Why Are Krono So Expensive on Mangler?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Korzu111, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Korzu111 Elder

I’ve played on 4 other TLPs and none of them were anywhere close to this. Most krono would go for maybe 7KPP max by this point in Kunark. Additionally, so many items are very cheap — I remember selling a Tobrin’s for 10 KR in Velious before... and it’s only 3? right now?
  2. Geoff Journeyman

3. TLP Addict Augur

4. Xeris Augur

1) way more plat in system because of people farming 24/7.

2) way more items in circulation because people are farming more.

On mangler right now there's about 5-6 picks of seb open at all times and 5 of them have 6 box crews farming King nonstop... and the 6th pick has been me for awhile. On Agnarr I never saw stuff camped that aggressively. Also, on Agnarr only one guild was really running split raids at this time, here on Mangler it seems like there are 4-5 guilds that are/were splitting raid targets and some are doing 3 splits or more, so there seems to be substantially more loot on the market.

All this stuff is driving item prices down and kr prices up. Problem solved.
  5. HoodenShuklak Augur

Trickle down economics.
  6. Aegir Augur

Alot of people that didn't made it far on the other TLP's are playing on Mangler. They know what items are valuable throughout the next 2 expansions, and with focus effects disabled, makes the list of what to get in Classic/Kunark very small.

From the old EQ universe there's also a big change. Majority were Casual players never raiding.

On the New TLP's the vibe is; you can't play here unless you are in a raiding guild + with AoC's, you're basically guaranteed your old dream classic class set-up. So back from where dropable items were godly in EC Tunnel throughout Classic, Kunark and Veliuous - they are mostly Alt Bait for most of the buyers.

Another thing is the current difficulty of Group Gameplay in EQ during TLP Classic. You Don't need this High End Gear to gain levels.

So, if you can find one to sell his Krono for Your hard earned Platinum during Classic Kunark on Mangler, then it's a good deal!
  7. Frags Journeyman

The bots that went unchecked farming in HG 24/7 and flooded the server with plat didn't help.
  8. Moranis Augur

A lot of it, I believe, has to do with the combination of a couple things:

1. Lots of unattended gameplay farming ice giants and hill giants introduced a -ton- of liquid plat into the server into the hands of a couple people who probably knew how to manipulate the krono market.
    2. More people understand EQnomics now. Basically, in that you need to buy Krono to hedge your plat against inflation - many people will happily pay 2-3% over market price just because they know that the krono will be worth more than what they paid in just a few days. You're basically losing 100 plat per day by not spending it on krono.
    3. The amount of high-value camp farming is insane, which is causing prices of gear to drop to nearly nothing. At any given time, there are A DOZEN people in CL selling Hiero Cloaks / Fungi Tunics / Fungi Sticks.
    4. Raid gear is relatively cheap because guilds are split raiding (with 40-45) everything due to Kunark dragons being insanely easy (and fast) to kill.
    5. Lastly, I think there are just more people that play more. There are many people in my guild that literally play 8-12 hours a day - for whatever reason they might have. The number of people I know who have half a dozen alts, all fully decked out in planar armor, with archaeology items, and many with epics is staggering.
  9. taliefer Augur

the auto farming that was left unchecked for so long, as others have said, introduced a ton of plat.

and, frankly, (and the biggest reason imo) Mangler just has many more people on it than other TLPs, more even than phinigel during its prime.

I actually really like the economy on mangler, items are pretty affordable, and krono are pricey enough that its worth considering whether to buy a krono, or a few items instead.

on other servers krono were so dirt cheap it was silly.
  10. code-zero Augur

It's really simple, there are not enough people buying Krono from DBG for trade and resell. Scarcity is driving the market and there's no way to farm enough platinum or items to induce anyone to go do that.

I'm sure that there are plenty of people who have a glut of Krono on accounts but they have no motive to try and sell them for in game stuff that they don't need.

At some point the box crews are going to run out of Krono to keep the crews subscribed.

At some point in the recent past there was in fact a Krono glut that resulted in many calls for DBG to allow Krono to be converted to Daybreak Cash which DBG would be incredibly stupid to even consider. Those calls have all but disappeared now with a Krono shortage
  11. Torqe New Member

I'd also like to add that the removal of focus effects turned the desired loot tables on it's head compared to previous TLPs.
    code-zero and Fluid like this.
  12. Fluid Augur

In spades! On other incarnations you could self twink with low level focus items and build a character that was functional. On Mangler you pretty much have to buy high end farmed gear to get the same level of functionality. The rich get richer while the poor get poorer.
  13. Zinkeh Augur

A lot of it is how long the botter army players were allowed to farm liquid plat.
    A lot of it in the last 2 weeks has been folks sacrificing some plat on one char and buying at a new rate to drive the prices up and then sell their own krono on another char at that higher price, cementing the price in.

The price of an item in plat doesn't even directly relate to the price of a krono, which is even more bizarre.

Krono on Coirnav in early/mid velious was like 9k-9200.
    Krono has gone from 9k last week to almost 12k this morning and we're barely halfway into Kunark. Imagine where this will be come velious and on.
  14. Drakkal Elder

Short answer....boxing

Slightly longer answer.....boxing, seriously, whether you are pro boxing or not, this is the primary reason the economy is so jacked up. Way more people boxing then before, means more farming, means more items for sale, means more plat circulating, means boxing farmers willing to pay more for krono.....so they can keep boxing.

.....and some people think removing truebox is a good idea.......We already have enough people cheating their way around the software, we don't need to make it legal so everyone starts VMing their way to the top. Seriously, I know of at least one guy and his friend that are already duoing Naggy/Vox/Royals, partially with individual machines, but a good 2/3 of their force is from game streaming VMs. Whatever your means of doing it, boxing is the bane of EQ.
  15. birdsong_pawn Augur

Let's not conflate boxing and botting.

I realize Manger is a truebox server, but boxing in general is good for the game because it encourages EQ players to pay for multiple gold accounts.

Botting (automated afk box groups) are currently a huge problem in EQ, and it continues to get worse every day. This should have been nipped in the bud immediately, but it was not. Now the word is out the people can cheat in EQ with impunity, and so DBG has some hard decisions to make.
  16. Drakkal Elder

I am fully aware of the differences between boxing and botting. Boxing may be good for the financial statements, but it is NOT good for game play, these are two completely different subjects.

You are doing the same thing that many people keep trying to do here on the forums, pretend that "BOXERS" are not part of the problem, they definitely are, not all, but a lot of them are. The game and its economy were based on what one person could do on one account at a given time, whether it be in a raid, group or solo it is still based on one player playing one character.

Any time you can trivialize this by 2x/3x/4x your ability to destroy content you are skewing how the game play was intended. Combine the ability to literally roll your own group with the ability to have multiple instances to pick from, you have a problem with a flood of currency and items into the game.

Now its even worse because more and more semi socially dis-functional people have realized that in the MMO, they no longer need other people and sure as don't need to act like a decent human being anymore. More and more people have figured this out and have all but abandoned the idea of trying to work with each other or take down content as it was intended.

What does this rant have to do with the original post? Everything. More people running more accounts at the same time, allowing them to kill more efficiently, is destroying the economy. "BOXING" is the bane of Everquest, not botting. Botting is bad, no doubt, but people abusing boxing is way more common.
  17. code-zero Augur

Give it up, boxing started as soon as someone with two computers figured out that he could set them side by side and run 2 characters. Norrath was ranked as a world economy as larger than Belarus back in the early 2000 strictly from the amount of virtual items traded on eBay at the time.

I had an acquaintance who made a lot of money 6 boxing using a T1 line at his university. He had a folding table with 6 computers lined up using KVM switches. I think the latency at the time worked in his favor for using hardware solutions.

The current situation on True Box is almost exactly the same as it was back then. At that time there were constant server splits in order to keep the load down. Now you have picks and AoC to deal with it.

Welcome back to 1999!
  18. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Welcome to EQ TLP Economics:
    • The amount of sellers vs buyers as an aggregate on Mangler is staggering hence driving item prices down quickly. I think it's personally great for krono holders or future krono buyers.
    • The amount of buyers for krono on mangler is going up daily and has for the last 2 weeks driving prices upwards.
    • Boxers don't account for the majority of the plat coming into the economy.
      • The sheer volume of players on mangler is pumping a lot of plat into the economy.
    • Some traders are selling and re-buying at low margins to pump values higher. Makes sense as the price climbs those sitting on krono piles gain extra buying volume.
      • When volume is sub 85ish krono up for sale in a given day demand outstrips supply.
    • Some farmers are buying krono in larger lots from traders with tons of krono for higher prices for less time searching for krono that don't exist, in return those traders are buying all the open advertised krono at a premium.
    Most people aren't as dumb as the 1st TLPs they understand now pricing drops like a rock in the 1st few weeks and buy more with a single krono.

Most people understand now that buying krono up is a good value against plat inflation.

Most people understand now that high end items are useless value most of the time and aren't buying until it hits that 1kr or less.

It's a buyers economy... fun times.
  19. Drifter New Member

Most of the crap about there being more availability of items is off I think. Sure supply is part of it, but I really just don't see any demand. Loss of focus effects made a lot of gear kinda meh. Kunark gear really isn't that great other than a couple of items. Multiple raid instances has everyone geared with what they need.

Krono should see more action come Velious. People will be selling drop items from dragons once their own guilds are geared.

Part of the plat issue with krono is that, just two days ago, I counted 3 bot groups per instance in 3 different instances of Sebilis. Note I say bot and not box. You could watch them and how they moved. The jerky way they turned in place. Always ran back to the same locations. Once, a frog went behind something and the puller freaked out and kept moving in circles.
  20. Drakkal Elder

Nothing to give up here, you make comments like this and you just sound . Anyone who was around in 99, knows boxing occurred, but they also know it was pretty rare. To even attempt to say current TLP True Box is anything like it was in 99 is flat .

I'm not saying get rid of boxing, I'm not even saying I don't box to some extent. But I am saying your ugly baby is in fact ugly, boxing does have an negative effect on the economy.

Boxing doesn't have to account the majority of the currency coming into the game, its the reality that for their play time, they hyper-inflate what they would otherwise bring in. The amount they can amass in the same amount of time that a single player can is much higher, pretty simple to understand.