What's with the auto-exiting?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Haole808, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Haole808 New Member

I don't know how new this is, only came back 10 days or so ago from a months-long break, but every time I camp and alt tab to browse the web (because who wants to stare at their character sitting for 30 seconds?), rather than going to the character select screen the game process just ends itself. If I *do* keep the client window active, it goes to the character select screen no problem. So is there a setting to stop the auto-client closure while tabbed out? I don't remember it doing this before.

Side note: on Mangler, I just gated in Paineel from the bank to the newbie yard, and the client closed itself. Just an intra-zone gate, wasn't even tabbed out. And now there's an eight-mintue queue to get back in. fml
  2. Kukaw Augur

This has been happening to me for about a month and a half. My box computer (old laptop) hasn't ever done it before, but my main machine does it almost every other time.
    It has a Geforce-1060 that gets updates about every 3 weeks and about the last 6 weeks it does what yours is doing.

My drivers and all that are all up to date, so I don't have a clue. I gave up caring that much about it and just camp to desktop every time.
    It runs on an SSD, so TBH, it loads pretty fast anyways.
    The only time it annoys me is when I forget and camp regular and then my character is stuck in game and I need to reset comp. Sometimes it exits that char fast but other times I need to turn machine off for like 5 minutes...so I just usually camp to desktop <Shrug>

Good Luck
  3. MaxTheLion Augur

We have been experiencing similar issues on Phinigel. People will randomly get disconnected while zoning or after taking certain actions (dropping out of armored suit during Morell Castle raid).
  4. Moranis Augur

I've had some luck with the temporary solution of deleting that character's UI file - but it doesn't fix it for the long run. I've had this problem for a while now and even created multiple threads asking for help...but alas, it has fallen on deaf ears it seems.

My best solution was to make a burner character and /copy the UI over to him. Then delete your main characters UI, relog, and then /copy the UI back over. It seems to work for a little while and then you have to repeat the process again. Sucks.
  5. Geroblue Augur

EQ II has had problems where zoing causes dump to character select. Then it goes away, and then comes back. It is almost impossible to alt-tab in EQ II, but there wasn't a problem doing this in EQ. Apparently the problem is in this game now. Hasn't happened to me in EQ though.
  6. Accipiter Old Timer

Or you could just use the "Reset UI to Default" checkbox on the character select screen.
  7. Meridian Augur

This has happened to me off and on the last couple weeks.
  8. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

I don't have an issue with the game process just ending itself, but about half the time I log out it goes to the login screen instead of the server select screen and then about half that time it will eventually give me a "time out" pop up and then go to server select.

The only thing I can do if it sticks on the login screen is X out the window.

It's fine, it's just weird and doesn't seem to be working as intended.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

This has been happening more lately. Pro tip: If you intend to completely exit the game do

/camp desk
  10. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

Does this save UI changes? That's pretty much the only reason I fully camp and log out anyway. I tweak my UI constantly because... I don't know why I do it.
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

It's no different than going the long way.
  12. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

Cool deal. Good to know.
  13. a_librarian Augur

my theory is that adding chat tabs basically destroyed the game and is the cause of a ton of recent crash-to-desktop problems
  14. Mithra Augur

Been having the game close on camp for awhile and it recently got even more annoying with a crash box notification.
  15. Conspiracy New Member

When I came back after several years break this happened to me so I did a complete reinstall of the game and it fixed it. I'm not sure what file caused it but thats how I fixed the issue.