Mage Epic Pet - Nerfed??

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Mabbu-EQ, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Dark_Intentions Augur

The mage epic is going to be the most difficult of all of them to get, by far. Every boxer will want one for their mage army. Getting a kill on some of those epic mobs will be near impossible for the average player. You think you have seen camping? Just wait.
  2. Zanarnar Augur

Wait they are nerfing pets on the TLP servers? I thought for months now they've said that it was impossible without impacting the live servers...

I don't see anything else here posted about it either, anyone have a link or some clarity as to what changed? (did they just decide to say F-it and nerf live too?)
  3. Elor Elder

4. Elor Elder

and some more

seomen ~ faceless
  5. Vlerg Augur

that seems like a pretty small nerf...

pet wall work because resummoning them is basicly free ... even if they 1-shot the pet.
  6. Zanarnar Augur

Thanks; unfortunately this now sinks their credibility even further. Going forward anytime they say something isn't possible, I'm going to assume it IS possible they just don't wanna do it. Thats at least the vibe I keep getting from them telling us something cannot happen, nope no way, not just possible; then wallah here it comes...
    Banuvan and Tudadar like this.
  7. Banuvan Augur

Well....yea.

Instead of saying " hey guys, this is hard but we are working on it " they say " nope, can't be done. never no how. " Then they actually do it.

HUGE difference between the two responses and DBG shows they can listen they just listen too late and/or put their foot in their mouth every time.

Good that the Kunark changes are already being done instead of hearing that it can't be done. Proactive responses are much better than reactive.
  8. Laronk Augur

No it does not. at first the ideas they had on how to do it wouldnt work so they said it wasn't feasible. They think up a new way and now it is feasible.

You've never been in a situation where you think "yeah I don't think we can do that" then two weeks later you macgyver something and all the sudden you can do it?
  9. Urshulgi Augur

Can't remember when exactly. I think sometime late 2003 or early 2004, but by then I had already switched to my cleric full time and was no longer interested in raiding with my mage.
  10. Asheran Augur

I believe that was the update to Hate 3.0, where armor dropping mobs were 30 minute respawns, and earth staves were random drops on basic forsaken revs.
  11. Drathus Augur

You got your earth staves early on - while the getting was good. The minis are now buffed and large numbers of people waiting in P`Tasa spawns. Last two P`Tasa's were killed by 36 mages and had no staves. No, you don't need 36 mages, but that's what you are now up against. In the last week there has been one Magi P`Tasa killed with staff and that actually went to Faceless Insanity raid sitting on the church steps. I would also like to add the the mage box crews sat by and simply watched - honored first aggro and did not DPS race.

Getting earth staves is not a simple feat by any means.

I realize it can go in waves. I have seen three Magi P`Tasa spawn in one 24 hour period, all with staves. I have also seen a week go by without any. I'm not saying it is a problem. The Magician epic has always been the hardest epic to achieve and probably should be.

While the epic is strong, it is level 49. Despite the arguments to the contrary, it cannot tank better than any level 60 Kunark tank. I seriously doubt it can tank any better than a raid geared level 50 warrior - and that is without defensive discs. It is summoned from the epic with a 20 second cast time and the re-summon on epic is 5 minutes. If you summon an epic pet, destroy and resummon epic, and then wait 5 minutes, you have the ability to send in an epic, cast a 20 second timer to another, resummon epic (30 seconds) and then summon epic pet again (20 seconds). Once this process is done, you have to wait 5 minutes between resummons, or wait about 15 minutes to start the process all over. Epic pets will not be chained like you see in the pet walling. Summon epic (30 seconds), you now have a 5 minute wait to summon another. Summon epic pet (20 seconds), wait the 5 minutes, destroy used epic and resummon another (30 seconds), wait another 5 minutes for the epic spell to refresh.

In Kunark, magicians will be chaining the level 60 water pet, which has the ability to backstab. The water staff from Phini will probably be more sought after than the epic itself -**** when it comes to pet chaining ****

Also the Burning Embers form Nebakaneza in burning woods is very campable and usually only takes about 2 hours to get. Just like Quillmane's mysterious spawn cycle was discovered, so too was Nebas. Nebas is actually even more simplified and doesn't even require running around the zone.
  12. Drathus Augur

I had four epic mages on Fippy. We would go to the bottom of Sebilis and kill Shrooms and Jugs. Even with four epics pets hitting the NPCs, the first pet would die before the npc was killed. If you got adds, mutiple pets would die. They have fairly nice DPS and a bunch of HP, but they can't tank very well at all. I would go as far as saying, when the regular magician pet templates were upgraded, the specific template for the magician epic was overlooked. This relates to defensive ability. When tanking and the mobs are hitting the epic DS, the epic pet can put out a great deal of damage.

Also, the staves of elemental mastery can focus pets up to level 60. The epic pet requires the Gloves of Dark Summoning (think that's the name) from VT in Luclin, or the Companion aug from LoN.
  13. Asheran Augur

Thats why i only have 4 mages.

My main is a shadow knight, and I have a cleric as well. I don't want the epic pets to tank for me. I want them to dps and stun :D
  14. krisys Elder

ban use of 3rd party software and everything is fine, but u know DBG needs the money off these boxers so it'll never happen. until then quit crying and playing the game your own way.
  15. Zinkeh Augur

Was there any definitive info about the epic pet? I noticed almost right off playing a mage on Mangler how bad the pets were. I have a 59 mage on p99 and the difference between the same pets there and on mangler are striking.

I finally got my epic pet for the first time a week or two ago on Mangler and was so excited to try the "beast pet" i remember my old guildies having. I remember what a monster that pet was. I was worried when my water pet was made of tissue paper and my earth pet was barely tanking....but I figured nah..they wouldn't completely screw up the epic pet.

Yeah..I was wrong. First thing I tried him on was 2 green sarnaks and 1 grey sarnak outside of Chardok. With 2 weapons, Muzzle of Mardu and Burnout 3 the pet almost died. The epic pet..almost died to 2 greens and a grey. I've had this repeat countless times since then. Most recently, 4 greys in Kaesora did 75% dmg to the epic pet before I stepped in to nuke them down. Greys.

If you're going to nerf the pet that badly you need to compensate by removing the 25 freakin second cast time on the pet and the orb itself or provide some means of healing it before AA's. The pet is weaker noticeably from the old version yet all the other stuff is still in place: Slow Summon time, Slow casting to summon Orb, No real way to heal the pet...etc

His dps seems alright, but his HP/AC and overall mitigation abilities seem significantly reduced from "the old days"

***on a side note: I logged my P99 mage and went to Everfrost Ice giants with my 57 earth pet...now mind you I farmed these with the 39....fire pet on p99. I did the same on Mangler. The 57 earth pet on p99 did noticeably better with the same buffs on the same target so something has definitely been overdone on TLP***
  16. HoodenShuklak Augur

If you didn't already say you went back to p99 I bet someone would say just that.

Kidding aside, the pets were broken due to a lot of power creep in eq. The answer was a drastic swing but it was a net positive. You can see some early tlp videos where bosses are simply killed with swarms of pets. It's not really good for the game. Eventually pets might be more balanced when motm is removed.

The dev's have stated that it's possible motm could fall off in the future when they accommodate for the power creeps across so many classes and aspects of the game.

As it stands now, just dont think of mages as pet soloists like classic eq. They still are great though and the pets are consistent dps welcome in most groups. Mages have it pretty good on tlps imo.
  17. Scruff Elder

they really need to remove or adjust the stun component on the epic mage pet, it's basically a total nuisance in groups since it's constantly pulling aggro and getting chunked for half its hp (or outright killed) vs level 55+ enemies

as-is i really wouldn't recommend boxing a magician or playing one unless you have a cleric to keep its hp buffed up and babysit its health, the lack of survivability from dramatic nerfs made it really annoying to have an epic pet around (due to constant stun proc aggro)
  18. Relentless Insomnia

It got nerfed.

PS. You just necro'd a piece of TLP history my friend.
  19. TriniKrath New Member

20. Zinkeh Augur

Indeed. Something needs to be done w/it. In groups the thing pulls agro constantly with taunt off and when soloing he gets faceplanted far too often. We were in HS and had a bad pull of 5 or 6 LB npcs. Had some folks down but I went through 3 pets in that one fight because he was just unable to hold his own..at all. I was farming HG's a few days ago and the pet almost died several times if I had 3 or 4 greys on him at the same time. Greys.

I also realize this was a necro thread LOL....went searching for anything I could about a nerf and found this.

If they're going to leave the pet as a giant wuss they need to compensate with an earlier pet heal, cut the casting time to instant or 5 seconds...etc. As it stands right now he dies so damn easily and then I'm forced to cast a Dyzil's decoy and then hope like hell it lives long enough to get off a stupid 20 second cast.

There are things I could easily and casually solo on my necro with his EoT pet and places I'd go with him that I'd never in a million years be able to do on this mage with this terrible nerf to the epic pet.

There is nothing epic about this pet.