Question on boxing.

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Sandy100, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Sandy100 Elder

I have two computer screen but I box three characters. I am trying to get from one character to the other, but I seem to have a hard time. I mouse over the EQ icon at the bottom of the screen, and it shows a thumbnail picture of what each character is seeing, but I can't always tell who is who. Thus, I can't seem to go from one character screen to the next quickly and flawlessly. There has to be an easier and quicker way of accomplishing this. What are you boxing doing?
  2. Ghubuk Augur

Always load your characters in the same order. That way you know which icon is for which toon.
    I has a bucket likes this.
  3. Scorrpio Augur

I do not use boxing software, my setup is like this:
    2 screens, but one is a 32" 4K. Two windows are on that screen, partially overlapped. Primary character on its own dedicated screen. One of overlapped characters is just a 'hit a pair of macros every fight'

One option to entertain is to fiddle with UI so each character has a distinct UI element.
    Petalonyx likes this.
  4. I has a bucket New Member

This is how I do it. I don't know if Windows has a way to let you rearrange windows in the task bar (I think I tried dragging with no luck). Make sure you don't have them clustered together. I don't remember what the option is called, but you want to just be able to click the button for a window on the taskbar and switch immediately, not have to dig through a list.

After a while you get familiar with which character is in a particular position. Only downside is the occasional crash, but I don't have very many of those with 4-boxing.
  5. Karanthal Augur

I go with 1 account full screen the other 2 50% of the second screen each (vertical split). Bard gets a full screen so I can see better for pulling/cc, mage and druid on the other 2 as they are mostly 1-2 button presses. I used to do a single screen with alt-tab, its not actually that bad once you get into a pattern, but its definitely easier being able to see all 3.
  6. Corash New Member

I am using Windows 7 and have 7 installs of EQ, 1 for each each account. This way if I get a crash and have to reload a client, I can drag the icon from the toolbar to get it to the right spot for alt tabbing to the correct accounts. I do only use a single screen though.
  7. Vinjin Lorekeeper

I always load my three accounts up in the same order so it's easy to remember which account is which. Rarely though, such as when one account crashes, I have to load it back up "out of sequence". However, Windows 10 allows you to simply drag the window on the taskbar around to whatever order I want. Works great.
  8. Kurage_of_Luclin Augur

I used windowed EQ and Alt tab fast , with social hot buttons with delays for spell casts set up for my box. I do most of the work with my main and only alt tab over on my box to start the spell chain cycle.
  9. I has a bucket New Member

Do you have any taskbar setting enabled that lets you do this? I just tried it with four EQ windows open, but it drags all four of them at the same time. I can rearrange my EQ windows relative to other programs, like Steam, but not individual EQ windows.
  10. Vinjin Lorekeeper

That's odd. I don't have any specific setting in Windows that enables it. Perhaps it has something to do with the game client?

I have all of my sessions in windowed mode. Instead of choosing a specific video mode resolution, I manually resized the windows by dragging it to the size I wanted, which naturally takes up the full screen down to the taskbar. Then the three sessions are overlayed on top of each other. Not sure if that makes sense or not.
  11. bigpapa Augur

I am using win 7 as well, but when ( if ) I got a client to crash and need to reload it , it is going to my 5th spot ( I am playing 5 ), but when I try to drag him to the spot I want it to be , I just can't drag it .

is there a setting under win 7 to let us being able to drag the eq icon on taskbar where we want it?
  12. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

They are using Windows 10 to do that not Windows 7. Perhaps that is the difference?
  13. bigpapa Augur

well corash said he can drag the icon on taskbar with win 7 ....

14. I has a bucket New Member

I'm doing the same actually. On Windows 10 as well. I can't do it with other programs either, such as Steam. If I try to move one of my Steam windows (friends list, store page, or an individual chat) it moves all of them at the same time. Hard to find anything specific to this as well, because if I try to search for something like "ungrouping a window in windows 10" I get a bunch of pages of articles about the feature that makes multiple windows from the same program into one button on the task bar, which I've already turned off. I have multiple buttons (one for each window), but I couldn't find any way to stop them from being grouped together when dragging.

Edit: I'm not actually running EQ through Steam, I just have Steam running in the background while playing.
  15. Petalonyx Augur

I alt tab box 4.

As someone above mentioned, setting up unique UI elements on each helps a lot. I color coded the window backgrounds to different color on each character. It works great (I know which is which even on the small screen preview when I alt tab).
  16. Corash New Member

This is for Windows 7, it may be the same for 8 and 10 but I have no idea. Perhaps someone that uses either of those OS's could clarify please.

I have 7 EQ's, Box 1 to 7, You need multiple installs to be able to swap the windows around on the task bar. Also, right click on a blank part of the taskbar at the bottom of the screen and then left click of properties. The taskbar and start menu properties window will pop open. Find the taskbar buttons drop down box and select Never Combine. This will allow you to rearrange the tabs 1 at a time.

You can either install EQ multiple times or the fastest way, install once and then copy the folder and paste it however many you want before renaming each.

I have a 250 GB SSD with 135 GB free space still to play with. I only have EQ on it.

I hope this helps.
  17. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This is right on the money. If you launch each instance from it's own folder, you can reorganize the taskbar however you see fit. Bear in mind, if a patch or hotfix is rolled out, you have to patch each folder individually.
  18. Indian New Member

for windows 10, right click on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen.
    scroll down to the middle of the new window and look for: Combine taskbar buttons.
    click that and select...Never.
  19. Aneia Master

I play two accounts, so, I primarily use alt+tab. However, I also use WinEQ2, which improves performance when running multiple sessions. In WinEQ2 you can assign global keyboard hotkeys to switch to a specific session. This is useful when running more than two accounts because, as you noticed, it's difficult to differentiate between the sessions running.
  20. 20yearhiatus New Member

I run 3 tabs on one 17" laptop screen and cycle through them with the mouse, not even alt-tabbing. Not the most efficient system but gets the job done. Running a SK,ENC,WIZ with 2 rog mercs and a healer merc. Will hit 85 this wknd or next week. I'll try to do at least one gribbles quest per day with LotD.