspective (zerker axes are more annoying).

Wiz - I've alt-tab boxed sk/enc/wiz/wiz in the past. Covenant should proc pretty reliably with 1 wiz merc in the mix. The overall DPS was a lot lower than what I do now with the 6-box crew, but you could probably get some nice burst out of this comp with just alt-tab friendly social macros. I don't know how it would compare to your current comp though.

You could also just try swapping the druid for an enchanter. Chromatic haze is a pretty big contributor to burst, though I'm not familiar with how big mage nukes can get.
    Skewert likes this.
  7. Petalonyx Augur

Aozs, thanks, i was hoping you would weigh in. That helps me a lot.

I do have a B Team that i can sub around, they include an enchanter, cleric, and necro, basically fully AA'd with T3 TBL at this point, but nothing more.

The enchanter burst is crazy. She pops a GMM orc for 50% in one spell. Unfortunately, she's on a mage acct. Druid can sub out for necro, which doesnt help much for burst.

What i may do is make a 3rd mage on Pal acct, and then run mag-mag-dru-ench. I can accomplish that at the same time I raise a the new 3 (the C Team!)
    Skewert likes this.
  8. Tucoh Augur

Going to be tough to beat pal dru mag mag. Could replace dru with enc, but you lose survivability and utility for dps and CC

If you're mostly looking for a change of pace, you should reconsider your setup and maybe get inner space boxer and a melee team, maybe pal, bard, rog, mnk or something.
  9. Allayna Augur

SK is an easier alt tab boxing tank as they have considerably more passive healing from swinging than a paladin.

SK, wiz, wiz with 3 wiz mercs and you'd be firing alliance every time it's up iirc.

SK also does well with Dru/Enc or Sham/Bard. The benefit of Sham/Bard would be the frequent epic clicks/HoTs and splashes and great CC (like you'll need it with an SK lol).
  10. Petalonyx Augur

@Tucoh. Yes druid is something i could sub, unfortunately I made another 'slow' dps char on that account (Necro). If I go with wizards on C Team, i'll at least be able to sub in a wiz for druid. Inner space is just not for me.

@Allayna I'm still considering SK, but only as DPS. Would they put up decent numbers in a SK/SK/Brd/Pal comp? Does HT dot stack or overwrite between the SKs? Would that comp beat a Wiz/Wiz/Ench/Pal in a 30s burn? Is SK alliance/covenant something i could use?
  11. Tucoh Augur

sk/sk/brd/pal with SKs on DPS duty will be a poorly performing team, especially if you're not using a key broadcaster like inner space. SKs are a fairly busy class that can't just use a 5-cast macro like mages to keep firing for 15s or whatever.

Your best bet for something new with high burst damage is probably pal/enc/wiz/wiz or something along those lines.
  12. tyrantula Elder

SK for DPS? That sounds like a terrible idea, especially a group with 3 knights? Not only that, but HT is on a 20min(?) timer. If you're doing strictly group content:

SK/brd/dru/wiz/wiz/wiz or mag/mag/mag
  13. Petalonyx Augur

Alright, wiz it shall be!

I'll also keep working on A Team. If i get good enough at healing on pal/dru, it's possible to use two wiz mercs and no healer mercs. Usually my dps plummets when i have to full-time heal, but perhaps that will get better with practice.