Clicky item upgrade - overdue...Wizard dps....yeah yeah another rant go go haters

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fortunbas, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Fortunbas Lorekeeper

Whilst we all appreciate the typical clicky updates by expansion there are two things that have not factored very well over the last few years....

1) Wizard nukes and dps - wizards in group with enc and no bard are 10 million behind zerker/rogue on a dynamic eat your heart out dps fest. yes some of us like that part of the game. (dynamic is no macro casting - changing mobs, mez for cc, strict MA assist and minus 10m for breaking mez.)

For example the 33 trash mobs before Interminable Lightness of Being on Stratos:Zephyrs fight Fight Fire raid. Try it and see. Most classes cant even get a nuke out before mob is dead. Wizard is one of the few casting classes that can and should compete but we are 4th in line after zerker and rogue......10 million in some cases....please look, at least, letting our fusion proc more often ...at least it kind of crits now ...thanks but we need to factor in base dmg for raid only nukes (special rk IV) - so as not to dmg the group game (Cant be used out of instance and 32 person raid etc).

Our highest fire Ethereal Skyblaze rk3 base 33330 from Darkened Sea expansion and ROS Ethereal Skyfire 40421 base is just over 21% increase and just doesn't cut it for competition. We have to use instant casting to compete which is expected for our class in that situation.....compared to the massive boost for zerkers and rogues got over the past few expansions. Mage has a kind of raid only nuke - required more than 15 pets - trivial on a raid mob - Volley of Many rkIII and does 46650 dmg at a cost of 2234 mana.....
    Yes its a 9 sec recast compared to wizards 5.5 but its a moot point on combo chain casting and yes the wizards instant magic and wildfire - together with our two big ethereals puts us ahead of mage on dynamic dps fest but its far behind everything else which is the majority of today's game.....

As usual the main whine is about the huge difference between top dps parses and zerkers, rogue, monk, mage and wizard on single target chain casting mobs. Fine wizards have not been top of dps parses for a few expansions (2+ years?) now but to be 10 million behind on a dynamic 195 second dps fest is just crazy. I suggest that if we address this shortfall as a KPI the rest of the game - at least for wizards will fall into shape...look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves.

2) Item clicky's
    Expanding mind XVII 2200 mana.......
    [IMG]

Ethereal Skyfire RKIII 2949-4960 base 6196 mana

[IMG]

Item clicky is less mana than one nuke.....

[IMG]

This parse we didn't have any mages - both on holiday - prolly the reason we finally beat Mera.....darn trinkleteers....not that mage competes on this level of dynamic dps fest but they beat us on almost everything else...

[IMG]
    Coagagin likes this.
  2. Sancus Augur

I'm so confused.

You burned on the trash? Even though they're timed waves where you have to sit around for at least 30 seconds in between each one? But you also didn't (apparently) receive any ADPS when burning, not even Auspice? And didn't utilize Beam at all? And you didn't use Fury of the Gods, or a Glyph, or AD/FD (despite not having Auspice)? And you couldn't swap targets early to avoid casting Wildflash Strike 5 times, partially during ITC?

There's an underlying truth about Wizard DPS (at least to an extent), but that is a weird cast parse to use for a class balance discussion.
    Travestii, Whulfgar, Beimeith and 6 others like this.
  3. Brohg Augur

Happy to have those buff clickies go away forever. They were weird from the beginning since items already add those same raw stats.
    Fortunbas likes this.
  4. Flatchy Court Jester

Somebody has to be last.
  5. Ditka Journeyman

First time I've ever heard the term, Dynamic DPS Fest... so confused.
  6. Ezbro Elder

Please let it not be the purest dps classes :)
  7. Fortunbas Lorekeeper

Yup your analysis is sound but that's because you don't have all the info - not your fault.....yes Glyph destruction and all wizard focus was triggered before parse started. Auspice would hit zerkers and rog too so not fussed. no bard in group so it was not highest possible dps I guess but having only three bards in guild - they will go to melee groups instead of silk. This is a dynamic dps fest not a single target burn - the competition is over all mobs but for a select few we take the first 33 mobs as the dynamic dps fest because of mez and mez breaks so obviously no beam allowed so I understand your confusion - makes sense. Only MT line is allowed to break mez without a penalty. I factor in the penalty afterwards but zerkers and rogues don't usually screw that up......rangers and paladins more often. Yes burning on trash is the only way wizard can compete - named mobs we have no chance at all - its simply not a competition - at least not like the old days ~ 20 years ago. As for the named mobs zerker rogue and monk continue to shine - wizard tapers off after initial burn and cannot compete. If the initial burn was a choice between sustained or fast burn it might make sense but we cant compete on either level so we do the job as best as possible and it all counts but yes definitely things have changed and not for the better. We have two active wizards so alliance spells are tricky and can only effectively be used on twincast casts and procs with audio triggers. So why would folks want to play wizard class in a high end guild? to Teleport and Translocate of course :) We should be happy, at least we got it better than the trinkleteers....they are just mostly wanted for their huge rods.......
  8. Daedly Augur

When low hp mobs are getting killed quickly it is very likely going to favor melee, especially when you can only focus on one at a time. It a difference between people who have cast times and people that don't. Combined with less than optimal support and any other factors like skill or gear.

What do you mean by dynamic DPS though? Is that just a reference to that it isn't a single mob?
  9. chronicler Augur

Gotta say that you do your guild a disfavor by burning on trash mobs, which is what I call those b4 named.
  10. Fortunbas Lorekeeper

Yup Agreed Daedly except we have been doing this for a long, long, long time. Wizards have never been so far behind and for many years we were untouchable at this sort of competition. I dont give a %^$p about losing - done that for over two/three years now, but I do care about how much and its too much in such a short time. Sure, perhaps its not in the game design now and things change.

I think folks should know.....if you want to play a wizard, play to port and do mediocre dps. Its one of the few classes that can do elemental and magic dps. Fast damage used to be the essence of the class - no longer important and I would argue that the statement is no longer true.

This from https://strategywiki.org/wiki/EverQuest/Character_classes/Wizard#top
    "The wizard's forte is doing massive amounts of damage in a short time".....compared to?
    This was once true but now there are at least three other classes before wizard....hardly a reason to use forte.

Forte.......noun

1. 1.
      a thing at which someone excels.
      "small talk was not his forte"
    Travestii and Coagagin like this.
  11. Natal Augur

They take longer than casting time to die. And if your raid really is doing that much damage, then nuke/dot the mobs that are being OTed.

You are only useless if you choose to be.
  12. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

Not every event is going to be optimal for every class. You want better FF trash burns? Change the raid's strategy. Flash tank the waves where they spawn, mez the flares and bring the rest to banner, you can AE now. Stuff dying too fast for casters? have 2nd MA for casters focusing on mobs separate from the 1st MA

Also,
    Ugh man, come on
    Raccoo and Fortunbas like this.
  13. Fortunbas Lorekeeper

Yeah and I would agree if we were not in serious farm mode. Achievements been done...nothing more except muhbis. Cant remember if we were server first on this or maybe it was fire - General Reparm.

In any case to stretch out the monotony we get to mess around a bit for fun - I think for weeks only one raid flag dropped - think they have upped that to 2 and even three now but yes for weeks - maybe even months it was farm, farm, and then farm some more. Forgive me if I don't agree in this particular situation - I would agree in every other one of course. My burn at the right time as a wizard hardly counts at all - that is the point.

Collectively, yes absolutely, every bit counts which is one of the reasons we raid right? Its a team thing, so why are we so fussed about parse and comparison? We are fussed. We do care. Everything is counted and those falling short are helped to better themselves. What do you do when the only way to better your parse on a single mob is to load up some autocasting BS? Is that competing? a macro autocasting software cannot compete with a dynamic DPS fest and that for some of us sad gits....IS fun :)
  14. Fortunbas Lorekeeper

Hell, I like that - see if I can convince Mike to give it a go - might be a nice challenge :) for fun - cant stand a chance at winning that dps because our aoe crits been nerfed ages ago and we cant compete with Zerker on that level.
  15. Skalde Elder

I thought wizards were only parsing low because of the high resists and fire resists this xpac?
  16. Brohg Augur

no.
  17. Duder Augur

Someone had mentioned it and is right on the nose, you cant excel at every single event. They are different and are to be handled different. Burning on trash to *pad* your numbers is an absolute disservice to your raid, especially if they have the dps you say.

So summarizing - You want all other classes nerfed to make you look good. Because we know they wont just up a class because some one cries, they usually do it the other way around if at all. (Tank belt is a great recent example)

Also, don't forget that casters typically become far more powerful on lvl increase xpacs, which we haven't had for 2 xpacs…

In my opinion, this post is pathetic at best.
  18. Brohg Augur

Prima facie, a fine historical generalization, but as it wasn't substantially reinforced those 2 "xpacs" ago, and manifested as a very different internal progression in the to-90, to-95, and to-100 chain expansions, hardly a slam-dunk class balance argument in 2019.
    Travestii, Renotaki and Sancus like this.
  19. Duder Augur

So, because wizards haven't been on top then there is a problem? Because a rogue isn't a pure dps class? A zerker? What makes wizard more special than other classes? I think the argument is moot. Melee vs. Caster... it seems frivolous.
  20. Brohg Augur

Your specific argument doesn't support the position you've taken. If you feel like your position is invalid because of that, then you should reevaluate it.