Would you play on a cloud server?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Candystore, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Candystore Augur

Cloud gaming is where the server hosts all the files and just streams the game to you in the form of a video feed.

One of the benefits is that it makes hacking impossible because the user doesn't have any file on their PC they can mess or interact with.

Would you want to play EQ on a cloud server if it removed all the hacking?
  2. KermittheFroglok Augur

No, EQ’s requirements are so low that latency in the video stream would probably do more harm than good for me in terms of play experience. There really isn’t any noticeable “hacking” on EQ because most things already occur serverside. Botting wouldn’t be solved by this because they would probably just script inputs into the cloud client. In brief, doesn’t solve botting, no hacking problem to solve, most systems can already run EQ, so after considering that... why would you want cloud EQ?
  3. Moege Augur

No.

1. It would drive my bandwidth bill through the roof. Latency would make it impossible for me to play.
    2. Forget gina triggers / gameparse. No longer being able to study log files to find out why that one person is doing better dps.
    3. Extra subscription for this cloud service
    ajschliewe and Endaar like this.
  4. Candystore Augur

Did you mean botting or boxing. The botting would be solved since botting software requires access to local files that gather location data. Those files aren't accessible anymore to users on a cloud platform, all the user gets is a video stream, which is useless for botting.

Boxing would still be possible (that is if the developer allowed it). But all the shady software surrounding it that people use wouldn't work anymore.
  5. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

I would have zero interest in cloud-based streaming of EQ.

Especially not simply because it might reduce botting.
  6. AntonJohn New Member

Yes but only if it was a team based no-rules progression pvp server, then I would play on it.
  7. Derresh Augur

A cloud server wouldn't do anything against a simple keyboard macro spamming /pet attack. Could probably even develop a pixel based bot that just reads the cloud video stream and inputs bot commands based on what it sees or something.
  8. Candystore Augur

right, it wouldn't, every half decent gaming mouse allows you to spam click a button all day if that's what you want to do
  9. Candystore Augur

if you can develop AI that is so intelligent that it understands what goes on in EQ from a video stream and is able to react to it in real-time, you should ask IBM for a job

(or alternatively take over the world with your robot)

the best AI has done so far is analyze a chess game from a video feed

there's been plenty of AI running around in shooters and so forth, but they have access to game data of course, they're not analyzing a video

that's not to say that AI won't ever grasp EQ, but we're a ways off from robots understanding video games, we can barely make a car follow the white line on a road without killing its passengers
  10. Derresh Augur

There was one in SWToR that botted the space missions just using small pixel images of the buttons and such that it needed to click. Every attempt to thwart hackers/botters has failed. Personally I think cloud gaming wont be hack free either. People are good at finding ways to be lazy.
  11. Candystore Augur

Never played the game. Is the game so simplistic that you can advance by just looking at a button and ignore everything else?
  12. Derresh Augur

For the space missions, pretty much. All I'm saying is bots will be possible on cloud gaming, maybe not as sophisticated as an injected bot or one that using game files, But it will without a doubt in my mind be possible.
  13. Accipiter Old Timer

14. Nessirfiti Augur

lol. There have been macro tools out for years that read the screen.

Cloud gaming is awful for the consumer. at least as we have now we have a digital copy of the game so we can keep playing after they shut the servers down.

Why do you hate the consumer?
  15. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Someone testing Uber's new system?

At least it only hit a tree not a person. :rolleyes:
  16. KermittheFroglok Augur

No I meant BOTTING, there are other ways to script bots. Cannot discuss on forums, not helping the cheaters if this ever the way EQ went.
  17. Candystore Augur

show me some
  18. Candystore Augur

How are you playing EQ without a server?
  19. Candystore Augur

It's a nice try of him, but he can't keep the car between two lines. We're a long way off from anyone being able to analyze a game feed.

The best IBM has done so far is analyze a chess game feed, and they needed a gigant server to do it.

AI that can play an MMO by watching a stream, would need to have the same intelligence of a human.
  20. Machentoo Augur

No, it doesn't. That's how current bot programs work, but It is quite possible to create a program that can scan and interpet a video feed and respond accordingly.