Should we bring back charm gate?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by HoodenShuklak, Jun 21, 2019.

1. yerm Augur

Maybe if live servers weren't almost entirely people playing safely instanced and often single player, you'd have these issues. Most of the worst offenders at pushing exploits and competition are actually people who double dip with a live guild. The top tlp guilds usually have a few of their best players distracted every Sunday for roi raids.

But stay salty my friend.
    potatoface likes this.
  2. CyryllisFenninRo Lorekeeper

I don't agree with nerfing charm gate instead of dealing with players griefing with it, however I am understanding of the fact that there are basically no GMs anymore and it was the easy solution.

However, preventing an enc/nec/dru with a charm pet from being CoTH is a pretty poorly thought out game change.

Just more collateral damage by the incessant whiners on the forums.
    Yinla likes this.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Live servers have more respect for each other, instead of stealing someone elses named we help heal them and DPS once the named has hit 50%, or we make a raid so everyone gets kill credit. There are the odd occasions where named get taken but it is mostly acidental, most servers have a couple of bad apples who don't behave, but mostly everyone helps each other instead of causing grief.

We were last night laughing at some of the things we have seen when back EQ was young. Like handing in the selfdispelling hammer to Tormax, so he dispells himself of debuffs and dots every hit, willing the guild at the raid mob to wipe so your guild gets the chance to kil it. Live has got itself some nerfs over the years.

I very much dislike the change to a DPS race, I dislike the higher level chars in lower level zones, I had a particularly bad experience in Mistmoor on Agnarr a couple of years back with level 50s stealing named when I was 35 - 40, no way you can out DPS someone over 10 levels higher than yourselves. Which is where my requests for the trivial loot code come from.

Selos this time hasn't been so bad, but I feel that is mainly down to the wide spread of the player base. My group can usually play pretty much in the camp we want, there has been the odd occasions we have had to pick something different to do. But then I like to level up somewhere different everytime, so I'm usually off the beaten track away from all the dramas.

I get the feeling EQ herself doesn't like change, she often rebels and breaks something completely non related to the changes that have been made! But she is an old lady and sometimes we throw the toys out the pram. :)
    Kolani and code-zero like this.
  4. Kolani Augur

We would have never, ever DPS raced anyone by engaging the mob at the same time as another guild back in this period. We might have sat and watched them wipe, but engage at the same time? Nope.
    Yinla likes this.
  5. Machentoo Augur

At least, not until the game is shuttered because DBG just gave up the large bulk of their income.
    code-zero likes this.
  6. AcemoneyFV Augur

Nothing changes until you come back and play with me. :rolleyes:
  7. Accipiter Old Timer

Hmmm, I've never tried it. Even if you could CoH the pet, it would likely insta-warp back to the owner.
  8. Gana Augur

But if you could CoH the pet...and it breaks charm...<fill in blank>

I assume you can't CoH the pet.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

My assumption was that CoHing the charmer would break charm but not necessarily CoHing the pet. I doubt you can CoH a pet anyway, so it's a moot point. Now I gotta try it.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

Well, I'll be damned. You can COH a charmed pet. In my very brief test I hit the "Guard" button as soon as the pet disappeared and it stayed put by the mage. Otherwise it would just warp back to the chanter.
    code-zero likes this.
  11. Gana Augur

And when you CoH the enchanter after, charm broke and you killed the named? ;)
  12. Accipiter Old Timer

Jokes aside, charm did not break when I CoHed the chanter. Perhaps it's distance. I wasn't that far away at the time. /shrug

Also, the pet was already at the mage. Dammit, now I have to do another test.
  13. a_librarian Augur

They forgot to include coth in the charm nerfs. A dev posted acknowledging it and saying it would be corrected next patch
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

Yeah, I guess I remember hearing that but couldn't remember if it was in yet or not. Hey, DBG, don't forget to break charm when the pet is CoH'd as well as the enchanter.
  15. Gana Augur

I would stop the pet from being CoH'd. A chanter could charm the mob, mage can CoH the pet away and kill it and the chanter could move on to the next mob. A wonderful pulling strategy for cherry picking nameds and ph.
  16. HoodenShuklak Augur

Maybe flagging rares uncharmable is just where we need to be at at this point.
  17. That0neguy Augur

Except as stated before. There are plenty of other mobs that are not rares that you do not want charm gated.
  18. HoodenShuklak Augur

Flag em rare.
  19. Ghostdog New Member

NO . it was abused to much .
  20. Romen Lorekeeper

Well since we already have an out-of-combat timer (for the fast regen) perhaps a change could be made to not break charm if the timer has run it's course and the charmer is in the ooc state?