Quest Overlay - Background?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by HardyHairyfeet, Jun 20, 2019.

1. HardyHairyfeet New Member

I am really sorry if this has been brought up before, but I searched.... a lot. But I could be the only one that has this problem, or I am completely blind :)

In some zones the text on the overlay can be insanely hard to read. Zones with a lot of sand I pretty much have to look to the sky to see my next step in my quests.

I know I could just alt + q and check there, but I like the convenience of seeing all my quests in 1 area. I had even checked the EQ UI site to see if anyone made a background for it but I can't find anything. Am I blind? Alone in this? :p

Thank you.
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

It works the same as anyother chat window, just change the shading so when you mouse over it you can see it. or make its background perminant. :)
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Although I posted this back in Feb 2017 it should still hold but I am not getting any change to opacity now with the right click. I don't need to change mine as I just work around it by looking at something darker lol. Was just checking to see how it worked and it didn't!

This is from when it was first released: please note ******In addition to "/taskoverlay," you can show/hide the window using the EQ button or via a hotkey.*******

UI
    • Added the task overlay window. This window is on by default and its behavior is slightly different from other windows in the UI:
    • It defaults to 0% opacity. This can be changed using the right click menu.
    • It defaults to allowing clicks through. This can also be disabled using the right click menu.
    • The window is locked by default, preventing accidental moves.
    • You can click on task names to pop up and hide the full quest window.
    • In addition to "/taskoverlay," you can show/hide the window using the EQ button or via a hotkey.
    • Mouse scroll is active on the window to allow you to quickly scroll through your active and shown quests.
    • Tasks can be shown and hidden easily using the new checkboxes in the quest window.
    • Added some options for the task overlay window:
    • Automatically add new tasks to task overlay (defaulted to on).
    • Show only open steps for the task (defaulted to on).
    • Add most recent task to top (defaulted to off)
    These last 3 are what are under Options/general and have no effect on the entire window
    showing up.
    You have to go into options then keys to make the key to turn it off that way
  4. HardyHairyfeet New Member

Yea... that was the first thing I tried was changing everything with the right click menu, but all it changed was the border, it didn't give me a background at all.

Maybe some of us broke something if it works for some but not others? :p I use a custom UI but literally only the player window, that is it.
  5. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

Is it like the map where you have to turn on (I think? maybe off) the Texture flag for the background color to work?
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

No its not the custom Ui - the only thing I can change on my default UI is the alpha normal or faded and doesn't really do much and the background has tint and texture but does not change anything.
  7. HardyHairyfeet New Member

I have checked everything I could find. I wonder if there is a way to add a background in the XML file to customize it?
    CatsPaws likes this.
  8. HardyHairyfeet New Member

Well, I know almost nothing about XML, but with trial and error, I ungreyed out the background option and it is working :)

I opened the EQUI_TaskOverlayWnd.xml file with Wordpad and scrolled down the the section that says "<Screen item="TaskOverlayWnd">" (without the outside quotes, copy/paste this and use find).

Then down a few lines you will see <Style_Transparent>true</Style_Transparent>

Change it to false. And that worked for me. My background is now black.
  9. Mehregan New Member

Hello,

I am sorry for the necro posting but i have the same problem and i can't fix it. I did exactly as suggested above ( even got the file edited by someone, but it is over written each time i rerun the game so it's useless anyway )

I tried every option available but it is really hard for me to read. What can i do to fix this ?
    Thanks for your help.

https://ibb.co/gTKvgZw[IMG]
  10. Velisaris_MS Augur

If you modify one of the UI files, you need to put it in its own folder just like with any custom UI. Altered files in the main UI directory are read as corrupt when you start the game and a new versions are downloaded and replace the changed files.

With your edited file in a new directory, in game hit Alt+O, then hit the Load UI button and pick your new directory.
    Mehregan likes this.
  11. Mehregan New Member

Thank you so much ! My problem is solved :cool:
    Velisaris_MS likes this.