Why do people pay for stuff on TLP servers?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by JeffHanson, Jun 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffHanson Augur

RMT exists because there are customers. If people stopped buying items and powerlevels from these scum, they would go infest some other game or find new scams.

1) Why spend RL money for items on a server that will be effectively dead within a year?

2) Why are items like GEBs so desirable anyway? Playing with 200 INT is not really different than playing with 191 INT. Seriously, it doesn't make any noticeable difference in your gameplay. Also, see (1).

3) Why pay for powerlevels and items anyway? EQ is about the journey, not the destination. Congratulations, you paid a few hundred bucks to get top level and the best items. There's nothing to do after that. What's the point? Also, see (1).

I learned my lesson in Diablo 1 when I had someone dupe me a full set of the best gear. I immediately realized that I had no reason to continue playing that character, so I deleted it and started a fresh solo game. I think the same reasoning applies here.
  2. Funnything Journeyman

did you not play classic eq? gebs were the coveted item, efreeti was so hard to kill, and getting to him was very hard since the mobs hit like trucks and back then they also saw invis so you couldnt skip trash, most people couldnt outdps the respawn rate and couldnt even make it to efreeti's room.
  3. Guzzle Augur

The best items come from raiding, not necessarily group content. I'd imagine some people pay for plvling because they just want to raid.
  4. Spayce Augur

For the same reason anyone pays for anything they don’t need...

Some folks can drop few hundred bucks on a silly game and not even notice. I spent 25 krono on a COF back when Coirnav was in Classic because...why not? That’s the cost of a nice dinner...so no big deal.

If you can’t afford that, don’t. Grind away in game while eating Taco Bell if that’s what you can afford.
  5. Phaedren New Member

“Some folks can drop few hundred bucks on a silly game and not even notice. I spent 25 krono on a COF back when Coirnav was in Classic because...why not? That’s the cost of a nice dinner...so no big deal.”

If you consider $450 a “nice dinner and no big deal” then we have very different definitions of “no big deal”. LOL.
  6. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Some people just like to watch the world burn.

Also i'm rich.
  7. HoodenShuklak Augur

I just pay for my dinner with a straight up cof.

Like last expo I celebrated the first legitimate quarm kill and took out my gf to Peter Lugers. If you ever go there you know they don't take credit cards. You can apply for a Peter Luger card, but what they don't advertise is that kronos is fine but actual items are the preferred method of payment. So you get a great steak, good old boys ambiance, and never have to spend a dime.

Just don't forget your laptop.
  8. Spayce Augur

25 krono is like $200. A dinner for 2 at any decent steakhouse after a couple drinks plus tip is about $200.

If you can’t afford it, don’t spend cash on a video game. I was just explaining why some of us do since the OP (and many others who ask the same question every couple weeks) can’t seem to fathom that not everyone sweats a couple hundred bucks.

Treat these boxers as what they are...cheap labor. Just like your landscaper or maid service.
    Tierdal likes this.
  9. TWittig New Member

10. Protagonist Tank

He's quoting the price for buying them from an RMT site. Because he came to the official forums to let folks know he's rich and can afford so many black market krono that he's okay with being banned after making this post.
    potatoface and Scruff like this.
  11. Nolrog Augur

Why do you care how other people play? Some people have more money than time, so they use that to catch up. If you have more time than money, then you can use that to your advantage.
  12. Drifter New Member

So they don't even take Amex black? I do find it funny they take checks. Also, is the steak really that much better?

13. HoodenShuklak Augur

The steaks are great.

What keeps you coming back is the good old boys club atmosphere though.
    Krisiun likes this.
  14. Romen Lorekeeper

I agree with the OP, especially about the journey being the best part. I don't play on a TLP because I want to rush to max level and gear every expansion. I like experiencing the old content, and I like working to get my own gear. What I don't like is people, especially the botters, perma-camping everything of value. And the crying baby picture is getting old and not very funny.
    potatoface likes this.
  15. Derresh Augur

Because it is more time efficient, work 1 hour overtime(even at a low end job) and buy that fungi or camp it in a pug for 10hrs and maybe get it (probably not). Sadly, this is how most games these days are even designed with a pay to win/skip time sinks at low micro-transaction costs.
    Drifter likes this.
  16. Drifter New Member

If all you really cared about was the old content, you can get that on any server. The whole point of going through these servers is to see the raid content in era.
    Nessirfiti likes this.
  17. HoodenShuklak Augur

you mean it's not as fun running into the end zone on an empty practice field?
  18. TLP Addict Augur

Some people are time rich and money poor, others are money rich and time poor.

It's like saying we wouldn't have as much crime if only people would stop buying drugs, but alas people aren't all going to just stop doing that either.
  19. Drifter New Member

That is football right?
  20. Xeris Augur

Who are you to tell people what 'the whole point' of TLP's are? Is there some sort of official definition from DBG that explains how people are supposed to play the game?

I 100% paid some dude kronos to PL my guys from 50-60 because I had a few really busy weeks at work and couldn't bother. Made the kronos from farming items in classic and running plat raids on Agnarr. How about you just play the game the way you want and let others play the way that they enjoy? ;p
    andross77, Ajjantis and TLP Addict like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.