Paladin Wishes

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Allayna, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Metapsyche Augur

The burst line has the unique Quiet3s function that locks out all spells for 3 seconds after being cast. Essentially it’s a back loaded cast timer. It does allow for cool things like Brilliant -> Merciful Touch (big slow heal) -> Burst to do a truly incredible heal in ~4s but then you’re doing no casting for the next 3 seconds
  2. Metapsyche Augur

I just really dislike long cast spells, and burst is essentially that just the spell goes off before the cast timer starts
  3. Allayna Augur

Honestly, didn't even know about this, after cast GCD because none of our paladins use this spell line. Kinda messed up that you can't cast anything for ~ 3 seconds after hitting it though.
  4. Metapsyche Augur

It’s definitely an interesting mechanic, but like you said if you have to change targets you’re already sacrificing as a tank. Having to change targets for a heal that already carries a fairly hefty downside is kinda brutal. Heck even the implementation of a tab key social would help so that at least I could social to target me, cast heal, target previous mob on 1 button.. but that’s prolly just the lazy in me coming out lol
  5. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

There are several spell lines across classes that freeze out spell gems longer than the GCD (for wizards, harvest is one). In Lucy, it's listed as fizzle time and EQ Resource lists it as spell bar lockout. If the value is greater than 1.5, you are losing some time for your spells.

As far as what's been mentioned, happy with most of the ideas listed. I'm nervous to do anything associated with splash as I would much rather keep status quo rather than get a back door nerf (remember the rank 3 target limitation for awhile).

I asked about Covenant for Paladins on 3 separate occasions during Beta … since our Alliance line was pretty much like every other non-priest class. Never got a response.

I watch our paladins on raids and I think they are in a really good place. Then I watch them all sit their pallies and roll with their sks when boxing in group content. If we are getting any changes/new stuff, I'd like to make sure it affects group play the most. It's sad when you are in an open raid and there are 10!!! SKs and maybe 1 paladin. The numbers of paladins in group play are starting to dwindle...and it would be nice to at least stop the bleeding.
    Allayna and Metapsyche like this.
  6. tyrantula Elder

I do lots of single target healing during raiding. I generally put 3-4 of our top DPS on my xtar and pad them when they get below 50%. Even if I'm MT/OT I do this. I generally only have burst of morninglight because I don't like to lockout Protective Devotion.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  7. Metapsyche Augur

Understatement of the year... y’all should see how much this yahoo casts protective devotion :-D

“Met, did you know you could target yourself and protective will hit you?” Only could be discovered by someone who spans that spell on everything.

“Ah crap guys, a locked door.”-Met

“Don’t worry, I’ve got this” -Tyrantula

Tryrantula begins casting Protective Devotion.

“Wait... it worked?” -Met

Rofl.
  8. tyrantula Elder

i cover protective, you cover aurora. we're each half a pally
  9. Wulfhere Augur

Right, and we have Touch for single target heal spam.
  10. Wulfhere Augur

That's funny since paladins have always had an emergency savior game play style even in EQ. When the things go south, paladins react and save the day. It's D&D priests (clerics) who traditionally have the contingency preemptive spells, not paladins.
  11. Wulfhere Augur

What? Force of Mercy line recourse always heals the paladin caster.

[55437/10759] Merciful Healing
    Classes: PAL/109
    Target: Self
  12. Wulfhere Augur

EQResource calls it Spell Bar Lockout. Raidloot calls it Rest. It's not unique to Burst spells.

The original level 73 Burst of Sunlight has a 6 second rest (which was really painful). It's not until level 83 Burst of Dawnlight that the rest period reduces to 3 seconds. I can see asking for this trend to continue with a level 113 Burst that has only a 1.5 second rest period. Or this could be given via a focus AA. However, as said by others in this thread, doing that would infringe on priests and obsolete the Light line (that is already obsolete imho because of Timer 9 and Protective line). Tough call.

I'm in favor of paladins having a single target heal for out of group healing even though many (raid) paladins don't use any of these spells because of their play styles. Paladins should be able to perform a drive-by heal on someone in trouble or heal someone out of group on ETW. We can do that with Burst, Light, Touch, directly; or with Protective, Valiant, by targeting a mob.
  13. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Since most of this is AA and spells talk, let’s bring some itemization in here. I’d like to see some revivals of certain Paladin item lines and some other ideas. For all of these there should be a group version in top tier group zones and a raid version.

1 Hander (Hopebringer reboot):

This one hander would have a proc that is a large group Heal (no cure counters). Sympathetic Hand of Soothing which fires off a group Heal and mana return when you cast a beneficial spell.

2 Hander (Soulfire reboot):

Bring back the flaming Paladin sword. Give it a proc that is a stun with magic or fire damage, and have it recourse a smaller group heal. This should have a sympathetic hand of Holy Vengeance on it as well. As a kicker give it an instant clicky “Complete Heal” on a 5 minute Reuse timer. Make this like an unmodifiable 60-70k Heal.

Paladin Only Shield:

Paladin shield that can go in the shield or Back slot. Give it a Sympathetic Devout Rune proc that will fire off a rune on your self when you cast Detrimental spells.
  14. Wulfhere Augur

Me too. Berserkers and Bards seem most fragile in our raids.
  15. Allayna Augur

You are correct, I was mistaken in that I thought it was HTT HoT. It would certainly be more useful that way and that just illustrates my point. Stuns are nice, but if they make mobs unstunable it would be nice to have them be combo'd to heal like I posted above. Especially if they are going to kick us in the jockstrap with DPS "because we have stuns"...

Sounds like you need to splash more o_O
    Which brings me back to the ability to toggle the cure component, there are definitely raids that curing indiscriminately is bad. Someone else mentioned in the posts above a completely separate spell to make splash without a cure, either would work imo, but the latter would take an additional spell gem.
  16. Petalonyx Augur

Probably need some dps gap closure for that.
  17. Petalonyx Augur

An undead-only HT would be helpful (if there were undead!). Paladins are handsy already hehe.
    Allayna likes this.
  18. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Or their clerics and shaman.

Last raid night our clerics did 753 combined casts of splash/syllable. Just noticed it on an app thread. I'd bet the shaman casts at least as much splash heals.

Different kind of raiding setup and class distribution I presume. Maybe why I feel like our healing is almost irrelevant this expansion. Just not needed in my guild at this point. We heal, but if we didn't, would it change anything? Unless only 2 clerics logged in, probably not.
  19. Wulfhere Augur

I like it as a self HoT because I can use it reliably for myself even when not tanking. I swap it for Harmonious when I think I can generate some group heals instead.

I can only splash as often as the cool down allows. Choosing where to splash is part of our event strategies. Often the melee DPS are supposed to be healed by cleric alliances on the MT in our setups. Berserkers are always trying to kill themselves to DPS. Our occasional bards have poor gear vs the AE. So they get some single target attention from me.

That was my alternative splash idea. I bet we won't get either one because the Devs seem to like using cure penalty mechanics the past many years and the most visible class that impacts is paladins.
    Allayna likes this.
  20. Allayna Augur

Holytouch?! o_O

But instead of killing the undead creature it cures it of death and becomes your pet!
    j/k...