Feedback/Suggestion: Buff NPC

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Gloomfall, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Gloomfall Lorekeeper

Recently I've felt like begging for buffs in game from Shamans, Enchanters, ETC can be pretty annoying to those players and seeing it as more of a requirement to have to level up a Shaman on another account just to be able to get my buffs, it feels pretty bad and I can imagine that it annoys those players to constantly get requests for buffs.

Would love to see an in game NPC in the Guild Lobby similar to the Corpse Summoner, where you purchase a token based on the level of your character and trade it to them for a set of extended buffs within your level range. I feel like it would be a great QoL change for the game.

Thanks!
  2. KermittheFroglok Augur

Great news, they already have this, they’re called Tribute Masters :) They can be found in most guild halls, cities, etc. There are already a handful of videos on YouTube explaining how to use them. If their buffs aren’t good enough then I’d say just box a bard/enchanter or be more socially outgoing, most people I’ve met don’t mind casing buffs and I pay it forward for newbies.

Also, there is the Steadfast Servant Veteran Reward perk granted to veteran reward flagged characters for year five. The buffs can be nice depending on your server/level.

I hope and doubt the Devs would expand NPC tribute buffs to essentially replace PC buffs because it would break the class balance by crippling the benefits of our support classes.

Good luck!
  3. Gloomfall Lorekeeper

Hey Kermit, thank you for your reply. I do agree with you in some part in that I hope they don't invalidate support characters but I think that they could make the game a bit more accessible for players that want to solo without having to multi-box. Especially those that aren't in big guilds or who play during off-peak hours.

Ideally with my suggestion there would be limitations. Buffs would require a token similar to how the Corpse Summoner works. That token would be tied to a certain level and have a reasonable cost associated with it. When traded to the NPC they would buff you using buffs appropriate for that level and only RK1.

There would still be several reasons to have a support character.

• It can be difficult to annoying to constantly have to return to the Plane of Knowledge for rebuffs, having a support character in your group would allow for rebuffing in the field.
    • Support characters that are played by players will have access to more powerful versions of buffs and will be able to affect other players that are below the level they would normally have access to those buffs.
    • While I usually tip a Shaman for buffs when they do them it's in the ~5,000p range. I'd imagine the cost of these buffs from NPCs to be a bit higher at top levels.
    At least, that's my reasoning behind it. I spent nearly 2 hours last night looking for shaman buffs before I could find someone who would reply to me. Most were either AFK or just didn't bother replying because they were busy and as a Rogue it can be really difficult to solo content even close to my level, even with a Healer Merc.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

If I had a shaman that someone was tipping 5k plat for buffs then I would for sure be buffing them ALOT!

The days of paying for buffs are long gone. I constantly respond to players who offer to "donate" for buffs from my chanter, pally and ranger. Yet 99% of them do not follow thru with the donation. The last one that did offered me 100 plat - level 108 too.

I also will target the player who is constantly asking for buffs in lobby. By targeting them I can see their buff window is full with either useless shadow buffs or they already have the ones they are whining about.

Rather than waste hours waiting for buffs to come to you why not go buy a potion in the baz. Oh, there are none there? Plan ahead and buy them when they are in stock. You will pay less for the potions than you are for the buffs.

No this is not an argument in favor of a buff npc - its an opinion that you can play the game with purchased potions or even no potions, vet rewards benefits, marketplace potions, loyalty potions, stat casting familiars, etc just fine.
    KermittheFroglok likes this.
  5. Gloomfall Lorekeeper

I mean, I'm level 107. Given a set of buffs and the time I spend fighting things I typically get about 8k worth just in Diamonds/Blue Diamonds.
  6. Gloomfall Lorekeeper

Typically, when I'm looking for buffs from a Shaman I'm looking primarily for Unity. While it might not seem like a lot it gives a pretty significant stat cap increase that impacts my damage avoidance, crit rate, damage, and health. I've noticed a pretty big difference between fighting with and without those buffs.

With Unity I can be dropped down to about 45-60% in a single barrage of attacks from one dark blue opponent. Without Unity I can drop down into the 30% range making it very uncomfortable. Fights typically take a bit longer as well.

If my healer merc gets low on mana or there's a bit of a stutter in connectivity I feel a lot safer being able to take those hits.

Are there potions that provide the same buff effects?
  7. xxGriff Augur

Been a while since this idea has been brought up. while I agree that not being able to get all the buffs desired at will is less than ideal, it is also a fact of life. I did not want to "level up a shaman..." but I did, and all the better. I also leveled up a chanter, and a ranger (the later for buffs and tracking ability) for the benefit of my small band if characters. I have access to the buffs and learned the classes, so even if I am not playing those char/classes I fully understand what they are capable of. the fact is EQ was and is a MMO, and that means people were meant to group, help and interact. joining a guild that fits your game play/style or forming friendships is integral to success. Your proposition moves EQ to single player, one stop and then what? complaints that I cannot do end game progressions? basically, I understand and to some degree concur not having all desired buffs is not ideal for solo/molo, but then again EQ was never intended as such a game. I have played on 's that offer buff bots and bots, and I personally found it boring. when I wished to just play alone, I enjoyed games that were designed as such... there are no shortage of first person titles. I play EQ to interact and enjoy with friends. either friendships made in game or with friends or family. I just dont see a imperative to add this function or their addition making a positive overall impact. There are no shortage of people who feel mercs should be taken out of the game. js... if you are finding yourself unable to play the game the way you desire, you may need to alter your expectation or find a more suitable rule set/mechanic title. not that I want to see ya leave, but the change you are advocating is not some thing I feel a need for and IMO would alter the game negatively.
  8. Gloomfall Lorekeeper

Sadly though, that's not at all how it works. The other players aren't readily available to group with in most situations. You're lucky if you can find someone to buff you with what you need most of the time. During peak hours or in large active guilds it may be a bit different though.

The general answer to this by most people is to multibox another character to level it up and provide you what you're looking for... not quite sure how that is any different than what I was suggesting but with extra steps.
  9. xxGriff Augur

You miss the point. Your entire advocacy is based upon "solo/molo" ie "I wish to play alone..." and that is not an MMO. If my friends or family are not available to group, I simply find other things to do in Norrath. whether that be playing lower level alts or TS, I adjust. if neither are to my desires, I log, and do something else. The fact is if you're not "sure" how your preposition differs, then Why? there is a mechanism in place that players have found and use. there is no need to re-invent the wheel.
    Nennius likes this.
  10. Gloomfall Lorekeeper

So.. I just want to make sure that I understand your argument.

• Everquest is a MMO and they should not cater to solo/molo play.
    • Ring of Scale and Burning Lands encounters are much more difficult for non-tank melee characters to handle, and in such cases when they cannot find a group or sufficient buffs they should just... Go do something else.
    • If you still wish to solo/molo even level encounters either roll up a character that can solo those encounters without any sort of help, start boxing, or just wait until you can find a group by going to do something else.

Is that right?

If those are your points here then it's my opinion that you're advocating a system that's needlessly complicated for no reason other than to maintain the status quo.
  11. xxGriff Augur

now that the crux of this is all about defending your idea rather than the merits and/or negative impacts, I bow to your supercilious albeit specious comparison(s) and bid you good day.