Procs vs. White Damage - BSTs/Rangers/Bards

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tierdal, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Tierdal Augur

Curious if there are any resources on which is the superior way to go.

For instance, eqitems.com puts Etheral Destroyer as the 3rd best BST weapon for GOD only beaten by the BST only wep and the Baton w/ the same proc (and better proc ratio).

Does this actually hold through? Is an ED going to parse better for a BST than say a Deaths Head Mace or Annihilation fists?

So much has changed in the background math its hard to now how to gear on weps.
  2. DeseanJackson Augur

I don’t believe this holds up anymore. Ideally, you’d get the BST only item from Tacvi and a Quarm hammer (assuming you’re on Selo and have the pet buff focus).
  3. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

White damage should be king until you get a lot of the proc increase and crit AA.
  4. Tierdal Augur

why quarm hamer when there are better ratio in GoD?

GOD is the expansion that gives wep affinity (proc increase)
  5. Tierdal Augur

bah no edit function - does pet power work on swarm pets?
  6. DeseanJackson Augur

Yes, it does indeed.
  7. Tierdal Augur

thats a cool touch
  8. HoodenShuklak Augur

You can't easily compared BST/BRD to other classes. Those 2 classes don't get double attack so that changes everything.

From my actual parsing, the ED, Quarm hammer, and Songblade were all negligibly similar DPS. That will change after Gates AA which further improve proc dps. But then at level 71 you'll get double attack, and that will swing the pendulum the other way. Where is the break even point? I'm not sure.

As a bard, it boiled down to this for me: you're better off getting the best weapon given the focus you need. As a BST, I'd probably throw some extra weight into pet procs since they can improve that with AA eventually.

Ultimately, you'll probably have to run your own parses to see what the reality is. There is a lot of fake news and hearsay today, just as there was back in '99.
  9. Tierdal Augur

wow quarm hammr MH was equal to ED? thats interesting.

In Gates what would the bst only wep offhand, baton with 750dd proc main hand be the best setup then?
  10. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

It's a hard question to answer because white dmg and procs scale differently with gear/buffs/AAs ect. on top of that your main hand has double the proc rate, on top of that your main had has a damage bouns that doesn't scale like the rest of your melee DPS. then on top of that main hand can flurry/triple attack then on top of that certain mob types in GoD take bonus or half damage from certain weapon types even further confuse the issue. The only real way too know for sure is to parse your toon with the exact same typical raid/group/solo buffs.

Anyways ED has a proc of 750 with a normal proc rate of 1. Max CE and WA in GoD puts the proc rate to 2.5 or 5 times a minute main hand 2.5 times a minute off hand. 5x750=3750DPM or 62.5 DPS for the main hand and 2.5x750=1875 DPM or 31.25 DPS offhand

Does the decrease in ratio make up for the lack of the proc? My guess without parsing is that it does for Bst/Bard in the main hand but not the offhand, but doesn't for Ranger because Rangers get double/triple attack.

If i had to take a guess in the dark the Zun proc weapon would be a better offhand for Bst then the Fistwraps from Cyno for BST, it might even be better then the beast only weapon main hand

For bards you should stop trolling and get your song mods

For Rangers i found the pet proc aug from GoD to be greater DPS then the 1hs aug from Tunat for Rangers in main hand only. Then in OoW this was no longer the case the extra crit bonus dmg AA, fero, cleave ect caused the regular DMG aug to outscale the proc aug.

The best weapons for Ranger in GoD are in order. Tacvi class only sword>Death's head mace>Goat sword>other elf shoe>Timespinner.
    Also, let the warriors get Death's Head mace if they want it
  11. Tierdal Augur

I believe ED is .75 , zun proc is same proc but proc of 1.

You would put zun proc baton in oh vs mh?
  12. Boze TLP complaint factory

The boomsticks can for sure beat weapon damage on TLP, but only consistently for Bard/Beast. In DoDH for example, the boomstick from demiplane ( 26/22, lure of ice 882dd proc) beat beast 2.5 (40/23) in parses for mainhand no problem. The difference was thin, mind you, but it was consistent.

Another good example is the pet proc aug from LDoN. From my own parsing it beat damage augs (ranging from 2 to 4 damage) in every era and even on raids with good adps until SoD.

Your last line is the key to it though. Some dude making up numbers isn't going to help you. For example, I'm going to present some poorly informative way-too-short parses. I still have my ED, and here's some bad comparisons at level 90 to misinform you.

ED unauged (16/22)
    Boze -vs- Combat Dummy Azia: -- DMG: 305505 -- DPS: 1011 -- Scaled: 1011 -- Crush: 153095 -- DirDmg: 152410 -- % dmg as normal: 50.2% -- % dmg as critical: 49.8% -- Non-crit rate: 79.2% -- crit rate: 20.8% -- Attempts: 724 -- Hits: 566 -- Missed: 158 -- Accuracy: 78.2% -- Avg Hit: 539 -- Max hit: 6000 -- DMG to PC: 0

Bst 2.5, no augs, 40/23
    /tell Boze Boze -vs- Combat Dummy Azia: -- DMG: 404163 -- DPS: 1333 -- Scaled: 1333 -- Crush: 350271 -- DirDmg: 53892 -- % dmg as normal: 56.5% -- % dmg as critical: 43.5% -- Non-crit rate: 77.9% -- crit rate: 22.1% -- Attempts: 685 -- Hits: 547 -- Missed: 138 -- Accuracy: 79.9% -- Avg Hit: 738 -- Max hit: 6000 -- DMG to PC: 0

ED with an 8dmg aug in it, so 24/22.
    /tell Boze Boze -vs- Combat Dummy Azia: -- DMG: 379007 -- DPS: 1191 -- Scaled: 1191 -- Crush: 234615 -- DirDmg: 144392 -- % dmg as normal: 54.7% -- % dmg as critical: 45.3% -- Non-crit rate: 78% -- crit rate: 22% -- Attempts: 751 -- Hits: 599 -- Missed: 152 -- Accuracy: 79.8% -- Avg Hit: 632 -- Max hit: 6000 -- DMG to PC: 0

Besides it being fun to see Time Lapse crits land for 5.5k now, even at level 90 where I have a ~65% chance to double and triple attack you're still seeing the proc from a boomstick weapon cover a significant weapon ratio gap. Boomsticks are 100% totally viable for bard/bst. In-era, without my mudflated parses, boomsticks typically parse close to whatever the best ratio weapon is in my experience. If I were to go back through another TLP on a Beast I'd 100% target every single boomstick and pet proc on the way. The only negative to boomsticks is they draw a lot more agro. With MotM they will get you killed. Without it, they will get you killed.

The most important factor though: weird procs and toy weapons are way more fun. Who gives a if an ED parses 10dps behind a shinai? You can have a weapon that makes pets (Quarm hammer) and put another things that makes more pets in it (LDoN aug)?! Hell yeah.
  13. Baldur Augur

Once bards get Jonthan's in TBS it's not even close for them, proc augs and high damage proc weapons are the way to go.

But definitely invest in the pet proc augs from ldon raid as a bst/brd, you use them for a very very long time.
  14. Roxas MM Augur

i own and used both the DoD boomstick and the TSS boomstick. in offhand mostly, since an unlucky proc or 2 from mainhand would make me tank really fast. If i had the choice i'd go for white damage over procs every time. But then, we were cursed for weapons in those era, so i was happy to get an in era weapon for starters.
  15. Bewts Augur

Speaking for Ranger in PoR:

I found weapon damage to be superior in all cases over proc damage. This is mostly due to issues controlling aggro as I entered PoR with proc augments and easily snapped aggro from multiple encounters and experienced / geared tanks. The combination of weapon procs + short term procs + Bard song procs + self buff procs simply concentrated aggro potential dramatically that I held my breath every time I cast a nuke hoping I wasn’t high enough on aggro for a crit to pull it. Once I swapped to lifetap augments and damage augments, both my parse went up and my aggro pulling went down.

Admittedly, part of the change was re-prioritizing casting to always use HoA on refresh over cycling the fast cast nukes first (spread out of course).

On the all, procs add volatility in DPS / aggro that’s much more difficult to manage and control for a high aggro class like ranger with garbage aggro dump spells. Using damage mods tends to smooth that out to allow you to chain nukes with impunity, engage immediately and squeeze the most dps possible to make poorly played monks and rogues look bad.

As for the boom sticks, as a ranger I simply avoided them because two 3-5k crits in a short time period early on and dying from aggro was something I was not willing to live up to as a RANJA DOWN call and the lolz again comments following my death.

I don’t have the “math” and parses to support my anecdotal musings, but that’s how our BiS rangers play and they parse top 5 routinely.