Would you play on a cloud server?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Candystore, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Machentoo Augur

This is just not true. I've personally written a program that has done this with another mmo.

You don't need a bot to be able to do everything a player can do, just respond to limited and specific factors.
    Nessirfiti likes this.
  2. Candystore Augur

In theory it is possible, but that would require AI with similar intelligence of an adult human being.

We are still only at the early stages of cars being able to drive between two lines. What those programs are doing is rather simple, they are just staying between two lines.

Being able to play an MMO is a whiles off. Maybe in 2040 robots will have human-like intelligence, who knows.
  3. Candystore Augur

You have written a program that plays an MMO by interpreting what it sees on a screen? Amazing if true. Do show.
  4. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

The idea you need the intelligence of an adult human being to play Everquest seems directly contradicted by a large number of the posts on these forums.
  5. Candystore Augur

lol, well

The best AI on the planet currently has similar intelligence to a 4 to 6-year-old.

Which makes sense, they can interpret language but still make many mistakes. They can keep a car between two lines, they can recognize humans and separate humans from objects. But they probably can't play an MMO.

This is the best case scenario with massive servers though, regular people don't have access to that kind of AI.

[IMG]
    https://arxiv.org/abs/1709.10242
  6. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

I think you are grossly overestimating how complex a script needs to be in order to competently play an MMO from 20 years ago.
    Fraggly likes this.
  7. Aurastrider Augur

I am not a big fan of heights so probably not unless the clouds were close to the ground. Besides I weigh way to much for a cloud to support me. Open air gaming would literally be a breath of fresh air so there is that advantage. We would also have to consider what kinds of clouds these are. Rain and snow clouds would probably be bad for my computer. Also what would be your solution for a lightning strike? All of that extra electricity would be very bad for my computer and my health I am sure. Overall I think I will stick to my mancave for gaming.
    Nennius likes this.
  8. Candystore Augur

It would be very difficult if all you have is the video feed.

Take something as simple as judging the distance to a mob. (let's forget about even recognizing mobs).

We judge distance because we sort of know how far we are away from something. We judge a mob's distance by comparing it to the building behind it, by looking at the grass below it, by looking at mobs in between. We know if the mob is a rabbit, how large it is supposed to be, and how far it probably is.

This is not just easy to program.

And even humans aren't perfect at this, it's quite common to not know if you are in aggro range of raid mobs due to their odd size.
  9. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

It would be fairly trivial, assuming your program is adept at registering the text output by scanning the video output, to have it increment toward the mob when it reads "Your target is too far away".

It doesn't have to measure distance directly at all.
  10. Candystore Augur

You can't just run up to mobs with attack on in a world. You would just draw aggro from everything. You need to be able to judge distances.

Bot programs get those distances because EQ sends them over to the client, with a cloud game you no longer have access to that data.
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

He's a non-programmer tinkering in Python. I tend to agree that analyzing pixels in real time isn't viable, though.
  12. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

Having to clear to a camp instead of warping to it seems to be the most trivial problem and not one that will prevent botting in the least.
  13. Accipiter Old Timer

You are seriously out of touch with what's happening with self-driving cars.
  14. Candystore Augur

It cost carmakers a decade of analyzing billions of images, people filling in millions of Google captchas (even used on this site when logging in), before computers had even the slightest idea what the visual difference between a car and a human was.

Even after a decade of research, Tesla cars still decapitate its drivers thinking that the space under a truck is an open road.

[IMG]
  15. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

That ten-year step doesn't need to be repeated every time someone wants to make an AI that can analyze video.

Tesla's cars fail because they use cheap and inadequate tech in order to put a car on the road for publicity. They were fully aware of the limitations of what they were using, and they could have used better, but they didn't because they want to be first to market.
  16. Machentoo Augur

No, it doesn't.

Reading the UI elements alone would give you 80% of what bots today can do in Everquest. You can move about in game using nothing but the compass and /loc, and it is pretty easy to use OCR to read the results of /loc. You have extended target now for interacting with mobs. You probably aren't going to be able to script a full group of melees, that kind of movement precision would be difficult. But a group of mages or enchanters, with a cleric for heals, absolutely. Pulling would be the hardest part, but if you know what mobs can spawn in the area, /targ and pet pulling would get the job done.
  17. Machentoo Augur

Unfortunately the game no longer exists, it was for vanguard. So I can't show it in action. But here's a snippet of code:

Code:
    Func CheckComps()
        $coord = PixelSearch( 450, 150, 750, 190, 0xFF0000, 10 )
        If Not @error Then
            HandleComplication()
        EndIf
    EndFunc

Func CheckSection()
        $coord = PixelSearch( 450, 150, 750, 190, 0xFFFFFF, 10 )
        If @error Then
            Return 0;
        EndIf
        Return 1;
    EndFunc

Func StationOne()
        MouseClick("left", 575+Random(1,25,1), 395+Random(1,25,1))
        Sleep(300)
        MouseClick("left", 645+Random(1,25,1), 505+Random(1,25,1))
        Sleep(2600 + Random(1,100,1))
        CheckComps()
    EndFunc

Func ToolOne()
        MouseClick("left", 615+Random(1,25,1), 395+Random(1,25,1))
        Sleep(300)
        MouseClick("left", 645+Random(1,25,1), 505+Random(1,25,1))
        Sleep(2600 + Random(1,100,1))
        CheckComps()
    EndFunc

18. Accipiter Old Timer

Like I said, you are seriously out of touch with what's happening with self-driving cars.

And just because it has to be said, human drivers kill way more people than do self-driving cars car-for-car.
  19. Nessirfiti Augur

You've never heard of Emulators I take it?

no, it super wouldn't. There's a program written waaay back for asherons call that's so simple it can be told to look for certain colors on certain parts of the screen, and when it sees those it runs a subroutine based on what the color it is and where it is. It's primitive compared to the programs out there today, but It's doable and not nearly as hard as you think.

You keep making these posts and are constantly proven wrong. Maybe it's time to quit?
  20. modsiw Augur

Image classification is difficult in the real world because nothing ever looks the same. Simulated worlds are so much more consistent. You don't even need image classification. But if you did, it'd be easy to train a neural net for it. Gamers already have the necessary hardware. Captcha labels images so they can be used as a training set. In a simulated world, you don't need a bunch of chimps clicking the images with a fire hydrant for eons. You can generate already labeled images that contain or do not contain what you're looking for to use as a training set. Once trained, using the NN isn't computationally intensive.

Lets take doing any original AI work off the table:
    Legit macroing supported by EQ is quite powerful. A lot can be done by ignorantly spamming a key. With coordinated key spam and no input from the game, it's trivial to run a CH rot, debuff, DPS...

People would still need log files or EQ would be substantially changed. Parsing and responding to these log files with a key press or mouse click is about as difficult as freshman project for a CS student.

Without log files, you'll still be able to see the text in game. One could image grab a line of text, OCR it, and respond.

One can write simple algorithms that respond to a pixel changing color. This doesn't require any sort of AI. When the pixel at 50% of bob's health bar turns from red to black, type /target bob<return>/cast 1<return>.

The software to do the non-AI stuff above, sans OCR integration, already exists.