Pet gear

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Fala, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Fala New Member

Gonna maybe sound like a complete noob here but...
    I have been back for about 6 months now after 8 or so years away.
    I've been playing a mage for quite a while now (my main started 17almost 18 years ago) and I still have yet to figure out how to tell what gear my pet has. I have seen posts that say pets have such and such gear when summoned but yet have I seen where or how to view my pets gear.
    Is there some secret to it or is it still just a mystery to the masses?
    And if a way for us to see mercs gear and requip them as we see fit why isn't there a way for a mage to do the same with their pet?
  2. Skewert Lorekeeper

I know if you summon them with Enhanced Minion (EM) focus (though I'm not sure if that's required after a certain level), they won't take any of the summoned mage gear other than bracer, earring, and ring (best of those 3, I believe, come from the summoned bag of focus items), and weapons of course. So I'm guessing they have just about everything else. I know I had heard that they come with a back slot item, and that's where the majority of their enhancements come from whatever level of EM focus you have.
  3. Fala New Member

Right so that continues the "what do they actually have" question.
    We know the back item, visor (for lower levels), and weapons parts. It's all trial and error and passed on trial and error info for the rest. But why has there never been put into place even if it would be an AA a way to look at your pets gear.

Or have I just not found it?

Also for all the ones out there that say "this is the gear the summoned pet has when summoned" other than the hearsay where is the window or tab "pets inventory"..?
  4. Petalonyx Augur

The problem is the quantity of legacy information out there. It's often no longer accurate and it makes deciphering current EQ pet mechanics via internet research pretty difficult at times.

As far as pet gear, i wish someone knowledgable would chime in one what slots we should NOT try to replace. My understanding is anything but cloak, and perhaps mask, is fair game. Replacing any other slot with something the pet will accept is unlikely to reduce pet effectiveness (tanking esp).
  5. Skewert Lorekeeper

I suppose you could try to give the pet a piece of really low-level, really low AC gear for each slot (except maybe back or face, though if it's really low AC it should work) and see if it takes it. If it doesn't, then it will already have that slot occupied. I have read that pets have only one wrist slot, one earring slot, and one ring slot. I don't believe they have a charm slot, and not sure about a range.

If you're asking what the pets have specifically in each gear slot, I have no idea how to find that out. I think only the devs would know for sure.
  6. Beergoggles Elder

I don't know why they don't just add a pet equipment tab similar to the merc equipment tab. That way there is no question about what gear your pet does and does not have equipped.
  7. Brohg Augur

Mercenaries aren't equipping those items. Those are *your* items, that happen to boost their stats instead of your stats. Entirely, wholly, intrinsically, fundamentally, completely different from gear equipped by pets
    Leex likes this.
  8. Beergoggles Elder

No one said they were the same, just stated they could add a tab on your character window similar to the mercenary gear tab that would allow you to view pet's gear. Similar does not mean the same.
    Skewert likes this.
  9. Leex Pewpewer

I think you are missing the complexities in adding what you think, would be a "similar" change.

As Brohg stated, they would not be remotely the same, nor similar. Your idea of what the window would look like, may be similar, but the coding that goes into the development of said window, would not be.
  10. Fian Augur

An end user requesting a feature does not mean they are saying the functionality is easy or hard. They are just stating what would be a useful UI in their opinion for displaying the desired information.
  11. Vinjin Lorekeeper

Largely semantics but I do see the difference.

Character page is gear that the player owns and has equipped to boost stats, power, etc.

Merc page is gear the player owns, the player has equipped, and the stats from the items "transfer" over to the merc.

I think what every pet class player is asking for is, a separate tab (the same way the Merc page is a separate tab), but where the pet equips the gear the same way as the player character does, thus owning the boosted stats, power, etc from those items the same way the character does and instead of the way they are transferred to the merc.

Does this sound right?
  12. Raccoo Augur

Man a pet equipment window would be nice. Especially if you keep the equipment on deaths, instead of having to re-equip the pets. Would be fine imo if the gear always disappeared when you logged out instead of being saved to the pet. Although I guess that would frustrate mages more than other pet classes. :p
  13. Raloinx New Member

I agree a pet gear window would be awesome.

I'd lobby for a moderate AC and DPS boost to pets across the board and completely abandoning the pet gear system first though.
  14. Brohg Augur

I like this much better. NPCs not equipping things at all have saved DBG tons of work over the years, but I bet it's pretty deep in their identity as Things That Can Fight.
    Sancus likes this.
  15. Brohg Augur

would* have saved, damn edit timeout
  16. Beergoggles Elder

Right, no matter how it is implemented I think most are for some sort of method of being able to view pet's equipment. I also agree that removing the need for pet gear would be great, but as of now it's in the game. Maybe they will consider one of the options. Hell I'd even settle for an option to right click pet to inspect it.
  17. Brohg Augur

ooh, yes. /insp window much more apt, like, analogy than merc tab.
  18. smash Augur

I am 100% against a pet window, where the equipment are kept through deaths..

Why is that ? Because result is that pets will then be nerfed, How is that ?

Pets will then be balanced out from the point of the equipment, and it will be balanced out from the best equipment they can have. They will NOT be belanced out from being naked.

Each time, there has come things like that, the result has been done like it.
    So lets say a pet got 300k hps without equipment, and it can get 50k from equipment.

Pet in future is likely to get something like 275k instead and get up to 325k with equip instead of 350k because they will have the items through deaths, and same stuff will happen for dps, will be lowered without equipment and get up to above the present dps without equipment as present.

And same thing will happen for tanking power.

They cannot allow pets to be maxxed all the time, today pets will lose equipment(power) when they die and then their extra powers are reset until they equipped with new items..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IF they make a pet window, it should be so that equipment poof when you die, and you will also NOT be allowed to unequip items you have equipped on pet, Why? Because you in fight and you can see you likely to die, or pet is likely to die, then you could hurry to unequip some items. Also you could otherwise unequip items from pet, b4 going into fight, where you likely to die.
  19. Raccoo Augur

Ok, equipment poofs on death. But make it so you can dump a bag full of equipment and it will auto-equip in the right slots so I don't have to hand 4 items one at a time. :p
  20. Diptera Augur

Why would unequpping equipment a bad thing?