Which SSD should I buy?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mintalie, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Nniki Augur

Which drive you have GINA (or GamParse) installed on isn't significant enough to matter. That'll just affect application load time, which should be nothing already. Once it's loaded, it mostly comes down to CPU.

Having EverQuest installed on a faster drive will impact loading zone files and log file I/O (can compare read/write speeds in drive specs). GINA/GamParse speed is going to be dependent on 1.) drive speed for reading the log file and 2.) CPU speed for processing/parsing.

If GINA/logging is affecting your performance, the main culprits are not having an exclusion set in your antivirus / windows defender for the EverQuest directory and/or having too many triggers enabled... or perhaps poorly written triggers (bad regular expressions, etc.).
  2. Mintalie Augur

Did the Windows Defender thing, check
    See above reply, I want all dps filters for all players on, check
    GINA--have gone through and deactivated all unnecessary triggers, check
    Went through this exceptionally detailed lag reduction guide (http://www.daguild.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8823), check
    All names of all characters and pets are turned off, check

I have been exceptionally diligent in doing everything I can... so now it's a $75 investment, a hope, and a prayer... :)
  3. Mintalie Augur

Oh... I never thought to check for GINA on Windows Defender, right on, thanks for mentioning that!
  4. Bottle Journeyman

What GPU? How much GPU-Memory?

The idea with the log files are excellent. I had these issues once too. AV software is a pita today. I have completely removed them and only run EQ and nothing else to avoid trojans and in emergency there is an image for backup ready. Works like a charm for years (as long as a hardware firewall is present). Defender is a bit more difficult to cut. There are some registry entries necessary to stop that darn thing from interfering.

Another one could be a problem with ini or config files. Testing that is easy.
    Simply on the SSD make another installation of EQ parallel to the current (fresh, directly loaded from DGB). I have parallel a virgin EQ and my usual "playing EQ" running so I can test if an issue is around the EQ installation or the PC system. I have another one with a virgin Win10 one. That is overkill but I hate crashes and want to debug them as early as possible. A system should run reliable 24/7, everything else takes the fun out of an application or game.
  5. Tanols Augur

You can still log everything but filter some things out. Like do you really need to log bard songs on pets ? Heals that do ZERO points of healing ? Etc. I'm not in game so can't give a more comprehensive list of unnecessary writes to log files.
  6. Nniki Augur

GINA itself shouldn't be an issue; I more so just meant the EverQuest directory, as it's the interaction surrounding the log file that causes the performance issue... writing, reading, processing.
  7. Mintalie Augur

I was told that this should be more than sufficient for EQ:

ASUS GeForce GTX 750 Ti DirectX 11 GTX750TI-OC-2GD5 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card

There's definitely something incredibly wonky with my EQ install on my original SSD. No sounds in EQ play. But when I downloaded the Beta version, the sounds played just fine. So I deleted EQ, reinstalled, but still no sounds. Maybe that issue will somehow fix itself when I do the fresh install on the new SSD. I'm just fresh installing everything, isn't that the best way to go about it?
  8. Mintalie Augur

Yes sir, I have all of that superfluous stuff turned off. I've painstakingly gone down the chat filter list.
  9. Bottle Journeyman

As long as a single user and no boxing is used then I would wonder really if a SSD with 90k IOPS has problems with a logfile or Gina.

Are the usual latest AMD-drivers present? Are the LAN-drivers latest?
    An option would be to test the system with a benchmark system to exclude the bottleneck.

Check SSD speed with an tool.If it is very old and was nearly full then the speed of a SSD can go into the cellar. This ADATA SSD seems from around 2014. These drives had nearly all these issues. If running Win7 then it should be patched with an SSD tool for optimum performance. Win10 has such things buildin and can work with older SSDs.

Some SSDs in that time needed a firmware upgrade to work properly over a longer period of time. To go for a new SSD is not a bad choice at all if firmware upgrades and SSD optimization is a bit too much.
  10. Nniki Augur

That is indeed more than sufficient.. even integrated GPU chips from before that one released can handle EQ just fine.
    Mintalie likes this.
  11. Mintalie Augur

Dude you are helping me so much! I haven't checked drivers, will do that. I had planned to leave Windows on the old SSD... sounds like you're suggesting I do a fresh install of that as well? I think I can find my key... ugh...
  12. Tanols Augur

May have to check settings in patcher/log in for that sound issue. Also I have had conflicts with external speakers and headset in the past that "muted" eq sounds. I had to mess around a bit with settings so sounds from EQ would always go to speakers and discord/teamspeak etc would always go to headset.
    Mintalie likes this.
  13. Bottle Journeyman

No, I am thinking about the usual fault of my customers to install Windows and don't install the drivers for the chipset/CPU and the onboard components and rely on the Windows builtin ones. I have no clue how fit you are in computers so I only take everything into account. And I don't have a clue about your Windows system (7 vs 10).

The usual recommendation of customer support is

- new Win installation
    - new game installation

But it is work and mostly overkill.I tend to simply install the latest drivers over the system. This mostly works and is not so much time involved except it does not work.

- NVidia.com has the latest drivers for your graphics card. MS Update under Win 10 has it too but mostly a bit outdated (which I cannot imagine with an old GTX750).
    - Asus has the usual drivers - LAN and AUDIO should get an update even for Win10
    - AMD.com has the latest chipset/CPU-drivers

If you don't want to rely on Asus Board Drivers for Win7 or the worse thing: Microsoft Win10 then go for the original sites. If the Asus Mainboard drivers are still lagging, here is a thing I always do. But it is not absolutely sure that it is working 100% - the installation will say if it is ok or not:

- Realtek.com.tw has the latest Realtek drivers for LAN and AUDIO.

-> your LAN is Realtek® 8111F Gigabit LAN controller
    -> your Audio is: Realtek® ALC887

This could be another chance to optimize the LAN. If Audio makes problems then the Realtek driver at Asus site is surely ok. The latest is normally at Realtek.com but I only find the ALC888 - it should be compatible but Audio was rarely really an issue from a mainboard site.

Time for a bit EQ now ;)

addon:
    I expect that your system has no temperature problems. The last years we had exceptional 35°C-40°C which made problems on many customers who didn't cared so much about stability and went more the cheaper way with readymade systems from the usual megastores. Coretemp and GPU-Z will check the heat of CPU and GPU. CPU permanently over 70-80°C (not exactly sure on AMD970) or GPU over 80°-90°+ should be an alarm sign.It slows the system down too.
    Mintalie likes this.
  14. Mintalie Augur

I have Windows 7. I'll go through ALL of those incredibly helpful links you posted.

Enjoy your EQ time!
  15. gotwar Gotcharms

Set this to 1.

/logint 1

The 0 second delay to log file writing is not worth the lag in a busy raid environment.
    Cailen likes this.
  16. Cailen Augur

/logint 0 with out being a super geek with a super system properly set up will lag you the F out
  17. Time zone Journeyman

MINIMUM WHAT U SHOULD HAVE
    https://almarsguides.com/eq/gettingstarted/boxing/PopularEQIssues/BoxingComputer/
  18. Time zone Journeyman

MINIMUM WHAT U SHOULD HAVE
    https://almarsguides.com/eq/gettingstarted/boxing/PopularEQIssues/BoxingComputer/
  19. svann Augur

Ive heard that before and I dont disbelieve you, but I have never had that issue. Its worth a try to use 0, and then if it lags change it.
  20. Dhurgan Augur

Agree, the default is 1. Without seeing the source code and making some assumptions on how GINA uses the FileSystemWatcher class, you're probably making it work overtime with the constant writes at interval 0.