Why do people pay for stuff on TLP servers?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by JeffHanson, Jun 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurastrider Augur

If someone can afford something and they want it they will buy it. For these individuals time literally is money and doing the math it just doesn't add up to spend x amount of hours to accomplish y or obtain item z in EQ when they could spend that time making money. With said money they will spend it on EQ and probably have extra in their pockets after its said and done compared to spending the time accomplishing these things in game.

Maybe they don't enjoy the early levels or dps racing high value items or the grind part of the game or what ever it may be. One thing for certain is complaining and telling these people to not spend money will do no good. Its their money to burn and they will do with it as they please despite anyone's objection.

Can you imagine if these people with limited playing time but lots of money started making threads telling players to limit their playing time to x amount of hours per day/week. I am fairly certain nobody would listen to them just like they aren't going to listen to anyone telling them to not spend their money.
  2. birisu Elder

Would be an awfully boring server if nobody bought anything. I don't farm any big-ticket items and I've made enough plat to pay for 2 subs with krono and have leftover plat and krono to buy items with. If someone with more money than time wants to pay for my subscription I'm not going to complain.
  3. Elerial New Member

Always interesting to see people say "If someone can afford it, they will buy it.", but actually buy from RMT sites instead of the official venue, like the guy spending 200$ on 25 krono instead of the actual 425$. So he shorted DBG on 225$ with just that purchase.
  4. Elemenopi Augur

Anytime p2w is introduced into a game, theres a specific market audience who will p2w. This has been known in EQ since 1999. I dont like it either because when game system integrity and revenue from p2w come into conflict with each other (and they often do) the company will usually choose p2w, and game system integrity suffers.
  5. code-zero Augur

Those are the sorts of people who routinely lose all of their accounts along with any Krono that they purchased illicitly.

Of course being the sort of people who abandon characters on one server just to start again on the latest and greatest this probably doesn't much bother them at all
  6. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Daybreak got their 425$
  7. yerm Augur

These are the folks who lobbied hard to get mangler faster xp than phinny, without an increased death penalty or shorter unlock to compensate. The ones creating so many threads screaming about bottlenecks on epics and regal band we are going to need a tlp subforum pickzone soon to accomodate all the whining. Why wouldn't they not only pay to win, but use some 3rd party alternative instead of dbg as a shortcut? Shortcuts are everything they have asked for, again and again.
    code-zero likes this.
  8. Old Man Elder

Some people just pay to play games, to avoid time sinks or for a hundred other reasons (good and bad).

It's good that they do that because it keeps profit-based gaming alive and thriving.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

I can afford it, I just think it's stupid. Two different personality types.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

Is it? I'm doing it wrong. I've played on Lockjaw, Phinny, Agnaar, Coirnav and I've never raided.
  11. Scorrpio Augur

It goes like this: I like to do renovating. Framing, electrical, HVAC, plumbing and all that. Laying down hardwood floor? Yup. Installing windows? Sure. Building my own furniture? Oh yes.
    But tearing down old drywall and hauling it to the dumpster? I'll hire someone. Hanging drywall and spackling/sanding? Hire.

Same thing in EQ. A lot of things can be fun/exciting. Some are not. Figuring out spawn cycles in SK looking for Quillmane for my mage epic was fun. Staring at a spot in lower Guk and one-shotting a mob every 20min or so for my chanter was DULL. If someone offered an SMR on baz at a reasonable price, I would scoop it up.

Or when running ranger epic, I been checking baz for Golanda nuts all the time while foraging.

Take about any camp in EQ, there is someone out there who would pay for the item rather than camp it.

Now if only there was a way to have one zone instance for those farming the item for sale, and an instance for those needing the item for themselves... and making sure neither party can cross over...
  12. Herf Augur

Why?

Well I've been playing on and off since 2000. I went through the world (up through just after PoP) following the original intent of the game and hunting my own gear. Besides back then there was no DB store.

Nowadays I still try to follow the original intent: most of my alts get hand me downs. However since I'm raiding and 2 boxing I have had to buy some better stuff for some of of my alts to allow them to be effective. I also grab the 3 'free' XP pots every month. I also bought 2 x Hero's Forge because I wanted my Halfling ranger to be able to wear the St. Patricks Day top hat, and I wanted my Erudite chanter to be able to wear the loudest possible robe he could buy, and wear all the different wizard hat decorations. Character conception is everything.

And yes, I've bought some of the bags, and one mount from the DB store. The mount was the best purchase ever for my SHM.

All of this because the game is my primary entertainment expense. I don't eat at restaurants. I have Netflx but not cable/Amazon/or Hulu. So that's why I buy stuff on TLP servers. Oh and BTW, they aren't dead after 1 year, and the items last as long as the game will last.
  13. C3lowz Augur

Lets see.

John makes 200k$+ a year, able to spend 500+$ a month on a silly online game.
    Jim makes just over 70k$+ a year. Not able to spend 500$+ a month on a silly online game.

If you find the game enjoying, and you have the funds to cover the purchases. Why not?
  14. yerm Augur

Why not? Because you end up with a server full of RMTing farmer monopolies peddling wares to the same folks screaming they NEED their regal band and epic, only to quit in a year because they feel no personal attachment to their character.
    code-zero likes this.
  15. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Circle of life
  16. Tierdal Augur

some people have money, and like spending it on EQ - it brings them joy.
  17. Brunlin Augur

He shorted DBG, and over paid at a good steak place lol
  18. AcemoneyFV Augur

Why do you buy things in real life instead of building/creating things? :eek:
  19. Cicelee Augur

I think the one thing a lot of people are not mentioning is that the TLP expansion has a very short life cycle, maybe 2-3 months. And since generally gear gets upgraded in the next expansion, some will find it silly to spend $200 in kronos on an item that they may only wear for ten weeks. Whereas someone who spends $200 in kronos on a live server on an item in January 2020 could conceivably still be wearing that item in May 2021 because of how long expansions last.

Having said that, people buy things when they have the financial means and desire to do so. While I would never spend $200 on an item I would wear for ten weeks, it is not my place to disparage those that do. And the only issue I would have is if the item in question is monopolized, and I have zero chance of obtaining the item during era. In which case I either (a) wait ten weeks for better, (b) dip into the savings account, or (c) Forum Quest my frustrations...
  20. Xeris Augur

i'd spend krono on fungi staffs and a CoS for myself and alts... since those are only here for a brief period. i might also pay for LR to vp key quest pieces, aka something that are huge time sinks that i don't want to or don't have the time to do myself.

i do agree though, i wouldn't pay for something like a CoF since that can be upgraded relatively easily once velious drops
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.