CoTH and Rez Breaks Charm

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Liren_Lockheart, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Liren_Lockheart Journeyman

Hey Daybreak,

As a life long enchanter, I was pretty disappointed when I heard you were changing how CoTH and Rez affects charm. It's been a decades long practice for an enchanter in a group to invis their way through a labyrinth of mobs to find a great pet and have a mage in their group CoTH them back to safety. (Invis breaks charm so you can't get back out the way you came in.) This is also a helpful tactic when a pet or the enchanter dies and you need to fish up a new pet far from camp. Removing this option means you limit our pool of pets, limit our pool of camps to those near good pets, or force us to slog through alot of pointless trash to get where we are going.

Breaking a charm when rezzed seems to be another way for you to stop enchanters from going fishing for pets and being pulled back across a zone but practically, it makes recovery after a death or wipe more difficult. If I die and need to fight back in to my corpse, I'm going to have a pet with me. It's standard to take a rez with a pet and not immediately be forced to wrangle the pet back into submission with rez effects and no mana. You've effectively made it so that we can't grab a pet before we get rezzed during a recovery without risking ourselves or our groups.

I'm sure you had a good reason for implementing these changes. Stealing important quest mobs via charm and getting CoTHed back to your waiting group comes to mind. But please do reconsider. There are simpler ways to stop griefing then by eliminating this every day part of enchanter life. Flagging the quest mobs as uncharmable for example is a much narrower approach that doesn't eliminate 20 years of enchanter charming strats. I'd be happy to help you brainstorm ideas for the rest of the griefing complaints if I knew what they were.

Thank you for all your hard work,
    Melusine the Enchanter
    Trow likes this.
  2. Grailer Augur

Because it’s easier to code charm breaking on gate etc than to make named mobs uncharmable .

The only way to fix this is to charm named mobs while casting complete heal with cleric so that it lands just before other group dispels it.

The enraged players will then complain enough that the devs will feel forced to make named mobs uncharmable.

But tbh it is just easier and less disruptive to face facts that your enchanter is just a buff bot
  3. That0neguy Augur

Who said the change to charm breaks was solely for the purpose to stop griefing? Prathun has posted many times over the last week to say circle one may sometimes overlap with circle 2 but it's not always directly why they changed something. He specifically addressed your idea about flagging stuff that is tagged as rare could be uncharmable.

Also Charm has not be a "decades" long practice by any means.
  4. a_librarian Augur

RMTers will find a new way to abuse mechanics and make their money. This change will just eliminate interesting gameplay for non griefers

That said it's not going back to the way it was, oh well
  5. yerm Augur

This has only been a problem since the changes that made pets not agro npcs + the change to have pets warp to a player under various conditions instead if only being able to run via zone pathing.

If you want to go back to the good ol days mechanics, that's what they were. When we charmed in fire we dragged that sucker the whole way to the camp, cause a coth meant bringing c1 and half the field to tables.

The rez nerf was unjust and cruel, please revert.
  6. Trevalon Augur

Well, the first set of TLPs came in 2006 and charm was heavily utilized then. So, yea it has kinda been more than a decades long practice....
  7. That0neguy Augur

I'll give you decade long practice. However the pluralized form, decades, would indicate 2 or more.
  8. yerm Augur

People have charmed since before launch. So, yes, decades, you snarky troll.
  9. HoodenShuklak Augur

If you are a legitimate ENC that didn't grief using charm + porting then you should be praising these changes.

Pretty much every other option on the table I've seen mentioned is far worse for your average enc that just wants to use some super OP charming in exp groups. We all know charming in exp groups is entirely out of balance. Protecting your class and this spell from griefers is good for the average player. In the worst case (i.e. pretty much anything else) scenario then the class gets hit harder.

Be glad they are targeting griefing mechanics and not the fact that charm is supremely overpowered.
    Rasper Helpdesk likes this.
  10. Darkhain Elder

Yeah pretty much charm could use some "tweaks" !
  11. Kujoe Lorekeeper

Can we revert this change, it is totally bogus. Just spend 45 minutes clearing trash to get a pet that was merely charmable since i joined the group after they formed. About 2 hours later, pet broke charm and decided to warp back to his spawn point before i could recharm or mez, and had to repeat the process. Yes, seeing someone charm gate the named you are after sucks. And yes, charm pet dps is very high now. But, every class has their day in the sun, and after pop charm is merely for giggles, where every enchanter re-rolls or goes to a new TLP.

There has to be a way to prevent charm/gating named mobs, without putting this impediment on experience groups.
  12. Elemenopi Augur

Many of the same folks who were enjoying their charm+gate-sploitation, were all up in their schadenfreude calling everyone else "whiners" - are now complaining at the same rate and volume to get it reinstated.

Priceless.
    AcemoneyFV and Meridian like this.
  13. jeskola pheerie

If you count decades as 90-99, 2000-2009, 2010-2019, etc then EQ is months away from entering its 4th decade!
    a_librarian likes this.
  14. a_librarian Augur

15. Hadesborne Augur

Not true. The change to make pets warp to their owners was made in 2012. Prior to that, you had to fight your way to your camp with your uber charmed pet, thereby creating choices. Charm something nearby that isn't as good, or go charm the best pet and gain some downtime to work your way to the best camp spot. You misrepresent the effort of those in the past.
  16. Moege Augur

Night inevitably follows as has now happened. Time to reroll to the next class that has the sun shining over them.
  17. Liren_Lockheart Journeyman

CoTH and Ressurection breaking charm are both overzealous changes for what sounds like an isolated problem. They made this change to ALL chanters on ALL servers to stop the griefing of specific mobs on Mangler that will be irrelevant when Mangler moves to the next expansion. The better solution is to flag key droppers and key turn in mobs as uncharmable. I'll say it again for the people in the back ...

Flag key droppers and key turn in mobs as uncharmable.

Half the people in this thread think stripping chanters of their ability to move around zones easily with pets is a great idea not because they thought Chanters charming quest mobs was a problem but because they think ANY nerf to Chanters is a great idea! Chanters are obv "OP" so any reduction in power is good regardless if its necessary or fair. Those posters should be categorically ignored.

Class balance is not the goal of EQ. Gamers will always min max and if Chanter isn't on top, another class will quickly replace them and your crappier class will still be passed over for groups and raids.

For those people who are having their loot mobs sniped by chanters charming them and being ported away with their new pets. ******* players will always kill steal you. Always. If they take this mechanic away, they will find a new way to do it.

Taking useful functionality away from legitimate players is never a solution to griefing.

Melusine the Enchanter
    Selos
  18. Liren_Lockheart Journeyman

P.S. It appears the changes that went into affect today make it so that no one outside an enchanter's group can dispel their charm pets. So we can't move around with our pets as easily anymore but once we have them NO ONE CAN TAKE THEM.

I bet everyone will be wishing they had just flagged those key mobs uncharmable now...

Melusine the Enchanter
    Selos