In the next expac can we finally have a Pet Tab

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tutankamen, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Tutankamen Augur

Can we FINALLY get a PET tab in the inventory similar to the MERCENARY tab in this NEXT expansion? See this is a tab where you can see, and adjust your pets armaments and other gear. I can't imagine why we don't have this already. This tab can show us precisely how much HP/ stats etc the pet has too, again, like the merc tab. We can change in and out gear until we're happy. Just like Merc window- really not much different at all! Why is this so long in coming would be my question.
    Jhenna_BB, Boze, Fcseven XIII and 3 others like this.
  2. Teylana Elder

+1
    This is a great idea.
  3. Fcseven XIII Journeyman

Add me as someone who would also like to see this someday.
  4. MarttinPH Augur

Optimist Solution: My suggestion to create a ticket on the daybreak ticket site for this issue and encourage people to comment on it. Posting on the forums about a change like this is going to have no effect at all.
    Realistic Solution:
    1.Pet armor management is a key component of those classes that use the armor. This has been reduced in complexity before for mages at least with focused pets already having armor equipped.
    2. This would be a relatively large UI addition change and would require more than 5 minutes of work. It isn't going to ever happen.Remember developers for daybreak spend 70% of their time fixing "bugs" that benefit players that have been that way since 2001. The other 20% is spend fixing the "fixes" that they implemented to fix those bugs. The other 10% is spent looking for another job online.
  5. Baldur Augur

Boze and Grove like this.
  6. Boze TLP complaint factory

Top tier possible QoL improvement for pet classes.

Baldur linked the ticket.

Necros and Beasts still need to fully gear their pet. Regearing pets is probably the only part I don't like about playing this class. Being able to manage it more easily would make getting set up after death sooooo much nicer. I'd almost advocate for persistent pet gear, like with merc gear, except I bet that'd result in a concurrent pet nerf.

We've gotten several big UI changes just within the last year; e.g., faction window, chat tabs. They're definitely answering QoL requests lately.
    Yinla likes this.
  7. Smix New Member

Gearing pets after death is a pain. A lot of single casts as a Beastlord to get pet and pocketed pet back up. No arguing that. I don't see any reason for Necro and Best to get persistent pet gear though. It's not our wheelhouse. Mages summon pet gear. That's their shtick. Changing the form of Necro pet to many illusions (zombie, skeleton, scarecrow) can show you if they are equipped with weapons or not, and the same with Beast (white werewolf, skeleton). After a death I know my pets need all weapons and armor. It's when I give them weapons and then later I can't remember if I gave them armor or not that the pet window would be useful-ish. If they are already equipped they won't take it, so I'm stuck with an unexpanded bag of armor is the only loss.

At first I was into the idea of a pet window, but after some thought I think it's not nearly as useful as I imagined. A full window with all stats could be opening up a problem with other classes calling for nerfs if they decide pets have stats that are overpowered in some way. That's a can of worms I would rather not open. I know what I'm working with now, I don't want it changed any more.
  8. Spellfire Augur

I would rather see devs spend their time on new quests and raids and dot revamp.
    AcemoneyFV, Vexana_Lanys and Duder like this.
  9. Boze TLP complaint factory

I definitely see your point. Pet stats are probably fairly bizarre compared to actual toons.

I guess utility would depend on how they would implement it. Do I still need to open a trade window with my pet for every four items? Not that helpful. Can I just drag and drop items in a window? Awesome. Could I swap gear slots with the pet after giving it to them? Absolutely amazing, probably opens up some exploits though.
  10. Mazame Augur

Having a pet tab that could help in many ways.

A few questions I have is how are pets tuned? Mage pets are summon geared but a bst / nerco is not. But are they tuned as if they had full gear? After all if they are tuning pet based on them being full geared then most the time my pet is missing out. After all pets die to a lot of unexpected things. so when your out fighting it not always easy to re-gear a pet.

When you do gear a pet it would be nice to be able to swap out gear. for Example when soloing I may give my pet aggro weapons. as I grinding away some one invite me to a group. now do I kill my pet and remake a new one with out aggro weapons? if I could just swap them out it would be great. I know I can pocket a pet and in doing so I can some time go days with out losing a pet and then I pull out the pocket pet and it has aggro weapons on raids.

Next is the cost. I gear my pet with crafted gear often because I can use a sewing kit vs having to track down a mage. when pets where 1st added a lot of the gear was pet use-able so as I would fight when I didn't need the loot I would give it to the pet to use. With many of the changes the gear that rotting is no longer pet use-able. so getting pet gear has been more troublesome then it was in the past.

yes mages can "summon gear" but I do not know many mages that summon all 3 bags and a mask each time between events for every pet class. and when you die you need 2 sets so you can pocket a back up. So my question is do mages care deep down if they were to not have to summon gear ever again ? after all loading 4 different spells and chain casting them just to gear other people sound like a lot of fun.
    For me I would love to see a pet tab with gear like mercs. Mages can summon the gear if they want to keep that going but have it a one time thing not have to get a new set every time the pet dies. I would even be ok if it was like a power source that you put pet gear in the window and then lose durability until they brake. That way you can get a pet gear and say it lose 4% and hour, so every 25 hours you would have to get new pet gear. if you played an avg of 8 hours a day you get just over 3 days out of the gear. if you play 4 hour a day you get a week out of the gear. I would be happy about only having to track a mage down 1-2 times a week.
  11. Angahran Augur

How about this as an idea for a new spell for mages.

You target a pet to cast. The spell then puts a full set of armor/jewelry/mask on the pet and drops a bag of weapons on the pet owners cursor.
    If the spell is cast while targetting a player a single bag containing a full st of all pet gear plus weapons is placed on their cursor.

Would make it easier for mages, no more having to cast multiple spells and easier for pet owners, just need deal with one bag.
  12. Mazame Augur

I like your idea of single spell / single bag.. However it wont solve all the issues.
    I go out grinding and some time I keep my pet alive for days (don't think he ever lived a week), other time he dies every few pulls. Like last night I was doing hunter in Droga and one named I was having some trouble with and had to make a new pet 3 times.

So when I go out grinding how many slots do I need to give up for pet gear? I not sure how much I will need because I don't know if my pet going to die often or not till I get there. Kind of sucks when your deep in an area and run out of pet gear. so do you go back to get more or just keep going with out. Most I would say keep going with out.
  13. smash Augur

I say, no pet window, and items should be dested when pet die, see why: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/pet-gear.258653/

Instead I would suggest that the way magician summons equipment should be changed a bit

Magicians would be able to summon 3 different types of clicks.

1) click for summon weapon: and when clicking it would equip pet with 2 weapons.
    2) Swap weapon: it would then change to another type of weapon, there 5 different types like today.
    Click item would have 5 sets of weapons, like today.

1) click for summon jewelry: when clicken it would equip pet with jewelry.
    Click iitem would have 5 sets of jewelry.

1) Click for summon armor: When clicking it would equip pet with armor
    Click item would have 5 sets of armor.

This would still require a magican like today, however equipping a pet would then only require 3 clicks instead of manually equipping it
    Making it a lot faster.
  14. Boze TLP complaint factory

link to your comment within that thread: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/pet-gear.258653/#post-3809216

To be honest I'm 100% OK with a nerf to pet power if I could permanently leave items on it through the UI. Like I said above, regearing pets after death is the only part of this class that annoys me. I either have to always carry extra sets of stuff around, or go back to the baz/bank/parcel whenever I lose a pet. I would totally take a nerf to get rid of that inconvenience.
    Yinla likes this.
  15. Mazame Augur

This still doesn't fix the biggest issue. When a pet dies having to re gear him sucks but not because of the equipping him but more so because the amount of bag space you have to set apart for summon gear.

I had days where pet dies back to back. I recall re-gearing a pet 3-5 time in a mission.

5 set of gear = 17-20 slots (5 armor bags, 5 masks, 5 jewelry bags , 2-5 weapons bags ( if you want taunt weapons because your using pet to tank you need 5 otherwise 2 bags would give you 6 sets of dps weapons.)) You then need another 8+ slots for unpacking the bag so you can then give it to the pet.

The summon items poff on log out so If you crash you risk losing the stuff your holding.

Finding a mage to summon you stuff is a pain and not something most people want to do when they log in.

Most people have a mage alt at this point so We summon gear and put it on the /baz and then buy it sending ti to the parcel vender. then leave it sitting there so it wont poof on log out and we don't have to spend the first 30 min of our game time getting gear for pet.

We do have to skill load up on the bag before we go out or run back to a vendor each time our pet dies. I would say most people just end up not gearing the pet on death. Some only use weapon and mask/ belt (haste item)

Why should BST / Necro / Chanter / SK / Shammy (classes I know use pet often) I know other like druids / bards / rangers have pets but I never seen them gear their pets. have to jump threw hoops to gear our pets? All pet gearing is at this point is a time sink that is more frustrating than it worth.

either do away with pet gear all together. or give us a pet tab where we don't have to re-gear every time the pet dies.

I not saying mages can't be the one to summon the gear but do we need to seek one out every time our pet dies ?

If mages want to be "summoner" then how about bring back their summon food/ drink give them Good stat food they can summon that people can beg them for and they can "summon" to their hearts content.
    menown and Boze like this.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I am pretty sure it would be a coder who would work on the pet window and a designer who would work on quests/raids/dot revamp so unless those required code work to get done there would be no impact from doing the pet window.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  17. Spellfire Augur

I would rather see coders spend their time on other things then a pet window.
    smash and Duder like this.
  18. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

pet tab would be nice but all the tanks will probably hate it when they see how many hps pets have. I just made my mage be nice to see how many hps the pet has.

Andarriel
  19. Micker Augur

Everquest is better with more information. It started out with very little information on what things did. People want to see numbers and those numbers get bigger. The more numbers, the better. We like stats, showing us more info is a good thing. You can't make educated decisions by guessing.
  20. Mintalie Augur

As someone who decks their pet out with all player-made gear, I can absolutely attest to how tedious it is to regear a pet after death.

However.

I'd much rather continue to have the option to do this as I see fit rather than persistent gear, for the SOLE reason that there would definitely be a nerf.

Same reason I don't want a pet tab. I used to, but now I see how that's just begging for a nerf.

Pets are fine. :cool:
    Gyurika Godofwar, smash and Duder like this.