Offline Guild Invites

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Aghinem, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Aghinem Augur

Greetings Everyone -

Its been a minute since I have made any posts on here and I wasn't certain if this section of the forum is still reviewed by the devs for ideas to implement into the game. If so - I did come up with an idea that would benefit everyone in terms of guild management.

Offline Guild Inviting

The premise and function is quite simple. If a person applies to join any certain guild and they are approved, the inviting officer (of whom has proper guild permissions) may issue a guild invite to the targeted player - no different than if they were online:

/guildinvite <playername>

However - if the player is offline, it will pop up a window with an option to extend an offline invite with the option of yes or no. If the officer chooses yes, a pop up window will go into the player event queue when they login extending the invite - showing the name of the officer and the guild they represent extending the invite. The player has the option to say yes or no - furthermore, the option would exist in the game options to not accept offline invites to prevent any type of invite spam or other issues.

Thoughts on this?
  2. Smokezz The Bane Crew

I'd settle for cross zone guild invites. Right now you still need to be in the same zone, for whatever reason.
    Yinla, Corwyhn Lionheart and Axxius like this.
  3. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

A waste of developers time and effort.

If the premise is because you need to invite toons to your personal guild on the same account, it takes 5 minutes to create a ftp account, log it in, invite that toon to guild and give senior officer status, and then switch to the toon you want in guild to get guilded.

If the premise is because you are losing people who might apply to your guild since an officer isn't online … be online more or have more officers.
  4. Axxius Augur

If the applicant can't be bothered to log on when the officers are online, or the officers are never online - what's the point?

The only practical use I see for this feature is to invite your alts to your own private guild. But that's too niche for the devs to spend time on, IMO.
  5. Allayna Augur

Or some sending guild invites to every non-tagged on the server.
  6. Aghinem Augur

Why the hostility? Did you even read the entirety of my post or just the subject? Just asking since your response contained elements that had nothing to do with the premise of the idea - just passive aggressive vitriol; as is expected I guess from these forums. Clearly nothing has changed in 2 years I have been away.

A) I'm ambivalent either way since I have been relatively inactive since ROK.
    B) You clearly do not know anything about KOI - as it has been a mainstream guild for the last several years on FV. Maybe sometime - I'll screenshot our pending application queue for you.

The premise as I originally stated was for the sake of convenience on both ends of the spectrum and to make guild inviting more mainstream. I even included the suggestion of a box to disallow offline invites to prevent invite abuse. I liken your argument to that of someone trying to build a combustible engine - and you would state, "if its not fast enough - add more water for hotter steam".

On a final note - I do find it quite amusing of how some are suggesting its not worth the devs time as if ever any subscriber has any power over the time and money of a developer. It actually is something that would be ~very~ easy to code and implement. Oh well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Later!
  7. Beimeith Lord of the Game

You don't actually know that. This is EQ.
    Scornfire, Axxius, Reht and 3 others like this.
  8. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

because there are people left to invite in this game..
  9. Smokezz The Bane Crew

They haven't even made it so you can invite people to your guild when you're in a different zone. Why would THIS be easy, if cross zone invites haven't been done?
  10. Astral64 Augur

Hi Beimeith.
  11. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Responding to your inquiry without agreeing to what you claim is not hostility. I am concerned you might be a workplace incident waiting to happen if you thought what I said was hostile.

For the record, yes I read your entire post. The one that had zero use cases to support why this was needed. I supplied two that I thought might be driving your post, with simple alternatives to use to alleviate the issues...

...who could have known that your post was just an idea from the "goodness of your heart" and wasn't actually meant to solve an issue you have had?

Others have brought up the absurdity of your idea being a simple implementation when the developers have never been able to implement guild invite across zones. I get the sense you are a programmer/consultant type … maybe who has never had a bad idea and if people would just listen and implement all your ideas, the world would work better?

You've never been an officer in a large guild, have you? I have and I can tell you that guild notes are essential when inviting new toons/alts to the guild to tag the toon properly for other officers/leader to know what is going on. What happens for those with your idea? Guild notes written after the fact … generally never get written.

Your final note is incorrect as well. The boards shape a great deal of how developer time is spent (especially since /feedback is gone and the third party sort of affiliate request tracker website is sometimes down). Poor ideas should be responded to immediately and strongly so that time is not even spent considering the suggestion.

You're welcome.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  12. Scorrpio Augur

The whole point of being in a guild is to facilitate getting together with people who are on at the same time. And officers are typically the most active guild members. If a player has no online intersect with most active guild members, what is the point of joining?

Even in casual guilds, joining implies a certain level of commitment. If applicant and officer can't arrange being in same time/zone, it should raise strong doubts about applicant and guild fitting each other.

In dev's place, I would be against such feature even if it were exceedingly trivial to implement.
  13. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Hi Astral.
  14. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

No to off line invites.
    Yes to across zone invites.
    Axxius and Elyssanda like this.
  15. smash Augur

Why should they waste their resources on this. If the player you want in your guild cannot take the time to be on when you on, why then have person in guild.

This feels more like you wanna have one of your alts in your guild but cannot because on same account
  16. CrazyLarth Augur

make a Free to play toon use it to invite your alts on the same acct.
  17. smash Augur

They should not spend any resources on making it, second which is more important, they would lose income, and they do have to draw a line in the sand saying, you get the basic game, but you do NOT get rest.

You have to subscribe to get the things.

This is just like any other game that got same type of thins, you get basic, but have to pay to get more.