Reason Wine isn't allowed to play?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by TSylvermane, Jun 18, 2019.

1. TSylvermane New Member

I recently discovered EQ was still running. I had played almost 20 years ago. Over time I've drifted on computers. Currently I happily run Linux. I read something somewhere that VMs and Wine are not allowed to play the game and one can be banned for doing so. I will admit that I have had the game running in Wine before I found that.

My question. Why is Wine not allowed? Assuming what I read is correct, Does this only apply to progression servers? I know they have special rules. Is it allowed just not supported? That I would understand.

I really want to come back to this game but running Windows 10 is basically anathema to me. Dual boot is an irritation at best so I'm torn.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

3. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Wine isn't a VM. It's almost certainly fine. It's things like Parallels, VMWare, Virtualbox that are not be allowed. But as CatPaws says, you're not going to get a dev answer for it. From the Wine web page:

Wine (originally an acronym for "Wine Is Not an ") is a compatibility layer capable of running Windows applications on several POSIX-compliant operating systems, such as Linux, macOS, & BSD. Instead of simulating internal Windows logic like a virtual machine or , Wine translates Windows API calls into POSIX calls on-the-fly, eliminating the performance and memory penalties of other methods and allowing you to cleanly integrate Windows applications into your desktop.

Edit: Really? That's is a censored word? LOL. You can look up the "bad word"... winehq.org.
  4. TSylvermane New Member

Okay thank you. I read the link and Smokezz post. Seems it's ok... until they change it. So will see what happens. I will stay on Debian for the time being. Appreciate the quick responses.
  5. Warpeace Augur

Maybe PM Mepps the senior community manager? I don't think they will give you an answer but hopefully they can point you to someone that officially will or can.
  6. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

DBG bans virtual machines because they allow players to do things that DBG can't police, like run multiple clients and cheat programs. WINE allows the same thing, so I don't see why DBG would make an exception for it.

But as others have said, until DBG says otherwise, it seems to be allowed.