Two populations playing the same game

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Corwyhn Lionheart, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

1) How did the post divide the community?

2) How did my post say that competitive people are ruining the game? I actually think I said that the competitive part of the game is a valid and just as valuable as the casual/group game. Read the post before responding :)

3) The point is the devs have a hard time developing content that can please all parties.

4) Someone told me. It was Allayna the leader of MS. I am sure you can find it if you spend a bit of time looking.

Enjoy your trolling. :) But really.. .read the post first next time :)

I don't recall being reluctant to say people can play how they want but I did point out the difficulties for the Devs in balancing things for each group. That help Cap'n Troll :)
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Maybe you should point this out to the TLP players who want constant changes......just a thought!
  3. Kamor Lorekeeper

Oh I don't know... look at the post's title, you literally try to define separate groups of the EQ community. The very definition of division.

I'm not a frequent Forumquest poster, but I've been around and read many of your posts. At best you strongly dislike how certain members and players complete content that you find too difficult, it's a loose theme within many of your posts. Go ahead and gaslight, and pretend that is not the case.

I believe this to be true. The development team has a hard road, EQ has a community of varied skill, experience and gear.

Fair point, but I've personally found many of your posts to be fact free and mostly based upon your feelings. I'd be shocked to find a single data driven post (containing a parse).

Disagreeing with you doesn't make a person a troll. Mostly it's just sickening to see another thread by you that is complaint riddled drivel.
    Balthozzar likes this.
  4. tyrantula Elder

I also find Corwyhn's posts are usually complaining about raiders.
  5. AcemoneyFV Augur

I mean, doesn't EVERY game have two types of people: tryhards and casuals?
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  6. Aurastrider Augur

I for one am happy to see these types of threads pop up on a regular basis. Hopefully the net result will be the developers reading them and taking some of these comments seriously during the design phases of an expansion. I mean heck if McDonalds can throw some "healthy" selections on their menu to try and cater to this crowd DBG should be able to have a limited menu selection for us bottom feeders to enjoy.

Personally I see these posts less about pitting the elite crowd against the casuals and more about showing the developers that they have two very distinct groups of players (actually many more but for simplistic terms these are the two largest standard groups) and its important for them to include both into the game design if they want both groups money long term.
    Evatini and Bottle like this.
  7. Whulfgar Augur

With out raider's .. This game would have been cancelled long ago.

Having said that..

I would not mind a zone like GMM designed (with lower tier'ed grp gear) for those who want a more casual play.

The issue becomes when said casual population. Want the hardcore stats .. for the casual experience.. then try to cry foul .. when they get a casual exp.. with out hard core stats..
    Allayna and Leex like this.
  8. Bigstomp Augur

Frontier mountains
  9. Aurastrider Augur

Personally I could live without stats as a casual. Obviously I have to chase them to stay upright but I don't play so I can compete on some leaderboard some place. As long as said gear is sufficient enough to experience the content it drops in that's all I will ever ask for. Most of the truly casual players I have known over the years don't put to much thought into gear and the such. They just want to experience the game and if they get an upgrade along the way cool and if not its not the end of the world as long as they are enjoying the ride.
    Shanarias and Whulfgar like this.
  10. Leex Pewpewer

I'm competitive, and I really enjoy grouping.

What population am I?

I think we can all agree there are more than just two populations that play this game. I think the devs are doing a really good job at trying to give to everyone. There are a lot of different ways people enjoy this game, to expect the devs to get it right 100% on every level, is just not being realistic.

I think they are doing a much better job then they have in the past, regarding trying to keep a good balance. The evolving items have helped with this, it gives individuals who don't raid, a really nice carrot to chase, that's actually worthwhile. Additionally, giving raiders something to go spend their time pursuing as well.

There will always be area's/items that you can't get unless you're willing to commit the time, just like any game. Understand and accept that, don't think of it as a negative. Raid items aren't a need to have, they are a want to have.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I think if we are being realistically looking at 4 not 2 populations.
    Competitive Raiders (strive to be first to complete stuff)
    Competitive Groupers (strive to finish everything and gain level and AAs quickly)
    Casual Raiders (Don't see raiding as a job and show up when they can, possibly in a guild who gets some but not all raid content down when expansion is current)
    Casual Groupers (play a few hours a week)

Of course there is some overlaps and players who are somewhere inbetween.

Not all Competitive Groupers raid, but many will also be in a competitive raid guild. I have friends who do not raid, but complete everything in every expansion and are well group geared, AAed and Auged.
    Flatchy likes this.
  12. Flatchy Court Jester

Can I ask why you believe that?

On this forum I spect the majority are raiders. I myself think there are more groupers and casuals that play this game than raiders, you just dont see or hear them here.
  13. Lianeb Augur

I could plug myself into any one of those groups most days.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  14. Drayman Elder

There are few groups.

I like hard content if I can find a group to do it. Most new content can't be handled with three players and three mercs and that's the only kind of group that most casuals can put together.

That's the problem. The content isn't too hard, but the player base is not there.

At least on my server this seems to be the case.
  15. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

I have said this a million times in my day, a good company builds and expands the game to cater to both ends of the spectrum. One principle truth is ... 1) Casual / Non-competition people pay the bills and keep the lights on in San Diego. 2) Raider and Hardcore competitors drive the game to be bigger, better and reaching for the edge. Any company that keeps both sides happy, as SOE and now DBG's has done, will last 20+ years and longer with ease.
    Bottle and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  16. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Not true there more non raider than there are raiders. its just mostly raider's are on these forums.

Andarriel
    Graves likes this.
  17. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Its sort of funny please point out where in the post I actually complain about raiders. I describe the competitive game. I don't insult or say anything negative about it.
    Shanarias likes this.
  18. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

1) describing groups is not the same as being divisive. I respect both groups described and say that both groups are completely valid way to play the game. So what is the problem?

2) Show where I say I dislike how some people play the game. What I actually do is stand up for the part of game I like to play. There are MANY MANY posts of mine where I state that I am giving my opinion and that there is more then one way to play the game.

3) Yes that was what I was pointing out how hard it is for the devs to develop content to appeal to a wide section of the player base.

4) My posts are not fact free and a lot are based on my almost 20 years, without a break, of leading a large casual guild that has been very active since the day I started it in Dec 99. And as mentioned I frequently state when I am giving my opinion that it does not mean the opinions of others are not valid.

5) Disagreeing doesn't make you a troll you have every right to your own opinion. It is when you make up things that you become a troll. Little of what you have posted in this thread has been about the facts of my post.

"I think both groups are needed to keep Everquest going and the hardest job of all falls to the game devs trying to satisfy the gaming needs of both populations."

I get told I am whining. Where point to the sentence that is whining? Point to the sentence where I insult the raiding game? You guys make up all this stuff and hence are trolling. Or just ignorant I choose to give the benefit of the doubt and say you are trolling.
  19. shruggz Elder

here is my 2 cp,

I walked away a year ago or so, everquest had been a large part of my life for more than 15 years.

but from my vantage point it has evolved into a game that no longer suits my play style.
    I reached a point I could no longer progress.

and I was left with few options, none of them good from where I sit.
    learn to use 3rd party boxing software? nope. go back to trying to play 1 toon and living in pugs?
    nope. so I walked.

I can understand most viewpoints on this topic. I also understand that the game is going to go where its going to go. if it no longer has a place for me and players like me, then that is the way it is.

I check in once in while on the forums to see if anything has changed. but I don't have high hopes.
    gmm almost brought me back, but its one zone and that is not going to be enough to get me over my hurdles.

I would like to see a place for everyone here, I think that's where the best bottom line would be
    that means more money for the game. but its not up to me.

as someone who has invested as much time as I have (I know others been here longer)
    I have every right to my opinion and no else need like it. and that's ok.

best of luck norrath, good hunting.
  20. Whulfgar Augur

Bertox. Bristlebane. Cazic. Povar. Luclin. Xegony. Rathe.

All servers I've been on. And some of the casuals yall talking about are in fact boxes of or alts there of.. the raid folks.

Seven servers I've played on. Or currently play on right now. Where the raid population drives the whole server.

Again I've not in many years now meet a true casual player that's not a box or alt of a raider on any of those serv era I named.

This as well as the fact that with out raiders.. the game would have folded long ago. The fact that raiding is the primary reason being eq is alive today should speak for itself.

All content is literally created around a raid level warrior in sword an board s th ance has been the fact of the matter since they said at least place es of power.. not only validates this but how many games are out on the market right now that have no raiding feature ?

No game in the world today can please its entire audience.. inevitably they gone tick some 1 here or there off.. that's a fact.

It then comes down to a realistic look of how much do you like this game until the changes they put in push you past your ever living limit and quit and post here with a new account hollering your taking your 150 accounts and canceling them all.. and eq is dead.. has been forever.. yet here we are.