Kaesora DZ / AoC plz ....

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by SaPPeRs, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Xhartor Augur

Just ask whoever is camping to join the waiting list group/raid. In these group you should expect that people will leave after getting the fang, when new people show up you get them to join. We are only 2 week into Kunark so the I refuse to wait crowd is still keying their box/bot armies, they will clear out. The JCP in LOIO is far more of a poopfest then the fang, it's tradable so you have krono farmers out in force.
  2. Aneuren Tempered Steel

That was back on Phinigel though, and as I've noted, we all saw how that helped the server population. Making the game more accessible helps server population and stability. All of the naysayers who were against instancing raids said that it would destroy the classic experience, and yet Phinigel stands as proof that they were wrong by an overwhelming magnitude, at least by the numbers.

And as I've also noted, I am extremely thankful that our developer team cared so much for their players that, once the Daybreak Policy Makers (yes, you Holly) stopped claiming that "casuals shouldn't see Nagafen," they whipped up some excellent raid instances. I am sure they too have noticed what a beneficial impact that had on server population and stability. Really, hasn't everyone by now? Does anyone really believe that letting players dump on other players is actually good for this game?

Machen, you're one of the quickest to point out during any discussion how important it is to have a stable revenue stream for Daybreak when making any developer decisions. What's your honest take here? Are you worried that the potential decrease in krono sales from instanced content would not outweigh the player retention that accompanies changes that improve game accessibility for a broader audience? Are you concerned that fully instanced content might hurt the also-popular drive for a non-Truebox server? I've considered these implications and more, but I still feel passionately that making content more broadly accessible for a wider audience is a good thing for this player base, not a bad one. I am interested in your take on the matter.
  3. Machentoo Augur

My honest take is that the work of instancing all group content is a monumental taking, one which Daybreak does not have the ability to pull off with current resources. I think in theory it would be great. When it was first proposed for raids to be instanced, I was dead set against it, but I have come around completely through the experience on Phinigel. With group content, though, I think if they start instancing small parts of dungeons, if they do partial instancing, players will become dissatisfied that they didn't do a lot more, and it might create more problems than it solves.

I also see a danger in a very narrow selection of instanced content being available, so players are effectively forced into two or three camps for uninterrupted xping. I saw what happened when the Old Man Mackenzie missions were first released, fully instanced XP with great xp returns and loots, restricted to two (very repetitive) zones. And that was all anyone wanted to do for a year, and the player base largely got incredibly sick of them (but still did them, as a tedious labor, because it was way better than the alternatives.)

Personally, I think a fully-instanced non Truebox server would be far superior to an open world only non Truebox server. Let people eighteen box their own thing out of sight of other people, who cares? Daybreak profits, we all can do content however we want, it's a win/win.
    Aneuren likes this.
  4. Aneuren Tempered Steel

I agree with everything you have here for the virtues of instancing and non-Truebox. I do also agree that instancing pretty much everything would be a monumental undertaking, but feel that that we shouldn't allow perfection (all content) to be the enemy of any improvements at all.

I was genuinely curious about the financial aspect, since you do pay a great deal of attention to those details.
  5. Machentoo Augur

I didn't comment on it, directly, because I think it would be very hard to accurately predict the results. Full instancing of group content is a different animal than full instancing of raid content. With raid content, even in your own instance, raiding is still a very social engagement. With full instancing of group content, for non raiders, you effectively end any social interaction at all, and raiders would be restricted to socializing only within their guilds. I know for many boxers, in many ways this is already the case (especially in later content where instances are prevalent.) But even on Ragefire or Fippy, we still had to interact with each other at times in the open world to get stuff done. I really don't know if it would be a net positive or negative financially for Daybreak to eliminate that. It could end up being wildly popular (like Phinigel) and more than make up for any lost krono sales. It could also end up wiping out the social fabric that is so important to the game altogether, resulting in an initial surge but a long term drop in subs.

I think in this case, it's more of a game health issue than a strictly financial issue--if the game is healthy, and I mean long-term healthy, not just "let's push out a great server that players will flock to for the next six to twelve months," I think that is going to ultimately be very lucrative for Daybreak. I do worry that they may not be aiming for long term gain and may be thinking on that six to twelve month horizon. A whole lot of their decisions in the last two or three years lead me to think they are chasing next quarter's profits.
    Gana and Aneuren like this.
  6. Aneuren Tempered Steel

Good chat bro, thank you.
    Machentoo likes this.
  7. suineg Lorekeeper

Literally asking for a DZ for a duo or trio mob that is in contention for about 3 weeks of an expansion ....

Just people that wanted the "slow pace" classic server things!!!
  8. Tierdal Augur

welcome to classic, selos is open