Do not raise level cap

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tutankamen, Jun 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Where does a game like EverQuest and its loyal player base go from here? The game has suffered a bit as late, and the last expansion, The Burning Lands, was rather poorly received. Longdale said she was distracted with an 18-month project (she would not disclose what exactly) that took her attention away from the game and left someone less experienced in charge, but now she is back.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...range-20-year-trip-still-has-no-end-in-sight/
    Nennius and Sancus like this.
  2. Nennius Curmudgeon

Many thanks for the link.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  3. kizant Augur

It's a terrible article and you're miss-reading it. The author is stating that TBL has been poorly received. Then the next sentence is the author quoting Longdale about being away from the game. These two things have nothing to do with one another outside the author trying to connect the two things.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Not misreading it at all. The other says it has been poorly received and Holly makes excuses as to why it was poorly received. ie she throws whoever she delegated the job to under the bus. That is pretty much a statement acknowledging it was poorly received. It would be really strange for Holly to say what she did unprompted by the previous comment. You are really stretching for it here.

And the two statements very much have something to do with each other. If the author had misquoted it I don't think DBG would be linking to the article on their homepage.
  5. kizant Augur

It's not a misquote. It's simply not a quote at all. The way the article is written is just purposely confusing but if you read it closely you understand what it's saying. The author's opinion is that TBL hasn't been received well. Then the author shows a quote stating that a key person hadn't been around lately. Then the article continues quoting Holly about how well EQ has been doing recently.

And like you said, if that weren't the case, why would they link to the article? Why would someone like Holly say something so contradictory to what she's said previously and would be against her job responsibility? Both of those things are evidence that you're misinterpreting things and not the other way around.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

\
    The other mentioned TBL has not been well received and Holly gives him an excuse as to why. He didn't put together a statement from her that had nothing to do with the previous paragraph.

And no I didn't misinterpret anything. You are forcing a square block in a round hole here. Short of Holly coming out and saying she was completely misquoted there is no other way to interpret that paragraph.

Are you just trolling? I mean I am happy to continue the discussion either way but just wondering.
  7. Allayna Augur

As someone interviewed for that article, I can say that the tone of the author was that of discontent towards TBL and a lesser degree RoS.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I think it is also fair to note that DBG seems to be pretty taken with the article to have it as a link on their main page. I suspect if there was anything they really objected to it wouldn't be on the Everquest.com main page.

https://www.everquest.com/home

EVERQUESTS LONG STRANGE 20-YEAR TRIP STILL HAS NO END IN SIGHT.

I am hoping that DBG read the full article before posting it on their main page. So I feel safe in saying Holly agreed TBL wasn't up to what she wanted it to be. If I was running things and a connection was made that wasn't there I would ask for a correction in the article.
  9. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Holly never said any such thing. You are simply choosing to read what you want because you personally thought it was not good and was received poorly.

Also, there are just as many people who consider the existence of those workarounds that allow people to not do the content as things that are bad about the expansion.
  10. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

I agree with everyone who posted in this thread, level cap should not be raised.
  11. tyrantula Elder

My man Corwyhn, always jumping to conclusions about everyone else. Literally every thread.
  12. smash Augur

Except something like 50% disaggre and find it is a good idea to increase max level.
    Elyssanda and Kaenneth like this.
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

You are always saying things with no facts behind them. :)
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

LOL. Read the paragraph. This is almost as funny as the guy who said the only two sentences in the paragraph had nothing to do with each other. How you draw any other conclusion from this paragraph in an article DBG was so happy with that they posted a link on their own main page is ummm interesting.

Where does a game like EverQuest and its loyal player base go from here? The game has suffered a bit as late, and the last expansion, The Burning Lands, was rather poorly received. Longdale said she was distracted with an 18-month project (she would not disclose what exactly) that took her attention away from the game and left someone less experienced in charge, but now she is back.

Holly didn't respond with "well we actually have found that TBL has been received very well". No she gave excuses as to why TBL was not well received. Split hairs if you want but the facts are pretty clear. TBL was not well received and Holly made an excuse as to why.

And we will never know but I wonder if GMM would have been as much of a loot pinata for the anniversary as it was if TBL had been better received.
  15. Mazame Augur

"I suspect if there was anything they really objected to it wouldn't be on the Everquest.com main page."

And if they didn't have a link then it would of been link by some one on the forms saying they were trying to hide it. People can put a different spin on anything. you have 12 people watch a car cash you will get 12 different story on what happen.
  16. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I read it as poorly written and/or trying to push a point.

Also there are no quotation marks. Nothing is a direct quote, and only one part is 'paraphrased' based on something they claim Holly said.

If DBG fact checked every line, I'm sure it was close enough, for them to get some PR with.

I would re-write thus for clarification:

Where does a game like EverQuest and its loyal player base go from here ( as the game has suffered a bit as late, and the last expansion, The Burning Lands, was rather poorly received, in this writers opinion)?

Longdale said something to the effect that, she was distracted with an 18-month project (she would not disclose what exactly) that took her attention away from the game and left someone less experienced in charge, but now she is back.

I'm gonna guess if you got the chance to ask Holly directly she may very well dispute that TBL was poorly received. And then quickly pivot to, 'Why does that matter?'. 'Everything is sunshine and rainbows from here on out!'
  17. kizant Augur

The editor is to blame for allowing such a poorly written article but I suggest more people take an interest in writing and journalism. Stop trying to fill in the blanks with your own biases.
  18. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Many articles are linked in the forums and never linked on the everquest home page. It was not linked because they were worried people would think they were hiding it. You are welcome to think otherwise but the whole reason they linked it was because they were very happy with the article overall.

I can honestly tell you that they will never link an article they don't like because they are going to be accused of hiding it. First off because many articles have been posted and no one has accused them of that, secondly the articles get posted in the forums and discussed without the threads being locked.

Overall they liked the article and didn't find anything objectionable. That is why they posted it on their main page.
  19. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

So any time anyone at DBG says something we are going to assume its not true? You guys are really stretching on this one and I just don't understand why. TBL was poorly received by a lot of players. Not sure why that is such a hard pill to swallow.

Holly's producer letter said there was going to be a level increase. Maybe she was watching Beavis and Butthead when writing it, got distracted and it was supposed to say no level increase. Maybe they posted it to their main page without reading it.

Have to admit though it is fun watching people try to twist things into a pretzel just to fit their world view. :)
  20. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

No.

Judge every case on it's own merits.

The amount of words devoted to the writers opinion versus the amount of words used re-tell what Holly said (again in the writers own words), is a huge tip off that the writer is injecting opinion in there.

Most of the time you can take Dev remarks to the bank (IMO).

As far as PRoducers go at DBG, I've seen something happening that makes me slightly more skeptical.

For some years now (just before the sale and DBG name) they have been slowly laying off community relations and PR people. And as each one goes, the PRoducer of that game becomes more and more a PR rah-rah, and less of a visionary leader.

I don't doubt every word Holly says, I do temper the words with the knowledge that she has to tow a corporate line that devs don't. And she kind of has to be pro-DBG no matter what.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.