What's epic about 10 player standing around

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rcbauer, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Gingyr Elder

On the contrary, waiting for raqe to spawn in skyfire and the subsequent gathering of a 4 am skeleton crew of buddies was one of the highlights of my original clerics career.
    Meridian likes this.
  2. SunDrake Augur

Not that I agree that this should be the case, but yes, for nearly every epic I have ever earned over 20 years there are memories of standing in line or boring, frustrating bottlenecks that do not involve exciting kills [if you are attempting them in-era.]
  3. code-zero Augur

An Epic is a long narrative poem recounting deeds of a hero.

As a descriptor Epic would be something....well...long, with a corresponding story.

So yeah, hanging around for long periods of time waiting on the spawn is pretty much the definition of epic.

Just because in 2019 epic gets applied to junk that's not in any way epic doesn't make the story line and the effort of getting your epic any less epic
  4. Scruff Elder

ah yes, the epic tale of the most powerful shadow knights of norrath as they congregated around Duriek Bloodpool with sleeping bags and auto-clickers for days on end
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  5. Protagonist Tank

Uh. Yes? I'm not sure what you're trying to add to the conversation.
  6. Tierdal Augur

epics suppose to be time sinks
  7. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

I always laugh at the people who want those time-sinks in place as they usually serve zero reason besides being a bottle neck for RMT'ers.

Killing a dragon ... ok
    Killing some mob for a quest item ... ok
    Running across the world to kill a mob then run somewhere else... ok

All those other things that involve watching paint dry, waiting for a turn-in quest to re-spawn after (x) days or hours or even waiting on some stupid multi-day mob to spawn while 20 people / atls all sit around waiting on it and most likely some are running scripts to the be the 1st person to kill, get notified or pick-up an item is just plain 100% stupid 1999 design that should never exist in a MMO.

Your idea of an accomplishment is that in 2019? :rolleyes:
    I know why my friend scripts quests in this stupid game it's 100% easier not being around for it.
  8. Gremin Augur

To me epic quests such as BiC, signet earrings, and epics are about the journey getting them done. Gathering your friends, guild or server in some cases. Sure, sitting and waiting on a mob to spawn sucks and some classes have it worse than others. On mangler you have 2 expansions before AA or lvl change. Not sure why so many get upset over the fact it's not complete immediately. You can kinda know the packing order of completing it based on where your guild stands anyways, with a few exceptions.
    code-zero likes this.
  9. Tierdal Augur

No,it is my idea of accomplishment circa 2000 - cause this is a progression server.
    code-zero likes this.
  10. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

This is a TLP server with on-demand raids, /picks and a whole lot of stuff like wicked high player power compared to the mobs. Nothing here is circa 2000.

Let's not kid anyone that standing in a line for anything equals a skill of accomplishment. All anyone asks for is access to content. There is a reason EQ lost a majority of sub's it wasn't because the game was bad, but not having access to content makes people quit.

Why you think the AOC's are super popular, they allow folks to access the content. Just like /picks allow folks to gain access. Hiding behind "it was this way" is a mental block of change. Progress keeps us moving forward and making DBG more and more $ from customers willing to accept those changes.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  11. Gremin Augur

EQ lost a majority of its subs because something new and shiny came along, something that a lot of people where excited about due to the single player aspect of the game. Coupled with the fact that at release GoD was not all it was cracked up to be(but with the changes they made now one of the best games out there). MMO gaming was also in its infancy when WoW hit, and WoW pushed it to the forefront.
  12. HoodenShuklak Augur

After doing the epics on selo its painfully aware these need a tlp bit of attention. Sure you can get lucky, but on average you're going to be doing some entirely ridiculous non raid, waste your day camps.... like bergurgle. Stuff like that is nearly out of reach for casuals, and that's bad because ultimately it burns them out. If it was purely raid stuff that made it hard then sure make them do it.

But if you're a 1 boxer with a reasonable life (limited play time) then you end up literally spending entire play sessions sitting on single grey camps. That's bad for the player and that's bad for business when they inevitably burn out prematurely.
    Iyacc likes this.
  13. code-zero Augur

As a regular player on Live I routinely check achievements and do long grey camps to get things just because I want to have them. I got the Dusty Soriz Worker Pouch for my wizard in order to max out throwing...

That doesn't burn me out, I'm just playing, chatting with guildies and friends and having fun.
  14. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

The thing that made classic EQ great was the long down times, allowing people to chat and be social. Come back when you know the life stories of those other 9 brothers in arms your hanging out with.
  15. Scruff Elder

they tend to not be very talkative when they're taking a nap with an autoclicker moused over where the handin guy spawns at
  16. HoodenShuklak Augur

Reality hits ya hard bro.
  17. Deadlyblade New Member

if we could just lower spawn of duriek and marl to say 4 hours each due to the limited time window for kunark on mangler...... that should be fair... 4hours is reasonable.. and make lhranc a 7hr repop like the final cleric turn in npc in skyfire and be able to pick over to spawn him.... its only fair if its the same across epic final fights.
  18. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Why does it have to be fair?
  19. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

I skimmed through all comments up to this point and only saw one that actually mentioned anything about reducing the re-spawn timers. Lets see... original release dates for The Ruins of Kunark was 24APR2000...the release date for the Scars of Velious was 5DEC2000. Each of these expansions saw a lot of activity up until each new expansion came out and most, if not all, activity moved to the new areas leaving old zones vacant. My point in bringing up release dates is the approximate 7 months between Kunark and velious. There had to be a reason in calculating the spawn rates at the time back in 2000. Mangler and other Time-Locked Progression servers have 3 months... THREE MONTHS. Certainly, some consideration in getting timers reduced by roughly 50% from their original 2000 spawns to fit the time between release dates across ALL quests instead of using original spawns. More of the game could be experienced by more people per log in session instead of sitting at a spot for 15 minutes, 27 minutes, 45 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, and so on... Certainly some spawns will require a 1 hour or 4 hour or 1 day re-spawn as it would be cut in half if it were implemented... I may be reaching a bit much with all spawns being reduced by 50% but, it is a good idea to consider since these expansion are released so quickly.
  20. Febb Augur

Respawn rates were reduced for TLP servers. What they were reduced by, I don't know.