.001% whats the point?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Febb Augur

Bunch of drama queens overreacting as usual.

Thanks for adding this, it's been wanted for a loooooong time.
    Daedly and Skewert like this.
  2. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

People will moan and complain about anything. +1 to no longer having to mouse over XP bars on default to see the percentage. While it's disappointing mob health isn't at this time able to show .001 percentages, it's just fine to give us what could be done. Thanks Devs!
  3. Diptera Augur

Ironically, mousing over the guage shows the XP/AA percentages as integers, which is exactly what I want to see.

If they had created a new EQType for the high-precision version, then allowed the EQ client to round it and use the new number to populate EQTypes 26/27, it wouldn't have broken any existing UIs, and they could have pushed out a new default window with the 3dp version for those that wanted it. /shrug
  4. Leigo You come here often?

Open the properties on eqgame.exe and find DPI setting, uncheck it.. eq the will scale better to 4k
  5. Leigo You come here often?

See above
  6. Duder Augur

Whos this leigo guy? He doesn't even play EQ
  7. Skinwalker New Member

This is easily 1 of the easiest things to ignore in almost any patch I've ever seen.

This much crying about nothing proves how nitpicky those people really are.
  8. Skinwalker New Member

And nothing they patch will ever be "good nuff" for those players.

Why do y'all even play if this is literally all you do ?

Is there ANY games out there that actually makes y'all happy ??
  9. RPoo Augur

I dunno, I like it and am pretty freaking proud of myself for fixing my UI pieces to support the change after having not touching any code in 4-5 years.
  10. Lannin Elder

I love this change , wanted this for the past 15 + years , thanks !
  11. Chaosflux Augur

Is there a way to turn it off on your HP bar display? I like it everywhere else, but prefer the integer values for that. Less information to process at a glance there is good and it just looks awkward though that might just be my display.
  12. Diptera Augur

When they take something that had been requested (higher precision for MOB hp), determined they couldn't do it, then decided to do something different, in such a manner that it affects custom UIs (with no way to return them to their previous state), particularly when there were obvious, better ways to effect the change, then yes, people will be disgruntled.

Yes, custom UIs are not supported, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't think about them, given how atrocious the default UI is.
    Metanis and Yinla like this.
  13. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

A "use at your own risk" policy for custom UIs is totally fine. It's the easiest way to ensure they can make the changes they want without having to account for the limitless possibilities players are using outside the default setting.

I just don't see the benefit of this specific change outweighing the downsides of sending the data to the client, or the clumsy display of the output, or why it couldn't have just come with a toggle of some sort. If it's just a proof of concept for the change they want to make, leave it on Test.
    Caell and Nennius like this.
  14. Darkark Augur

I have to be honest, I was struggling to think of a way that this could possibly result in a 10x increase in traffic, so thanks Saroc.

That is truely a horrible way to send updates though. I guess the idea was to keep NPC max HPs a secret or something? Which seems kind of like a useless secret in my opinion.

That being said, I think it is fairly trivial to restrict the number of updates sent to only twice as often. We don't actually need 3 significant figures of precision (although that would be cool!), 2.1 significant figures is enough. Just send the updates at 99.5, 99.0, 98.5, etc.

This is enough information, between 2 NPCs, to balance them within 1%.
  15. niente Developer

Stat updates are ~30% of zone/client traffic (in a raid instance, for example). Doubling that amidst other zone lag issues would be not good. Most of the other traffic is movement.
    Axxius likes this.
  16. enclee Augur

Why not just eliminate the issue driving the need for 0.1 to 0.001% precision.
    Elyssanda and Caell like this.
  17. svann Augur

Is that why there is significantly more lag on Conflagrant Generals? Because it needs to update everyone when they are 0.5% out of balance?
  18. kizant Augur

It was a pretty common design concept in old MUDs to hide as much as possible from the player. Doing that makes it more difficult to figure out how to cheat the system but also some people think it makes the game more immersive. Both are pretty stupid reasons imo but it sure looked like early EQ took that 'hide everything' stance. I even remember being told in beta that the /loc command was only there for test purposes and would be removed on release. So anyway, it's not surprising that they're still having to undo some old bad decisions.

Also, what's more important to me, in this case, is that the data we see is more precise. It doesn't necessarily have to be updated any faster. Even at the old rate if you were to tell me that current HP is 95% vs 95.996% vs 95.001%. Obviously, the following two options help me much more than first with making a decision. Granted, they're more than likely working within an existing framework and only have limited options. We might be stuck with higher update rates to see the additional precision without a serious rework of the code.
  19. taliefer Augur

i really like the decimals, especially on the exp bars. its super helpful if you are trying out different places to kill different things. i also use default ui and play pretty much exclusively on progression servers tho.

but it raises the question, why not just tell us exactly how much exp we get per kill at this point?
    klanderso and Daedly like this.
  20. Karanthal Augur

I like it, I can no longer see how close I am to level because my XP % overlaps my AA % in the UI I use. Leveling is now a nice surprise when it happens rather than a grind watching the bar...
    BlueberryWerewolf likes this.