Largest class die offs ever.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Whulfgar, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Yimin Augur

Mages IMO has seen the biggest die off ever , and I am talking about peoples mains not someones 5th alt !

YiMin
  2. I-WANT-IT-NOW Augur

People constantly talk about a dot nerf for shaman but every dot is better off dps wise than it was before any change. Not going through them all but you had a dot that did like 1600 a tic and now does 7,000, you had a dot that did 3,500 a tic and now does 9,500 a tic, you had a dot that did 2,600 a tic and it now does 9,000 a tic.

The only bad aspect was the mana ratio changes which many can agree are overly harsh but with canni and casting from hit points for 6 minutes out of every 20 shaman still can do work. Its just not look at me I am tier 1 dps and tier 1 healer at the same time anymore.
    Duder, Renotaki, kizant and 3 others like this.
  3. Spellfire Augur

Nobody likes nerfs, I understand that, but SHM is still a very capable class (plus they are in demand for raiding. Try to find a raid guild as a necro :cool: ).
  4. Fluid Augur

Wolf Form/Share Wolf Form faction nerf. Killed my game for a LONG time until I found ways to farm faction. This was back in the time before easy travel and coin had weight so limited ability to sell and bank for non gaters.

Wasn't all upside either, Wolf Form would get you killed in Halas. It was back when time sinks, no travel options, and factions were considered integral to the game model. Not so much lately. :)
    Shaantara and code-zero like this.
  5. Maedhros High King

Currently recruiting A necro.
    Goburs, Drogba, Sancus and 1 other person like this.
  6. Tanols Augur

Minor correction: Disco was broke in beta > went live broke and was stupid OP > the changes that came after to "fix" it ... specifically nerf to crit chance stacking of SS Shaman epic and Glyph of Destruction (note: none of those is the broken OP Disconcerting Disc) now those hurt, but in long run had to be done at least as far as zerkers were concerned.
    I'm sorry but any changes to an ability that has 100% uptime and equals a class being able to top parses based on hitting just that 1 broken OP ability is not a nerf. Even if it takes them months to get around to it.
    Playing a zerker at that time was just plain stupidly simple .... Hit Disconcerting > go afk > rinse repeat every 3 mins and you topped parses ... I almost quit out of boredom and welcomed the FIX of the ability that came months later.
  7. minimind The Village Idiot

There have never really been THAT many berserker mains, but a couple of the nerfs I saw in my time certainly popped zerk population bubbles when they made them less fun to play for some. Honestly, I don't think many berserkers storm off with their toys because of game changes. I think they just stop playing EQ for find novelty in playing another class.

There was the Flurry Nerf (SoF?) wherein all the AAs and gear up to that point had made flurries too common on the berserker. The DPS was PHAT (even for a slacker like me), but all of those multiplicative abilities made it impossible to provide worthwhile further upgrades. I think it's Ngreth that frequently mentions that they have to be very careful about berserker weaponry because every little damage boost in weaponry results is big gains.

I'll be the first to admit that this was a correct move. It was a market bubble bursting and had to happen... but it sucked, too.

The other berserker nerf was the epic 2.0 clicky. It used to re-proc indefinitly if you could stay in combat. This really, really helped drive the fun berserker mentality of "MOAR CHAIN PULLS!". But, with a 3-minute recast, berserkers could sometimes go long periods with the buff running. So now it has a set duration. *Sad Trombone*

The devs did recognize the enjoyment of the gameplay mechanic, though, and they created a discipline line for damage re-proc, but it competes with a more powerful ability on the same timer.
  8. Xyphen Maximum Augur

Wizards:
    Mana burn nerf
    PoK books
  9. enclee Augur

I don’t know if it’s a specific era, but it felt like every group had a Druid back in the early 2000’s. Now, I rarely see them.
  10. Monkman Augur

Spell Casting Reinforcement Mastery and hybrids discs.. still stings
  11. NeverPayForLag Augur

Yes.. Druids.. like Enchanters... had a nice "Boost-Nerf-Kombo"...
    Skewert likes this.
  12. Lilura Augur

For some reason Nature's Fiery Wrath didn't get whapped with the nerf bat. I've heard multiple people say druids are deadly in PvP for that alone. You can roast a raid geared tank with one DoT.

As for shamans, I never dotted on raids anyway so it was no big deal for me. TBH I gave up the shaman because it was exhausting. Healing mana sponges like DPS melees, especially with all these stupid AEs because you let a raid mob get out of balance, and all the other jobs of a shaman are murder.
  13. Sancus Augur

Yes, it did:
    FawnTemplar, Drogba and Riou like this.
  14. Aegir Augur

I Remember That. I just think they reduced the agro a bit after the uproar. It was still much higher agro than pre-nerf. It's many years ago now, But I Thiink they did the nerf around Velious launch so the new Heal Over Time spells had better Utility. So if you fought a Mob as a group, you would start casting a HoT on the Tank and then wait as he got lower HP and had build agro for your CH to land without stealing agro.

A lot of stuff that does a lot of agro today did nothing back then. I remember Shamans Turgur'ing stuff on Inc during Kunark - and the first swing from a melee would take agro from them.
  15. Bigstomp Augur

Poorly played healers around SoD when mercs arrived.
  16. Whulfgar Augur

Bwhahahahahaha
    Elyssanda likes this.
  17. Ninelder Augur

You do realize that the classes that died off from nerfs are much less likely to visit these boards ,much less play again.
  18. Whulfgar Augur

And ?

I am curious as to what other class's have had to deal with. Being a warrior it only took them 7 year's to upgrade Final Stand.

During House of Thule Warrior's were able to consistantly (none tanking) out burn rogues.. once they corrected that seen TONS of people stop playing warriors.

Right now warrior's are in a very good spot. What say you bout your own class ? What class and what / when was it hit hard or had a class die off ?
    Skewert likes this.
  19. Ninelder Augur

Druids were the first class I remember being crushed under the heel of bad developers. RodCetNife went from over 2000 druid mains to under 200 in the span of six months. A particularly stupid dev made half their spells not work indoors. For flavor....:rolleyes: Then they launched the Lost Dungeons of Norrath expansion which was entirely indoors. No real way to defend this guys poor choices, the theory is that he had a large amount of stock in Blizzardd Entertainment.

Same dev different class, designed a full decade of raids where clerics had to hide behind a wall, count to a number and click one spell. The only difference between each raid event for cleric mains was the colour of the wall. It was normal to lose 3 or 4 clerics a night to falling asleep at the keyboard(oh what fun that was!!!) While it wasn't a one expansion die-off, it was a steady crippling stream of unreplaceable players.

The dev response to the cleric die off was not to create more engaging content that would keep clerics awake on raids. Instead they just forced the role on druids. This did change the raiding experience, we went from 3 to 4 clerics a night falling asleep at the keyboard to 3 to 4 clerics and druids falling asleep at the keyboard. The obvious expected effect(to anyone with a lick of sense) was that the game was hemorrhaging both clerics and druid at a steady die off rate.

Then of course the OP healer merc's in SoD coupled with the utterly useless tank mercs caused a lot of priests to quit/main change. I am sure more clerics quit or main changed in the early years of wall events at a steady pace, but having your entire class replaced with robots that could be stacked and allow every tank, melee, and pet class to molo the entire way through SoD progression while the clerics tank mercs were being one-rounded by light blue cons in Oceangreen Hills... It was ludicrous, obvious, and totally demoralizing. Only the most stubborn remained, and they are still waiting for the devs to atone for their misdeeds.
    Dsuna, Xanumbik and Ezbro like this.
  20. enclee Augur

Don't ignore the fact that healer mercs let a lot of those clerics main change to a class they enjoyed. I knew quite a few that felt relieved to not have to be a cleric.
    Skewert and Yinla like this.