Ranger Multi Binds?

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Jreal, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Jreal New Member

So I found this forum post and it talks about multi binds, and stuff he uses but does not actually show how to setup or what his multi binds look like. How do I go about making the binds from this post? http://forums.eqfreelance.net/index.php?topic=16647.0
    Trying to relearn this stuff after 4 years away has been painful.
  2. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Are you saying you don't know how to setup a multi-bind or are unclear what he is putting in his?

He seems to have a multi-bind with his first 5 spells. And a combat ability one that is the first 3 things he lists (fyi, you can just /autoskill kick now).

Easiest way to setup a multi-bind is to go into Options (Alt + O) and the Keys tab. Pick a hotbar (generally use one of the higher number ones). Set the first 5 Hot buttons to the same key (which should not be used for anything other than this...which may mean swapping some things). Then on the actual hotbar, put your first 5 spell gems in order on that hotbar (you will notice that the hotbar has the key you selected in the upper right corner).

Now when you press that key, it will attempted to fire the first spell. If that is on cool down, it will move to the second, etc. Now you have a multi-bind.

The other way to do this is create a macro with 5 lines: /cast 1 /cast 2 /cast 3 /cast 4 /cast 5 (each on its own line).

One thing to keep in mind is that when doing the first method, mixing spell gems and aa/disc keys can sometimes act strangely (usually in ordering … the game wants to use spell gems before anything else on multi-binds). So testing before actual use is recommended.
  3. Jreal New Member

I think the part I am having issues with is making ones for the buff's/AA's and altcodes, like what over writes what, and where do I need to put pauses.
  4. Kurage_of_Luclin Augur

you can go either of 2 methods. 1 options keys, or 2 hot bars

I use the options keys and a social button. that was the first way and works well enough.

My multi-bind mash key is the #1 key on my keyboard. you can pick any you like better.

so in the options window go to keys tab, use the drop down window to select spell casting
    next I made all of the Cast gem 1-4 that I wanted to spam all a 1.

Then in the first hot bar I placed the social hot key , that has either of these commands for the dps
    /alt activ
    /do ability
    /disc

There is a way to put all these on a hot bar and mash one key to make all of them fire depending on which is up. I will have to let someone else post about that. since I use this method.
  5. gotwar Gotcharms

6. Greymantle Augur

One of the issues with either way is the cooldown times associated with the actions. On both the multibinds and the hot key method. Once started, they have to run through the sequence you have set up before you can do anything else.Using the hot keys you need to insert delays into the lines to allow the action to perform be an AA ability or a spell. Very few are instant.

I have several i use a lot, the one that not many think of is an escape hotkey. Set up a hot key to activate our blur(forgot the name atm) followed by a glade leap followed by group invis.
    3 lines on a button can save your butt in a bad situation. And since all those are insta cast, you can use it on the move.
  7. Nerple New Member

Question for all: When I use my multi-bind key, I've noticed it spits back a lot of spam along the lines of "You cannot use this ability at this time" though I forget the actual language at this time and none of my screenshots seem to show it.

Does anybody know what filter this feedback is linked to? I would really like to move this feedback to a different chat window as right now it is spamming my main chat window and I'm occasionally missing my turn in covenant or auspice chains.

Thanks kindly.
  8. Brohg Augur

alt+O for Options, Chat tab, select category: Combat. set "can't use ability warning" to Hide. Check also Spells category.
  9. Nerple New Member

Thank you, off to do that right now! That has been a real headache since I set my multi-bind up a few months ago!
  10. Nerple New Member

Tried it tonight, that worked gangbusters and made the raid sooo much easier to follow.

Thanks again!
  11. Thraine Augur

You'll want to take that silent shot out of there, thats cute for the group game but it almost worthless on any raid that moves at a decent pace.
    Youll end up getting a lot more mileage out of the boon than silent shot on raids

my suggestion is use:
    1- Foreseen Shots
    2- Focused Arrowgale
    3- Skyfire Boon
    4- Dissident Fusillade
    5- Summers Tempest
  12. Brohg Augur

Silent Shot doesn't cast much, but why would you cast Boon at all? Boon is 7062 base damage nuke + 6358 damage added, versus another Summer's nuke being 8758 base damage nuke + another 7811 base damage nuke. Besides the base numbers being thousands higher on Summers, both parts of it focus & crit & proc & count for fulminating Covenants. Only the first part of Boon does that
    Tarvas and Killaas_FV like this.
  13. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

You're doing yourself a service replacing Skyfire Boon with Heartcleave. It's way more dps. It's cheap to cast, it triggers GoM and keeps you casting more. It triggers sympathetics!! You don't use a spell component to cast 70% of casts - a quiver full of 1000 of the arrows lasts a while.
  14. Fintank Augur

In order of damage potential: Summer's Tempest > Summer's Cyclone > Skyfire Boon > Skyfire Ash > Windshear Boon > Frigid Wind > Wildfire Ash > Heartcleave > Frozen Wind.

Heartcleave, Boon and the Ash/Wind lines have basically no place in anything outside of Ice or Fire resist mobs in terms of maxing your DPS. The only possible thing would be if you have poor mana adps from the Bards/BL/Chanters (depending on group makeup).

Heartcleave especially should be in the "hardly should be used" category. If it doesn't crit you've wasted your mana basically, even if it's on the specified humanoid/animal mob type. Since it's flagged as a physical resist spell type instead of a skill attack it takes no modifiers outside of your type 3 aug. It does slightly more dmg non crit vs the Ash/Wind line non crits from Rain of Fear (lvl 97/98) to give reference. So you're looking at doing nearly the same amount of dmg for ballpark 400-600 mana more. Risk vs Reward on Heartcleave is garbage. If you're in a mana saving mode your most DPS efficient route on those non-summer's nukes is what I put at the top of the post. *Noting you can only use 1 of the 2 Boon spells.*

The 2nd Summer's spell in there is if you want to still try and preserve some mana and stay spammy. Since Summer's can double-symp it has higher potential. If you take out symp procs it ends up being just below Skyfire Ash in that order.
    gotwar, Scornfire and Brohg like this.
  15. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

You're completely wrong on Heartcleave. I recommend actually meming it for a raid night and looking at your parser and the damage it does - all the reasons I posted above are factual. I suspect you might be going off a distant past experience with the spell line. When was the last time you mem'd that spell line?

Are you really so quick to pupu such a cheap spell with a quick recast for triggering GoM and having 1 mana cost Summer's, DoT's and Allys? Aren't we claiming to be the most mana starved class? Try the tools we have, dude.
  16. Fintank Augur

Just to preface my reply I'd like to add that before I ever comment on Ranger things like spells I double check and parse them beforehand incase I misremember or have missed something and am wrong.

I do actually load Heartcleave on the Doomfire raid due to the Fire spell resists which is what I mentioned in my previous post. There are times where fire isn't resisted on that fight that I do not fully take advantage of because of tracking other things, set that bind and forget it basically for me on that raid!

I do have spell parses from that raid still though so we can dive in to prove points! Heartcleave has a better recast rate compared to the other nukes for sure though. It is worth noting that these spells are during a burn, which is when Heartcleave will have it's highest potential because we're capping or are super close to it on spell crit rate, at the same time this also makes it do worse comparatively to the other nukes for the same exact reason. I don't think Guardian of Doomfire is flagged as Humanoid though, so these are potentially numbers up for debate still.

Heartcleave Rk 3 (1585 Base Mana):
    1. 92,171
    2. 92,432
    3. 93,175
    4. 93,436
    5. 87,000
    6. 88,828
    7. 89,287
    8. 87,173
    9. 89,034
    10. 86,614

Windshear Boon Rk 2 (1153 Base Mana):
    1. 131,024
    2. 128,569
    3. 117,126
    4. 119,688
    5. 115,862
    6. 114,482

Frigid Wind Rk 2 (1076 Base Mana):
    1. 130,437
    2. 132,441
    3. 158,551
    4. 149,131
    5. 112,692
    6. 112,978

Frozen Wind Rk 2 (896 Base Mana):
    1. 110,382
    2. 107,985
    3. 105,757
    4. 105,388

It's worth noting that using the Fire version of these other nukes will net you even higher damage for a similar lower mana cost than Heartcleave as well. So IF you're going to do something outside of Summer's casts then you're better off using your Boon/Ash/Wind nukes BEFORE getting to Heartcleave. Both less mana and higher damage on all of them compared to Heartcleave.

My views on using anything outside of Summer's on non-resist events are probably more indicative of how my guilds Bards/BL's run their mana recovery tools along with my self regulation and event times. It is super rare that I have to divert off of just spamming Summer's due to this.
    kizant and gotwar like this.
  17. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Wait, so you're contradicting yourself now for the sake of an argument, now. You said Heartcleave shouldn't be used at all in the prior post. Now you're saying you use it on Doomfire raids.

We have 6 main rangers and 1 F&F that's back raiding. How many raid mains do you guys have? There's little room for 30 second recast nukes. We have Alliance on mobs, constantly. There is zero value in having Ash and wind spells mem'd for Rangers in RA. You can throw out all your fancy numbers all you want, your situation and other raid benches are apples to oranges. I need to cast Summers constantly and I need the spell gem refreshed for when I'm shooting for GoM, so I use Heartcleave. Between Called Shots line, Focused Arrow and Heartcleave I have an economical spell available more often to hope for GoM's.

You're writing me off because of the guild tag. It happens all time. I assure you I can hold my own, just fine tyvm. Any member of RA can attest to my consistency and placement. Our top 10 is littered with Rangers because we play as a team.
  18. Brohg Augur

That's not what I read in Fintank's post. He said "hardly should be used", which meshes pretty well with there being one specific event in all of Everquest where it gets called into service.

It's true that Heartcleave is quicker refresh than the Boon/Wind/Wind spells, but they're not mutually exclusive. A multibind can as trivially be made for Foreseen/Dissi/Focused/Boon/Wind/Wind/Heart/Summer as for any other line up. There's still a spell always available, see, but no overpaying for just the Ice half of Summers during Doomfire, when the cheaper spells come up.
    Sancus and Fintank like this.
  19. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

That's all fine, but no one gets jumped all over more than I do about anything pertaining to Rangers more than I do. You've posted in said threads before, Brohg - you've seen it. I'm always wrong despite my high performance and my willingness to experiment on things. When I get bored, I try different spell rotations just to see if I was smoking dope in BETA. Every level up I play with all our offensive spells and every expansion I'm sadly disappointed by the over all performance of Ash and Wind.

Coming here and starting a debate over these filler style spells is like arguing the sky is blue - which is made even worse by the caustic nature and just plain elitism an MMO message board has.
  20. Brohg Augur

The overall performance of Boon & singles isn't at question, though? Summers is definitely higher, but there's one event in Burning Lands where Summers is handicapped by an elemental immunity. Whether or not to jump past the Boon & singles to the even lower performing Heartcleave is a follow-on discussion that you appear to be engaging with emotionally rather than analytically. It's not about attacking you, it's about the spells.
    Drogba, Sancus and Fintank like this.