Veteran Rewards - Why don't they auto-apply to all characters on the account?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Skewert, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Don't TLps get the vet rewards when it reaches the expansion vet rewards went live in?

If so I don't see a problem.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  2. Skewert Lorekeeper

I believe so. But let's say you've faithfully maintained an account for the past 8 years. You already have 8 characters created on your 'main' liver server, so you're SOL on the TLP server since you've already hit your max. Or regardless, TLP servers seem to eventually die off (like Agnarr - isn't it pretty dead nowadays?). So, you create a new character on a TLP, you feel compelled to use veteran rewards on one of those characters (assuming you have a 'slot' available), but then you use them on a character on a server that you'll sooner or later never touch again. That's one of your slots permanently lost. What happens if you want to create more than one character on that TLP server? That's 2, 3, 4, etc... more slots permanently lost. If you've earned the rewards for your account, all your characters on that account should get the rewards. Why should there be this balancing act of do I? or don't I? activate these rewards on a new character. They're your rewards, you shouldn't have to ration them out, and it's particularly annoying if you don't keep close track of how many slots you have left. This problem will only be exacerbated as they continue to release new TLP servers every year (or more than once a year?).
    Syylke_EMarr likes this.
  3. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Vet Rewards should be account-wide and auto-granted.

That is all.
    Skewert likes this.
  4. Teylana Elder

Agreed.
  5. MarttinPH Augur

I am fairly certain all veteran rewards open up with OoW on TLP servers. Characters have access to all the rewards available to their account, in other words they are released all at once instead of when they unlocked on the live servers.
    I am also very much for the idea that all characters on an account should have access to all the veteran rewards. The issue currently is that veteran rewards are tied to the character once activated. It may be possible to sell "veteran reward" characters, which daybreak would not want at all.
  6. Balthozzar Elder

Not entirely. The character may have itself flagged as having veteran rewards, but the vet rewards themselves depend on what the account is entitled to. Years ago, when it was possible to move characters between accounts, I moved my Wiz alt (Balthozzar) off of my main account so that I could box him with my main (a warrior). At the time, our guild and my group of friends still playing had really dwindled, so having 2 characters to help fill out a group was an advantage. The wiz already had claimed vet rewards, but once moved to a brand new account, he didn't actually have any of them. Still to this day, he only has most of the vet rewards, while my original account has all 14.

There is no way to check, but I'm sure that my wiz still used up one of my main account's vet reward slots, but the character didn't get to carry all of the vet rewards he used to have access to with him, instead, having to start over. Yet another reason to make vet rewards account wide.
    Skewert likes this.
  7. svann Augur

edit: nm. post above me already said it.
  8. CrazyLarth Augur

Because if they "auto-apply-to-all-characters-on-the-account" they would of coded it differently and the age of the toon would be considered what ones they have access to.
  9. svann Augur

Giving everyone access to lesson of the day would be as silly as giving everyone the power to res people!
  10. Elyssanda Bardbrain

Rez tokens.
    Skewert, svann and CatsPaws like this.
  11. Diptera Augur

And, of course, xp potions ;)
  12. Dahaman Augur

Agreed.
    Skewert likes this.
  13. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I'm guessing that all of the people who are complaining about this are the people who claim vet rewards on their level ones repeatedly, play them for 10-20 levels then delete them and start another character. The number of characters you can apply them to is part of the Vet rewards.
    CatsPaws and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  14. Dahaman Augur

There are tangible benefits to updating the policy.

- Buyer's Remorse is a real thing when applying a Veteran's Reward.

- The number of veteran rewards left on an account to give out is always in question.
    - TLPs are a good addition to EQ's lineup (losing vet rewards become a detractor to get in on them)
    - Why penalize swapping character mains?
    - "balance" fixes causing a main switch causes more anguish with the loss of vet rewards too

What are the downsides?

- flexibility in character selection?
    - easier swaps of main characters?
    - easier experiments on TLP or event servers?

In the end, a deleted heroic character gives back the heroic character choice. At the very least, deleted veteran characters doing the same is VERY reasonable. I figure it would be far easier to implement it to the entire account though, hence that'd be my go to update choice.

NOTE: I am in no way suggesting that characters get them before Gates expansion on TLPs.

For posterity, I haven't placed a veteran reward on a character in over a year, as I'm playing on Coirnav TLP. So, any update to this policy will have zero effect on me. :-D
    Skewert likes this.
  15. Skewert Lorekeeper

It seems as if you're attempting to defend the current policy by simply restating the policy. I think most of the people in this thread know what the limitations are; repeating the details of the current policy isn't an argument in favor of it.

I'm "complaining" about it because I can't think of a compelling reason for the limitation to have been implemented to begin with, and no one has offered one here yet either, in my opinion. On the flipside, there are many compelling reasons to make it account wide, one of the biggest ones being that, with sixteen classes in EQ, players will eventually want to create additional characters. When they consider making those additional characters, not being able to claim veteran rewards will be a disincentive to do so. Any disincentive for players to play more EverQuest, particularly one like this that wouldn't be in any way game-breaking to implement, is a net loss of sub fees for Daybreak. I think it should be obvious why players would want to have their entitled veteran rewards on the characters that they play.
    Teylana likes this.
  16. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I think adding veterans to a character should be a careful decision. But I don't constantly delete and remake toons.
  17. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I highly doubt the inability to have Vet rewards on unlimited chars is a major deciding factor of whether or not people are going to play/pay. Look at TLP's and how crowded they are at the start and not a single char can have Vet rewards for quite some time on them even if you have the available slots.

You're right there's 16 classes, currently I can flag 19 chars so that's more than enough to cover every class. Sure, not everyone has that many claims available but they were never intended to have unlimited claims. Like I said before stick with a char for a year and you won't have any issues. If you're not sure if you want to stick with a certain char yet then don't claim them yet, they aren't going to make or break you while you're learning/testing a class.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Yinla like this.
  18. minimind The Village Idiot

Make universal Veteran Rewards a Veteran Reward itself. After 4 years, automatically enable it on all of the account's characters.
  19. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

That's not a bad idea for the 15th Reward. I always hoped for a Summon Parcel Merchant for one last AA, but universal chars as the last Vet AA would be a fitting end as well.
    eepok likes this.
  20. Skewert Lorekeeper

No, I don't think it'd be a "major" deciding factor, but a disincentive nonetheless, and a disincentive without any real positives. From the player/payers perspective, what is there to like about being limited to the number of slots you can claim your rewards on? I happen to have 14 on my primary account, and 11 on my secondary account. I believe I have a number of slots available on both, but I'm not really sure. It'd be great if I didn't have to worry about such things. Give me all 14 rewards on my primary account, for any character I create, regardless of server, and 11 on secondary account. Feel free to tell me why it's a good thing that I cannot do that.

But why? EQ2 has unlimited claims. People who seem to be in disagreement with me here keep simply stating what the limitations are. I understand that it was "never intended" that there be unlimited claims, or at least it wasn't implemented that way. Maybe it's some sort of technical shortcoming for EQ? I'm not sure if they ever spoke of the intent behind limiting it to X number of chars for X number of earned veteran rewards.

This is an argument for why it's not so bad having to deal without the veteran rewards that you have earned. Make them available to any character I create then I don't have to even think about such things (and why should I?). I often play EQ for 2-3 months at a time, every year or two. I have rewards, and I think I should use them. It is a disincentive to me to want to create a new Beastlord, or whatever, and feel like it's a big decision for me to decide whether or not I want to use my veteran rewards on this character. Do I really want to play a Beastlord? How many veteran reward slots do I have left? It'd be nice if I could just create a Beastlord, get my however-many years of vet rewards, and start leveling. When decisions feel big like that, I often just get overwhelmed and decide to go play something else, and subsequently stop paying sub fees. Let me create new characters without feeling like they're gimped from the point of creation, and I'll stay entertained for another month or two, etc.
    Balthozzar likes this.