Nerf Mearates (Now)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by ShadowMan, Mar 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cicelee Augur

I am going to go on a limb and say that no one cares about a make believe asterisk that some players want to put after another guild's first win. If it makes some players in those guilds that have already won feel that they have a bigger epeen, then yay for those players. At the end of the day, players in raiding guilds will be happy with the wins and gear that they have obtained regardless of whether they killed Mearatas in April or September.
  2. Allayna Augur

Someone said it earlier, UEE was the unifying raid that actually has guilds congratulating and collaborating with each other.
  3. Cicelee Augur

I agree. What I disagree with is this "asterisk". As if to invalidate a guild's accomplishments and achievements just because they did not win the ultra super hard version.

At the end of the day, no one cares... or should care. If Joe is in a guild that gets its first win on Mearatas in July, does that mean Joe is not allowed to join a ROI or MS? Joe could be exceptional at his class, he is just in a guild that struggles with <insert reason or excuse>. I would hope not, especially if Joe has the skills and talents.

Players who raid in the top 20 guilds know who the "best" guilds are. They have five plus years of expansions to give them a general idea. Sure there is some variation between the final raid completion, but players know. No need to demean those who did not (or cannot) defeat Mearatas with an "asterisk" just cause someone wants to feel more leet than others...
    Thrillho and Mintalie like this.
  4. Allayna Augur

The asterisk like the actual “race” are not aspects of the game itself, but something we the players have created. The asterisk is from EGL rankings for those not following.
    Lisard likes this.
  5. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

As someone who's had "Asterisk" wins in the past, yes, it does matter to some of us, there's regret attached. Didn't intimate my own feelings about anyone else getting one or pre-demean them for not beating it prenerf, didn't really say anything other than to point out that's 100% how any win post nerf will be viewed by a lot of people, it's just a fact. Sorry. One last week to get a "hardmode" version win under the belts of those who desire one
  6. Mintalie Augur

The only reason the asterisk exists is because there are a lot of people who do care. I kind of get it. I know I'll feel more satisfaction if I win before a nerf.

However, at the end of the day, a win is a win is a win.
  7. Lisard Silly

I think the asterisk has merrit. for example. those good players, will look at that list...where do you think those good players will go...surely not the guilds below the asterisk.

just look what happen to Crimson Tempest....where did those players all go? exactly.

but on the other side of that token. is your guild beating the content? cool! who cares about asterisks or how late into an expansion something was beaten by people who pulled together, focused up, and gave everything they had to overcome a literal Guild Destroying Mechanic, even if that mechanic was removed and now everyone will easily stroll in, fail every emote, die a million times and still be able to open the chest. everyones happy. perhaps this should be a new trend. the first 6 months leave the broken op stupid hard content in....then 6 months in absolutely gut the living out of the event so everyone can beat it.

the asterisk may have been player created to add a competitive factor to the game. but its for those competitive guilds/players that it matters. /shrug
    Endaar, Sancus and Spellfire like this.
  8. Brohg Augur

I'm happy for wins. That beta testers get "paid" with a no-asterisk win seems fair compensation to me as long as EverQuest ends up with functional, flavorful events. Everyone show of hands please if you beat the double-DT version of Emperor Ssraeshza ? mine's up. congrats to us. now SIT THE EFF DOWN if you think the raid should have stayed like that.
  9. Allayna Augur

You think mearatas was beta tested, that’s cute.
  10. Nudia Augur

We beta tested it but it wasn't working nearly well enough to give full feedback.
    Axxius and Cailen like this.
  11. Maedhros High King

Around 1:42:45 or so we had a Breeze Sentinel sneak into the amphitheater and I was able to get a Dissident Force on it to stop it in its tracks before it could take those last few steps.
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/436882972
    I believe after this change, that sentinel would have got through to the end.

Losing the ability to momentarily halt the various sentinels means they will reach the center faster. We'll see how much of an effect that has, but at the very least I think the people handling sentinels are going to have a much harder time now.

It will be interesting to see how much the mephits are getting their dmg output reduced, hopefully it is a small percentage and not an upright neutering. This is the direction I advocated for a change and I definitely support that, as long as the mephits are still some degree of a challenge.

Even with the couple of changes, one being in the more difficult direction, and two in the less challenging direction, I don't think this is going to even remotely become a loot pinata that guilds waltz in and beat on their first night of raiding it... unless of course their raid leaders have been doing their homework on twitch and these threads and taking notes.

I appreciate that the devs, especially Prathun has handled the tuning on this raid in a less heavy handed fashion than we have seen sometimes in the past. Several tuning phases for an extremely difficult final raid over the course of 4 or 5 months seems like a winning strategy for just about everyone involved.

As far as asterisks go, there have always been lines for each mob on EGL that designate a change, and any additional guilds that beat an event after that point are falling under that line. It's up to the players to interpret the size and level of adjustment of tuning or nerfs on an event to determine how big of a deal each "asterisk" is.
    The first tuning to Mearatas was very slight, I think this one being a bit heavier is justified.
  12. Brohg Augur

The final version hasn't even made it to Live servers yet. Dunno what you call playing through an event still in active development, but I'd be happy to use your choice of words.
  13. Someone Apprentice

I think you would have needed to be consistently hitting 25% and below prior to the initial nerf to really weigh in on this :)

The first nerf was significant and allowed raid teams with your handful of "you know who" players to join the fun as long as they stayed away from the cure button (lol).

This final tweak will allow raid teams with 2-3 handfuls of your "you know who" players to enjoy the expansion completion.
    Jondalar likes this.
  14. Maedhros High King

I beg to differ.
    On the first nerf, the number one most difficult part of the event that has been the massive hurdle for nearly every guild to get passed, the chaos of 25% was hardly changed at all.
    Pretty much the definition of slight.
  15. Allayna Augur

Wasn’t the first nerf the reduction in number of mephits, frequency of mephits per wave and the reduction in number of banes required to kill? In addition to the increase in time between spawns of sentinels and mephits? Hardly slight, but not a large enough nerf to make a top 10 list.
    Axxius and Sancus like this.
  16. Someone Apprentice

Ha! Thank you for proving my post. Kind of a beautiful thing. I am not trying to start anything here, it is just from an observation of a raider that actually experienced 25% and below many times with the original Live version.

The chaos at 25% was precisely what was reduced in the initial nerf.
  17. Maedhros High King

What was changed about the hallway marks on the first nerf? Nothing. What was changed about the poison hitting? Nothing. Maybe mephits and sentinels is what was killing your crew the most at 25%, but I think 99% of the difficulty surrounding 25% pertains to the hallway mark. I'm pretty sure you know that if you had so much experience on this event.
  18. Mintalie Augur

Aha, the secret to success.

Only it's been six months. So are you suggesting it should have been retuned for a second time back in April?

If so, I vehemently agree. While not everyone in the eight guilds who have yet to win will agree with me, I'm willing to bet that the vast majority do.
  19. Sancus Augur

No, it hasn’t. RoI, the first guild to be flagged for T3, reached this raid on February 5th, four months ago. Most guilds have had access to this raid for less than four months.

Counting months from the start of an expansion when the raid isn’t available then makes little sense.
  20. Mintalie Augur

Fair point. Wasn't intended to be misleading.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.