Server Mergers Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Corwyhn Lionheart, Jul 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

No if you actually read the post I am asking for a discussion. Read the post not just the heading sir.
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I am not reposting a close poll I am posting a new discussion.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Polls are against the rules. Discussions are okay.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I look at Luclin and Xegony two servers that seem to have done a better job at retaining players then the other servers. I see these two servers as success stories. For the servers with much smaller populations (no offense to those who play there) but I see those and less successful servers.

Now assuming you can safely merge servers with either Luclin or Xegony without any major technical snafus it seems to me you would be putting people onto servers that seem to have something special that helps them retain players.

Or maybe its just plain luck Xegony and Luclin are high pop servers. If so yeah I guess no need to include them in mergers.

I just hate the "don't mess with my world because I am doing fine" attitude of some. People may strongly disagree with my ideas or opinions about what is good for Everquest but I try to make them based on what I think will be the most good for the most Everquest players. While I stand up for the grouping/casual game I respect the fact that the raiding competitive game is a core part of the game. I think the developers need to keep raiding strong. That being said I think to keep the game going the group game needs love to.

That brings me back to including Xegony and Luclin in server mergers. Something on these servers retains players. Just merging a bunch of servers that haven't done as well at retaining folks isn't going to help thing. And Xegony and Luclin went through all the server mergers in the last that the other servers did. They survived them and flourished compared to the other servers.

Maybe some on Luclin or Xegony (though it seems to Xegony players complaining the most) figure they have a good thing and dont want to take any chances with it.

Except for Realm of Insanity and Machin Shin I see the other raid guilds on Xegony having to work a lot harder for members. Not all guilds can get people transferring servers to join their guild. And Xegony is a high pop server. I hate to see what the low pop servers look like.

Feel free to disagree with me about this. It's just a discussion. But lets leave aside any silliness and just discuss the issue. I have my opinion on what I think is best for the game and others have their opinions and all are valid. Some are only concerned about their own server that is okay to.
  5. dreamweaver Community Manager

I will say, as long as this stays within the realm of discussion and not lots of one word answers this is technically different from the thread I locked.

But I am watching.
    Skewert, Duder, Elyssanda and 2 others like this.
  6. Jimmy2times Elder

Im scared. He is watching..
    dreamweaver likes this.
  7. Littlelegs Elder

I've started a guild, Realm of Discussion. Recruitment is closed.

ps Hi Sancus.
  8. WorriedinNorrath Elder

Another day, another five posts crated by Corwyhn. Serious man. Do you just spend every day clicking refresh on these forums?
    Allayna, Cicelee and Act of Valor like this.
  9. Cicelee Augur

Developers should nerf tank belts by another ten percent because of this thread...
    Genoane, Mintalie, Yinla and 2 others like this.
  10. Nennius Curmudgeon

After considering the issue most carefully, and after consulting several focus groups as well as a Norrath wide poll of dwarves :), I would have to say that I cannot at this juncture have a clear enough conscience to vote either way on this all too important and timely question. But if I were supplied with enough pizza I might be able to summon the intestinal fortitude to cast a well deliberated and properly considered vote on this issue.

P.S. Pizza…….Please!

P.P.S. I play on Bristlebane and we really are doing quite well number wise ATM.
  11. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

I just want account-to-account transfers fixed if they are going to touch character moving code.
  12. Elyssanda Bardbrain

What do they consider a Large thriving server? Xegony certainly: top 2 end raid guilds + one of the two largest casual guilds in the game.. Luclin? the #3 guild just merged with the #2 guild a month(ish) ago, but #1 & #2 have not beaten Mearatas despite #1 having nearly 4 months of trying, plus the other largest casual guild in the game, but a fair number of the raiders have left Luclin over the last 2 years for greener pastures, myself included. I moved on because while I do have friends (and a husband) there, I wanted to be able to group with my guildees who I also raided with, but most of them boxed and didn't group.

Maybe count population as discrete owners? so a non-boxer counts as 1, and a boxer counts as 1 also? I know it's not ideal as many boxers use multiple email addresses, but it's a start.

Maybe if they did a population based merger that includes Xegony & Luclin, Highest + lowest, then 2nd highest + second lowest, etc til they meet in the middle? maybe some of them are so much lower that merging 3 together would even up some of the population.

Merge some of the TLPS too while we're at it. and Brekt /FV.
  13. Brohg Augur

I volunteer to be baby thrown out with the bathwater. All participants should be granted a week's vacation from ForumQuest
  14. Ruven_BB Augur

I am a strong "maybe". My response was 5 words, thank god I didn't just say Yes or No. We are being watched!
  15. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Who gets the EQ accounts in the divorce?

Sorry, that was just too funny to not comment.

Regardless of how I feel on this topic … until the developers and coders give some indication that the issues with server mergers has been fixed, all threads on server mergers should just be locked at the start. Because it's just a lot of hot air … which the world and certainly the EQ forums do not need any more of.
    Elyssanda and Allayna like this.
  16. AcemoneyFV Augur

Over the wall you go!

FV does NOT need anymore players. Brekt can keep those players since they obviously want a dead server.
  17. Aurastrider Augur

If this ever happens I will continue to stand by my stance of only supporting mergers of similar sized servers. If they need to merge multiple smaller population servers to achieve a population goal so be it but merging smaller with larger is not a great idea. If those who already play on larger populated servers want a merger maybe they should advocate for a second round of mergers once all servers populations are nearly equal, economies have stabilized, players have had a chance to acclimate with the "new" population they just inherited and then consider another merger. If mega servers is the end goal it should be done in phases not just thrown together sloppily overnight.

Something as follows would make the most sense:
    Phase 1: Largest population servers don't merge. Two medium sized servers merge into one. Three or more smaller population servers merge into one. Wait a minimum of a year before attempting phase two.

Phase 2: Merge two or three servers (at this point all populations should be relatively equal) into one server. Again wait another year before considering future mergers.

As a side note not everyone wants to be on a high population server. Some players actually enjoy having that "living in the country feeling" where you don't have to see your neighbor unless you want to drive up their quarter mile long driveway. Leave a couple low population servers alone and offer free transfers off of these servers for anyone who wishes to join a larger server. Also offer free transfers onto these servers for those who are being forced to merge so they can stake claim some place a little more quiet and peaceful without all of the server drama and camp checks.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  18. Allayna Augur

19. Warpeace Augur

So, someone didn't like the answer the last 10 times.....lets try again?

Server mergers do not accomplish many of the things you keep implying they will.

So, mergers NO. Save your Daybreak currency and buy your own move.
    Caell, Duder and Allayna like this.
  20. Fala New Member

Normally I just read these things and move on but for some reason felt like commenting on this discussion.
    My mains are on Bristlebane and I have been there for a long long time. Recently however I started a couple of toon on Brekt just to get away from the population, kinda like moving to the countryside just to get away for a while ya know.
    So what I am saying is no I don't want server mergers to happen because of this.
    Although I know my input means little and monetary means rule our world.
    That's all.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.