Returning Beastlord

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Jujin, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Jujin New Member

Does anyone have a video or guide to steer a returning Beastlord that was boosted to heroic? I read through the guide from the forum post about heroic BLs, but most of the terminology is hard to understand.

From one of the posts with the guys UI, it seems spell gems aren't even shown. All the melee skills are... For the better part...macro'd and buttons are mashed. Alt+1 goes though some skills and cycles through consecutive memorized spells using the buttons menu, but I was hoping to get a buff spell set, an active spell set with slow, nukes / dots... Then one for buffing.

If this is a mad alt+button smash fest, I'm afraid I may not want to play eq1 anymore. Other games do it better. I was looking for a slower pace game to enjoy and make gaming friends again, not just another cookie cutter, carpal tunnel...maniac button fest.

I suspect I need a buff set list. No stranger to that. But I need 3 bars of macros and then an active spell set? as well as a spell set to rebuff? I had a fellow BL help me with the buff set, but dds, dots and pet procs for active playing... There are too many to track at 6000 AAs.

And basic guides l to reintroduce a 10 year absence player get the basics to start learning the ropes? My BL was 55 when he was heroic'd... At least 5 years ago.

Give a hand to a fellow beastie?

Jujin and Therwulf - Cazic
    Jujin is heroic, Therwulf was made to go over general gameplay
  2. Ezbro Elder

It IS a smash buttons game now. Beastlords are a very busy class that is always casting and buffing pet and so on. Not a char class for you it would seem.
  3. Waldagar Augur

4. Jujin New Member

Thanks Waldagar. I'll bookmark that page and may revisit when I pick my heart up off the floor from the impossibility of the class.

As far as button smashing goes...

What a shame and a waste of a game / class. Multi-button mash-fest (read: Macros) on a 20 year game is just depressing. Let's remove the idea of more interesting spells, and make more of them. Constantly hammering spells must be the key to engaging gameplay in MMOs these days.

I leveled a BL to 40, and that's fun. Limited spell gems so you can make strategic choices, but throw the baby out with the bathwater post 80-85. Now we can have 6 buttons (3x3, batched by skill and "synergy" of lack of better term) that we can mindless smash.

The game is made for boxing now, I guess. I can either play the BL and enjoy class ethos until I get bombarded with non-sense busy skills, or I can make the same 3-6 macros, binding waaay too many AAs and skills together. I'd love to see a video of a BL playing from the UI view, but it'd likely look like Warcraft with people tapping macro buttons until their fingerbones crumble.

Not class enjoyment when you compare it to the base levels of the game for the BL. Is mashing ALT buttons really that enjoyable DBG? Gone are the days of paced and relaxed gameplay....

Jujin.
    Ezbro likes this.
  5. Bumkus Elder

Jujin, i get that it can be overwhelming. i'm feeling that as i try to learn Shadowknight. Dont get discouraged. take it is small bites. Just work what work and add as you go. Everything is a work in process. if you need help setting up multibind for your spells, send me a tell in game.
  6. Brohg Augur

Running a multibind is no different than spamming a Kick button in the day, it just accomplishes somewhat more.
  7. smash Augur

A number of some powers been easier, because can use autoskill, unfortunate some of them gone through a nerf using kick skill resulted in less damage.

But bst is a whack o mole class, which is hard on keyboard.

But bst can achieve greater damage by selecting which powers and other order than mindlessly pressing 1 spam key.

Done that and got a 10% increase.
  8. Skewert Lorekeeper

This is what I have done with my BL from 85 to 90 (started at heroic in the past month, and he's at 90 now). This is for solo play (without a merc), where pet tanks and I melee/heal pet:

Make sure pet has buff that procs DD and Prism Skin (Spirit of ...), Incomparable Velocity (pet haste and haste for you too), Neivr's Protection, Focus on pet and you. I also carry around a healer merc for cleric buffs on me and pet. Make sure your other buffs are on you and pet (+hp/atk, ferocity, hp/mana regen, etc.). Also, I really like the Friendly Pet line of spells on the pet, as it heals a great deal as when the pet is the target, it simply heals itself. Really great heal/mana ratio (best in the lineup, I believe). Also make sure you have Pact of the Wurine on, and pet has Taste of Blood and Hobble of Spirits (snare proc).

I usually have pet "guard" (/pet guard) at a pull spot, and I pull mobs just past pet and generally let them hit me once before I send pet in (so mob is between me and pet - I will be hitting the mob's back, as will swarm pets, to avoid mobs ripostes/dodges, and to do more damage). I pull with slow generally, and cast an instant cast dot (poison) or two (+disease) on the way to pull spot. Once pet is engaged, I engage with auto-attack, and generally cast the promised mending spell first, immediately followed by the Feralgia line (the one that gives growl to you and pet + casts swarm pet). I then cast Chameleon Strike for the damage and to lower my aggro, then I alternate generally between Eagle Strike (for Bite of the Asp), and Tiger Claw (for Raven's Claw ATK debuff). Depending on the mob (if it doesn't die particularly quickly), when it gets to about 50%, I will cast the "... at the Moon" swarm pet (since I don't need to recast Feralgia at this point, as Growl is still going) again. I throw in a Maelstrom or two if necessary as well. I have round kick on /autoskill.

I try to cast Focused Paragon of Spirit on myself every time in refreshes to help with mana reserves. The way I do that is hit tab, which targets me, quickly hit the AA hotkey, then hit tab again and I'm back targeting the mob and have the hp/mana regen going on me. I throw in Paragon of Spirits whenever it pops as well (it will overwrite Focused Paragon though, so try not to waste either) mainly just for the mana regen.

I use Roar of Thunder (the AA) if I'm struggling to drop aggro for some reason (make sure pet taunt is on!), or for named mobs. Also, I will throw in Promised Recovery each time it wears off (set an audio trigger for its wear off message, and also do that for Friendly Pet as well) if the pet actually needs that much healing. Often just Friendly Pet will keep the pet up and near full health most of the time, unless it's a particularly hard-hitting mob (named, etc.).

There's a number of "oh $%^&" moment AAs like Mend Companion, and some defensive ones for yourself as well, but those don't get used much in a typically controlled pulling situation.

This may sound like a lot, but after some time it becomes second nature, and like a routine. It's what works for me, not sure if anybody else would like to critique anything I do.

To add: I don't use any multibinds or macros. I just use shift+2 or whatever number of hotkey page I need to get to, and try to organize each page to be related to damage, personal defense, pet defense, etc. Page 1 is stuff I use on most every mob. I have slot 11 & 12 for my 2 mouse thumb buttons, slot 10 for mouse wheel, #8 and 9 with shfit + corresponding mouse thumb button, and I use 1-7 with my left hand. I hold down right-click on mouse and then strafe around mob for positioning and to look up or down (or anywhere).

Mage-summoned pet armor, weapons, etc., make a hugely noticeable difference in how effective your pet is at tanking.