Two populations playing the same game

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Corwyhn Lionheart, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Read my original post then go through the thread and see the responses and I bet you can pick out the ones from people who didn't read the OP at all.

It is amazing the number of negative responses to a post that simply described two populations in game. Never insulted either of them. And stated that it is understandable that the game devs have problems keeping everyone happy.

And none of them could actually quote anything from the original post to back up their claims. It is sort of sad to realize some people are so entrenched in their own little camps in Everquest that they will blindly lash out without actually reading posts or thinking things through. To be expected I guess but still a little sad.

To everyone else I do enjoy the discussions and my thanks to those that actually read the original post before making comments. :)
  2. Brohg Augur

Delineating an Us and a Them isn't a neutral act. I don't think you're stupid enough to think so, and pretending the rest of us are stupid enough to believe that assertion is pretty offensive.
    Warpeace, Allayna and Kamor like this.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

And that is where there was no US and THEM. There was simply the discussion of two main groups in the game and the difficulty in designing content that both groups will enjoy.

If you read the post you will see there was no US and no THEM. Merely a respectful description of the two groups. Please quote something supporting this US versus Them you are speaking of.

I am sorry you got offended by an imaginary act you think I committed but I cannot take responsibility for any imagined slights.

Seriously just keep quiet or QUOTE something to support what you are saying. You can't because it is all in your head.

I think your post does illustrate the reactionary type of forum post we deal with though. Can't quote anything so attack me instead. No worries I am a big boy and can stand up for myself :)

For the purpose of this post I will say competitive are the upper tier raid guilds and those who want to play their top game to be above the average person. This is a completely valid way to play.

People can also drift in and out of either group nor is either group all raiders or all groupers there are many ways to be competitive. From raiding to playing the Bazaar. Even in the raiding game there are competitive raid guilds and not so competitive raid guilds.

I think both groups are needed to keep Everquest going and the hardest job of all falls to the game devs trying to satisfy the gaming needs of both populations.

READ THE POST

You may not believe it but I think both groups are needed to keep Everquest going and finding a way to keep both groups happy enough to buy expansions is a GOOD THING. Not sure what more you want from me.... well probably rather not have me voice my views but that won't happen anytime soon :)
    Shanarias likes this.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Probably right regarding the least effort part. I would do gribbles when I wanted to just relax.

There probably is a place for easier content in each expansion though. If I want a challenge I will do the harder stuff if I wanted a more relaxing experience I do the easier stuff. Seems to be a win win.

I definitely do not think there should ONLY be easier stuff or ONLY be harder stuff. Yeah it is getting harder and harder with expansions shrinking to do both but I think both ways still have a part in the game.

I look at it this way. If they can make expansions appeal to the widest group of players possible then expansion sales will keep being decent and we will keep getting expansions.

The game cannot ignore players who want a lot of challenge nor can they ignore players who want less of a challenge. There has to be content for everyone. But that is just my opinion.

And btw I think those that want a challenge are NEEDED in the game as much as the more casual players are needed. You can't exclude either group without bringing EQ closer to a time when there will be no more expansions.
    Shanarias likes this.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

The game would die out faster if either of the populations were gone. It is really about doing enough to keep both groups happy. All about balancing a fine line where no one is completely satisfied but happy enough to keep subbing and buying expansions.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I agree a lot of folks think this way but I honestly believe competitive and less competitive folks (guess you could also say hard core versus casual) need to be kept happy. And I think both are needed for the game.

As to which group is larger its hard to say. Competitive raid guilds are easier to get numbers on. For the less competitive game it is harder as many are not in large guilds or anything other then personal port guilds. And competitive players in the group game are hard to quantify because it is not on a guild wide basis its individuals.

I agree with what you say though it would be nice to see numbers but in the end not sure it matters. We need both populations of the game to stay engaged and to keep playing even if one is a bit larger then the other.
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I agree with your post.

I just feel TBL should have been more balanced excluding GMM. TBL is an expansion sale and should stand on it's own to encourage expanson sales. GMM was a loot give away pinata for the 20th anniversary. If you exclude GMM TBL wasn't as well balanced as it could have been. Next year there won't be a GMM unless they have changed how things will happen going forward.

But to answer your question at the beginning you would be in the competitive group based upon what I posted... You can only group and be in the competitive group you can only raid and be in the competitive group you can do a mix of both and be in the competitive group. And even though some other posters try to make up stories about me being against that sort of game I am not. Over the 20 years I have played I have sometimes been very competitive and sometimes less so.

All I really want to get across is we need to try and keep both groups happy. I want to see new expansions continue as long as possible. If that means I irritate some of the forum trolls on the forums so be it.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Just to repeat again. THE COMPETITIVE PART OF EQ GAMEPLAY IS NEEDED AND IS A VALID AN RESPECTABLE WAY TO PLAY THE GAME. I HAVE NOTHING NEGATIVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT TYPE OF GAMEPLAY.

That being said we need to try and keep the very competitive and less competitive out there buying expansions and subbing to the game. This isn't fight club. It is okay to talk about this stuff.

We all lose out competitive and less competitive folks if they stop making expansions or close the game down. Let stop saying US versus them and try and keep the game balanced to appeal to as many players as possible.
    Spellfire likes this.
  9. Absor Developer

Good point. :p

A
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Smart...... alec. :)
    Elyssanda likes this.
  11. Kamor Lorekeeper

Sure, I'll bite.

Yep totally neutral. Dogwhistle and code the language however you want, you come off as hating players who don't share your play style. Follow up every divisive statement with "but we need them to keep EQ alive" all you want; it does not hide your intent.

Hell it's even encoded w/in your recruiting post.

What purpose does it serve to state that you use Rk 2 spells, other than to focus on the fact that your guild doesn't raid?

I certainly do not care how any other player spends their time in EQ, it's not my money, it's not my time. This is a community full of every type of player. Let them play their game, you play yours.
  12. Natal Augur

That is nonsense. The fact that most high plat time toons raid does not mean that they play specifically because of raids. They raid because raids are there as the end game content of a particular expansion. If there was high level group content instead of raids acting as that function they would do that instead.
  13. Allayna Augur

An awful lot of contradiction in there.
  14. Teylana Elder

That's beautiful! Made my night.
  15. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Ummm where? Seriously instead of just quoting a bunch of stuff and say contradictions explain what you mean tied the pieces together please.
  16. Allayna Augur

/sigh
    Flatchy likes this.
  17. Warpeace Augur

Did you really expect anything different?
    Allayna and kizant like this.
  18. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I am learning not to expect anything different. *sighs*
  19. Belexes ForumQuester

And so now is the time to end this thread with a thematic song.

Zurril likes this.
  20. Whulfgar Augur

Out of the 2 of us.. your the 1 making assumptions..

My side is backed up by what your trying to down play.

Fact most people who play eq play eq in raid format.. period.