Two populations playing the same game

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Corwyhn Lionheart, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Whulfgar Augur

If yes. That would skew the debate to 1 side over the other in terms of not knowing who is or was or had been a raider in the first place.
  2. Deathstroke Journeyman

And far more people are still group geared than raid gear even with it being tradable.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  3. Whulfgar Augur

But.. your completely ignoring the real question.. for FV server..

How many of those group only geared toons are boxes only.. of raid geared mains ? I'm better the vast majority of them are.
  4. Deathstroke Journeyman

Actually very small portion. FV has a pretty huge casual base. Definitely a lot who don't play often for sure, but still subscribe. I'm not going to make up numbers like some when, no one really knows, but running around it's pretty clear
  5. tyrantula Elder

I raid in three different guilds atm. At *least* half of each guild boxes 2-3 people. At the high end, a few people box more than 2 groups worth.
    Voxynn likes this.
  6. enclee Augur

I would change your classifications to Enthusiasts and Hobbyists. Enthusiasts are passionate about their hobby and can to some extents pursue it to a professional level as opposed to the hobbyist that treats a hobby more leisurely.
    Gyurika Godofwar, Yinla and Elyssanda like this.
  7. Bigstomp Augur

While I agree with you it's probably generally raiders on beta. How does your group compare outside of beta?

I bet it's similar, you group with your usual friends. (nothing wrong with that, I do as well).

Your percents are likely wrong, since you group with people you know. (as do I. you'd think 1/3rd of every player was a cleric if you took a sample based on my groups)
  8. Bigstomp Augur

On Bristlebane, we have 3 competitive raid guilds. (grats RA, you beat us on this one).
    We have casual raiding too.
    We invite whoever to casual raiding.
    People from all 3 main (main meaning potentially in the progression race) guilds, as well as many from less competitive guilds come out as well.
    We all play nice together and it is pretty sweet really.
    Duder, Nennius and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  9. Elyssanda Bardbrain

Not that this thread is about boxing, But I don't box, yet I raid.
  10. Flatchy Court Jester

Would it blow your mind if I told you that a greater majority of people who play EQ DO NOT post daily here? Then again that is what I was getting at with my "your world view" statement.

Now I cannot prove that to be a true statement but it seems like it would be logical. Ive played this game non stop since 2003 and have not posted once or read this forum till lately.

Anyway its about as much "PROOF" as I have seen you contribute.
    Mazame and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  11. Filter Augur

Just to toss in my two cents worth....

I'm the minority in the game these days. I do not raid but I used to but life happens and the lack of time I can dedicate to this game has shrunk.
    I am the definition of a casual player these days. Now I still have a heck of a drive to maximize my toons but I know better than to spend so much time doing things for them. I try to be self sufficient so asking for help is extremely difficult for me and hence why I struggle on things sometimes. I know of roughly 15 people on my server that are true casual players without raiding toons in other guilds. I would venture to say that raiders out number casuals by a significant amount. Personally I don't care because I'm mostly to myself anyway.

Bezerkz
    Dontsuk
  12. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Don't think it is up to the players to decide whether there are more casual or raid players DBG has to have the ability to see that themselves. I would also suggest that over the last few expansions there have been times they have tuned down content for the casual crowd primarily so I suspect it is still a large portion of the player base.

But that is just my opinion.
  13. Spellfire Augur

This.
  14. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Never has this:

Seemed more appropriate in a FQ thread before.
    Duder likes this.
  15. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

I actually installed gameparse a couple weeks ago and my casualness has changed...true story bro.
  16. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

It’s strange that Esianti and Mearatas are easier to tank, pull, and DPS than all the lower tier zones.

Smoke should have been the final zone, not a gateway to the expansion.
    cadres, Yinla, Elyssanda and 2 others like this.
  17. kenmei Augur

TLPs were people running from the Boxers teams on Live servers...
    but since alot of these foolish people refuse to stop buying/spending krono, the boxers just follow.
    Imho there are 2 groups playing EQ, but its not competitive vs casual... That left long ago with krono.
  18. Kurage_of_Luclin Augur

I think one thing has to happen. Maintain loot such that there is a large difference between guild and group content.( that is reward vs skill/difficulty/man-hours.) Raid gear should always significantly exceed the gear found in available group content. Also, the group and raid content should be easier for lesser quality gear and harder for higher quality gear.

If that easier content isn't offered to the group only players, with proportional rewards. There will be a lost of one type of player interest.
    And if the Raid content gear is not proportionally better based on the highly skilled players needed to gain the rewards, then you will loose interest of raiding players.

There are those who say everyone should get the same gear, but that would cause a significant loss of either player base. If you view gear as a simple economics supply vs demand curve, and apply the same principles people would realize that there has to be a significant gradient for and equilibrium to be achieved.

Lastly what would motivate players to be the best of the best, if every player could just easily buy or achieve the same status for minimal effort?
    Elyssanda, Duder and Allayna like this.
  19. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Its a double edged sword. Raid gear has to be a lot better because a lot more work is put in to get it. BUT you cannot then make group content that is challenging for those same raiders because it then is far too difficult for the group players. The problem is never about raiders getting better gear it is about then tuning group content to those raid geared folks.

Both populations in the game need to be satisfied. Group content (yes I know raiders do group content) should be based on the abilities from hard core to average of those playing the group game in group gear.

Now an argument could be made that raid geared and raid trained players who get every bit out of their toons that they can should be rewarded with group content that only they can do. In some ways there is nothing wrong with this. EXCEPT Everquest is at the point where it needs every player it can hold on to and needs to persuade people to COME BACK to the game. The only way I can see that you can reasonably do that is to keep the group game healty along with the raid game.

Raiders can happily have super better stats then group gear BUT they cannot then expect any group content to be tuned to a level of difficulty suited to that gear.

And I cannot emphasize enough that there is nothing wrong bad or evil about tuning group content to raid geared and trained players. It is simply that for the game to stick around as long as possible DBG needs to create and have a very healthy group game for those who do not raid.

Some raiders still try to turn what I say as anti raider bias but it just isn't so. As much as I want a healthy group game I want a healthy raid game because in the end I want Everquest to go on as long as possible and that requires both a healthy group AND raid game.
  20. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Btw when the raid gear group gear gap gets smaller I don't think it has anything to do with group players complaining. I think a smaller gap just makes it easier for DBG to try and create group content that will present some challenge to everyone.