Will we ever see..

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Crowley, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Uumdano Augur

There would still be boxers like myself competing for lower end raid content in era but nothing like we have seen, provided DBG was capable of enforcing a required keystroke for every single action for each account. There would also be boxers like myself who would group with folks who are lfg and boxers who help push and gear their guilds through various endeavors. Tools will be tools and decent people will be decent no matter the situation.

Upon further consideration I would have to say if this was pursued, obviously there would have to be room made for macros as that is part of the game. Regardless, I am sure it is a pipe dream anyways.
  2. Zanarnar Augur

I'd actually rather not play then be forced to use voice chat with random pug groups. (Also, I always, and I mean ALWAYS have music on when I'm playing EQ. Having to use voice chat means turning it down. I don't like turning it down.) On raids its a ... necessary evil, I'll give you that much. But in PUG groups? hard pass even if it was easily doable. (IE everyone used the in-game voice chat)

Also, I don't want to maintain 100 actions per minute in EQ (or more). if I wanted an ARPG I would play Grim Dawn or something. If I wanted an action oriented MMO I'd play DCUO or TESO or similar. We're all here playing on TLP's because we want classic EQ. Classic EQ is slow paced compared to action oriented games, or even modern EQ.

I'm not trying to convince you or say my way is right, yours is wrong. Just pointing out not everyone sees things the same way, or finds fun in the same activities. Personally I have no issue with someone boxing an alt (1). The issue arises when people box more, as they tend to make their own group as opposed to using their alt to fill in a group need. I for one hope they continue to improve their tools to detect cheaters and people breaking the rules on boxing and keep banning them. (lifetime bans would be nice)
    potatoface likes this.
  3. Uumdano Augur

This part does not make alot of sense. I can respect your desire for a slower paced game, it is out there for you to have in EQ. You can wait and wait and wait all you want for a group, some of us do not find that fun at all and is a large reason we box. There are levels to the amount of the social aspect of the game people want, I for one never use voice chat, even while raiding. I will listen but that is only because it is often mandatory. I more often than not run solo but there are times when I have people join my group. This meant the majority of my playing time was spent unguilded, the times I was guilded I made room for people in my box more often then not. During GoD on LJ, once I defeated Tipt with my six box I literally pushed darn near close to half or more of my guild through.

I also want to point out boxing is only somewhat illegal on truebox servers, their stock UI in window mode is ideal for boxing from one computer so obviously DBG sees the benefit of some of us playing more than one account at one time. Boxing and rmt is why we have krono, which is great, the company gets their cut of the rmt market which is simply another revenue stream. Without these there is a good chance this game would be dead because believe me, if they did not see it as beneficial for them, they would have made every piece of gear bind and corpses would have a very short span. Or whatever they deemed appropriate to wipe out the after market.

This is why having varying rule sets to the different servers is a good thing. If you keep churning out the same basic core rule set, ie truebox, you are going to miss a significant portion of the population, like myself. I personally have not played since they were mucking with alchemy however I have always enjoyed the depth of the game and the challenge of running a box crew and seeing what sort of content I can tackle without the use of cheats, hacks or even really a large assortment of macros.

We all need to find balance because these servers will never be exactly what we want nor will other players attune to the play style we desire from them.
  4. Machentoo Augur

So, you're not going to tell me my way is wrong, but my way is wrong. Got it.

I get bored boxing only one extra toon. It isn't enough to keep mee occupied and engaged. The game is more fun boxing more. I have no issue with people who don't want to box, but I do have issue with people who don't want me to box.
    Nessirfiti likes this.
  5. Zanarnar Augur

Which is why I stated it the way I did. Cheaters are on group, Boxers are another. The venn diagrams do overlap somewhat between the two groups... but not every boxer is cheating (by far, most are NOT) and not every cheater boxes ;) Hence my "and people breaking the rules on boxing" wording ;)

Krono was added to take a bite out of RMT. Had nothing to do with boxing. It gave players a safe way to buy plat or items with RL money, and gave SoE a slice of the action.

The default ui setup for boxers? no man, it was setup for low-resolution screens. I would guess the default UI in window mode is setup for 800x600 still, maybe 1024x768. In no way did some UI designer 15yrs ago design it to make life easier for people to box their own groups :) I doubt that was even on their radar at the time.

I do agree they need to come up with some more interesting rule sets for the next TLP servers. I've already largely lost interest because Selos and mangler offered nothing new. (ohh fast unlocks on one and starting the other at SoL.. neither are exactly compelling to me). I was hoping for so much more for a big 20th anniversary, but clearly I was expecting too much :)

Your also correct in saying no server will ever be exactly what every player is looking for. I think your larger issue is going to be convincing them that a server without truebox but with AoC's won't just end up with a handful of people boxing their own guilds and few other players. I would expect it to end up like the PEQTGC eqem server, where if you don't bring your own box army, you aren't getting very far. (I'm like, probably the only player who solo's on that server heh)
    potatoface likes this.
  6. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

I box 3 to 6, I get the feeling. But I mainly box 6 when I want to go slow and take breaks.

If I want a faster group I'll box less and let someone pull because that's 10x easier.

I think most people hate boxers because they see the 6+ guy being a total or being automated.
    I've only run into 1 or 2 people that just went crazy on my 6 box on mangler so far so good.
  7. Uumdano Augur

Not sure I ever met someone who was rmt that was not boxing. They would seem to go hand and hand, ie locking down certain camps that generate plat and now krono. I cant imagine playing the market hoping you get great deals to resell, you are entirely dependent on other people whereas with boxing, you are able to farm whatever you are capable of to turn around and sell for s full profit, minus the additional monthly cost of accounts.

As far as the resolution goes, I logged into an account and checked, I suppose the default is like 640x480 but you have the option of going up to 1920x1080. I mean are you looking to box a 20 year old game in 4k? Alt-tabbing vs the ease of use of the mouse release function is a no brainer, try it! Granted custom UI's might not have the mouse release function, they probably have other great functions, I would not know. I know for sure window mode + mouse release + smooth mouse recapture = someone was thinking about one computer multi account boxing when they made it, however long ago it was. Wonder if they consulted JustSomeDude, the writer of EQW for the low down on the mouse release or they just worked it out themselves.
    potatoface likes this.
  8. Zanarnar Augur

It provides options up to what your screen can handle (perhaps it offers up to your current desktop resolution? Not 100% sure there as I always run my desktop in the highest resolution my monitor will support). Currently I play EQ at 1440p, same as my desktop is set at.

Since I don't box at all, I can't speak to window mouse release... other then to note that can be done with windows settings.
    https://winaero.com/blog/enable-xmouse-window-tracking-windows-10/

On KDE/Xorg (my linux desktop) focus following the mouse is the default setup. I tend to setup my windows install to work in the same manner for the times I need to use it.

As far as custom UI's go; I believe they are simply XML skins over the default UI. While they can re-arrange elements and show/hide different things, they cannot change the games behavior in that manner (IE change how mouse-grab works), that would require launching EQ from another program that can enforce different window models. Basically how EQW did its thing.
    potatoface likes this.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

How would I know? This is your argument. Your window arrangement blah, blah, blah, sounds only marginally more effective. But no 3rd party tools, right? Just checking.
  10. Uumdano Augur

You brought up alt-tabbing, I was just replying I could not believe people were still alt tabbing. Apparently you were just using it as a reference to boxing on one computer and not actually the act of boxing on one computer, which is more efficient with out alt-tab, imo.

The window arrangement I brought up was in reference to eqw and how alt-tab worked in unison with the mouse release, back in 2000-04, the time I have admitted to hear using that 3rd party software to pay my rent. Since my return in 13 or 14 and up until LJ made it to Oow, I have not used more then simple assist macros with my four and then six box to compete for raid mobs. I was actually banned because I was in Sky working isle two on LJ with my four box, apparently going against server rotation, which I was not included in or consulted about, nor should I have been. It was my position that the deal was made by the large guilds who would cut each others throats and those of us paying for the service but not guilded still had a right to the content.

So yeah, check all you want, I have nothing to hide.
  11. Uumdano Augur

Interesting info, thanks. So apparently even custom UI's would have the mouse release and the comment made here was obviously just in reference to boxing on one computer and not actually the current state of boxing on one computer, as noted in the above post w/ Accipiter.

Hopefully they finally decide to offer a boxing, AoC and mitigated cheat server. Perhaps it would draw off the boxers from the true box servers (prob not since they are already invested) and make that a more suitable environment for those who prefer not to play with boxers. /Shrug, never know till they try it I suppose.
  12. Accipiter Old Timer

Correct.

I wasn't insinuating you did. :)
  13. Aneuren Tempered Steel

This is why I stopped advocating for the release of a non-truebox server after Mangler launched. I'm worried that Daybreak policy makers would try to interpret the results of such a server in a flawed manner.

Now if they went with a cloned-era TLP server that we could transfer too, that would be pretty neat.
  14. likestobox Lorekeeper

I really hope they start up another tlp that isn't truebox and has AoC ... Had about 5 of my friends that transfered from live to eqemu with me and we are always talking about going back. To make both sides had just make one true and 1 not truebox,make then slower unlocks to stop the complaint on the forums for a bit.... Most of us boxers start complaining for a new server around dodh or por, truebox fanatics were bred to complain so can't prevent that 1.
    potatoface likes this.
  15. Drifter New Member

Nobox. So a server where nobody can play on it because they aren't allowed a computer?
  16. code-zero Augur

The major source of RMT is individual employees of a company using sweatshop labor in 3rd world countries. So numerically there are a lot more people playing individually than there are boxing. Also I know that in a guild I was in years back there were several players who never boxed at all and were pretty much anti-boxing but routinely sold items and plat to the RMT'ers for a few quick bucks since at the time there were no plat sinks for them to use up the excess.
  17. Stewgottz Augur

So I guess the disconnect I have is.. because it is impossible to stop someone from using 3rd party software to box groups of toons on standard non truebox servers, I have to use 3 pcs to box on a truebox server? Meanwhile your forums are flooded almost daily with people complaining about the problem truebox is supposed to be mitigating : Evil afkers stealing the sweet loots.

There is no need to box 24 toons to lockdown a cos. Just need a mage /shrug. Truebox still doesn't fix that. Look at the complaints on here, all the mobs and camps that are typical areas of conflict are soloable content. Its about policing your game for afk farmers, not making me turn on a second laptop to run ports before a raid.
  18. Gremin Augur

Why have you never tried past PoR? Some great changes and expansions.
  19. Xanadas Augur

The problem is you're assuming everyone believes the same thing. There is a large segment of your population that wants to box and boxes respectably. We raid with our friends and, for the most part, keep to ourselves. We don't really care if there's a 40 boxer running around killing dragons. Better yet, turn on MOTM on a new boxable TLP and all these overblown complaints about boxers will almost entirely disappear....

I've played since 2000 and I box 6 to 12 when my friends and I have fun TLP servers/content to play. Right now though, we're just sitting around waiting for WoW classic. Money down the drain for you guys.
    potatoface likes this.
  20. potatoface Journeyman

" zones and picks"

There weren't any picks, or AoCs or any of that QOL stuff we got in Phinny. Those specifically addressed the overcrowding you're complaining about.